07 May 2010

Friday Wrap-Up


~*~*~

If you pay attention to google you likely noticed that it is Tchaikovsky's birthday. I've always been a big fan of Tchaikovsky, although I prefer his lesser known symphonies over the likes of the Nutcracker and the 1812 Overture.

Take Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, "Pathétique", 1st movement (Part 1), performed by the Adagio. Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala of Milan and directed by Yuri Temirkanov.



Ahhhhh ... I don't care what anyone says, it just doesn't get any better than that ...

~*~

I had to do something this week that I've never had to do before - order flowers for a memorial service.

Cam's girlfriend's grandmother died last week. We had the opportunity to meet her a few months ago and both Cam and I were invited to her memorial today. Although I won't be able to attend, it was the first time I've felt a desire to attend a service like this - not because I knew Grandma K well, but because I wanted to support the family during their time of grief.

Does this mean I'm finally growing up?

~*~

Last Friday was my 4th wedding anniversary. Husband and I went to dinner together. Yes, that's a little odd considering we haven't lived together for 5 months now, but it seemed the "right" thing to do.

I will admit, I still have moments of hope. I take my wedding vows pretty damn seriously and struggle with the thought of going back on my word ... even when husband has already done so. I don't see wedding vows as reciprocal agreements - for better or for worse as long as you hold true to your commitment to for better or for worse - but rather as a commitment to the end result ... no matter what.

Yet spending those few hours with him last week brought back a flood of negative emotions and a reality slap up along side the head. I talked about family. He talked about work. I talked about goals and priorities. He talked about work. I talked about the future. He talked about work.

*shakes head* I just don't know if he has he capacity to give anything - or anyone - as much as he gives his job.

~*~

My favorite picture from my Project 365 blog this week was the one I took for The New York Times "A Moment in Time" project. From their website:

Attention: everyone with a camera, amateur or pro. Please join us on Sunday, May 2, at 15:00 (U.T.C./G.M.T.), as thousands of photographers simultaneously record “A Moment in Time.” The idea is to create an international mosaic, an astonishingly varied gallery of images that are cemented together by the common element of time.


I was quite happy with how this turned out.



~*~*~

10 comments:

Doc said...

Nah you aren't growing up... We never will. (and thats a good thing)

Schmoop said...

Doesn't get any better than that? Have you seen and heard The Scorpions perform with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra!? Magic, Baby, pure magic. Cheers Dana!!

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...

That was nice you sent flowers. I hardly ever think to send flowers. I should. Nice thought though. I really got mixed up as I thought you were now divorced. Sorry dinner didn't go well. You have done a really awesome job on your pictures.

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

May I swipe this pic for my desktop? I love it.

Anonymous said...

Love the dandelion pic. You can see the motion captured in that one little bite of time. Neat dichotomy - time stops, motion doesn't, motion stops, time doesn't

One thing I learned from our couples counseling - men tend gauge their status through their job. It's how they (we) measure how valuable and important they (we) are to society. Sounds like the Husband is REALLY tuned in to that channel.

JP said...

Sorry you had a sucky anniversary... I know the feeling.

Osbasso said...

HA! I was going to mention Metallica with the S.F. Symphony. But I do love me some Russians!

Jay said...

Tchaikovsky is okay, but I bet he would struggle on Country Music Week on American Idol. ;-)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Loved the music....sorry about the reality at dinner