05 May 2010

Don't Shoot!

~*~*~

On the heels of a violent baseball bat attack in a "prestigious" Chicago neighborhood that critically injured two young women (one of whom is still in a coma), Chicago's Mayor Richard M. Daley is promoting round seven of Chicago's voluntary gun buy-back program across the city ... because guns kill people ... baseball bats just fracture their skulls and permanently disable them.

Head to one of 22 Chicago area locations with your spare weaponry and you can earn a prepaid MasterCard to purchase better guns, drugs, nutritious foods for your family - no questions asked.

Got an unused assault weapon you couldn't get rid of at your last garage sale? That will net you $100. Not to worry, that riffle you used to kill Bambi last fall (along with any other non-assault gun) will earn a $75 gift card. Regretting your decision to buy little Ralphie that Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas? The city will pay $10 for any BB gun, air gun or replica gun.

I am not a huge fan of guns - especially guns kept in homes for "protection" by people who have no business riding a bicycle, let alone having access to a loaded weapon. I will likely never have a gun in my home as I believe they have far more potential to hurt someone unintentionally than they do to actually defend their owner against harm. But ... but ...

I feel very much the same way about my "right to bear arms" as I do abortion. I likely won't use my "right" in either case, but I don't want the government taking that "right" away from me either.

I can't help but wonder how the money being used to fund the gun buy-back program might have better results being used to fund community programs in more violent neighborhoods, or to improve a school in an inner city neighborhood.

That saying, "Guns don't kill people - people kill people" may be corny and over-used, but you know what? It is true. This country doesn't have a gun problem. This country has a PEOPLE problem.

~*~*~


11 comments:

Schmoop said...

I agree wif ya. And by the way...The only I gun that I keep around, is the 3.57" Mattnum that I keep in my pants. It's always loaded too. Cheers Dana!!

Karen said...

I am proponent of responsible gun use and ownership. I own several gun and they are kept in a locked gun safe in the basement which requires a key and combination to open.

I prefer my kitchen cleaver and/or baseball bat for home protection.

Deech said...

Amen. Problem we have is that the Government does not have good laws on the books for Gun Control.

Everyone has the right to bear arms...for a price. The price should be that the Gun is properly registered and that the Government should sponsor Bi-annually or Annually re-registration requirements to keep track of all the guns purchased. The Government should create hoops for gun ownership and those that want to own a gun should not complain about it because the intent is to have the guns in the right hands and not the wrong ones.

Jay said...

I'm a gun owner and not an advocate of gun control. Well, not beyond what we have now, which is much less than some people claim it is.

Handguns aren't something I consider for home protection. A shotgun would be better.

As for this gun buy back program? Sure, it may be ineffective and a waste in the time it takes me to post this comment, our government will have wasted more tax dollars on corporate welfare programs than all these gun buy back programs in cities across the country combined.

Anonymous said...

Our local gov't has done a gun buy-back program a couple of times. It's pulled a few hundred guns in off the streets, I'm sure. But like the baseball bat incident the other day shows, if you want someone dead bad enough, lack of a gun isn't an issue.

Anonymous said...

We are gun owners as well. And are advocates for appropriate gun control - that doesn't look like the govt is attempting to control how many and what kind of gun we are allowed to own. I'll have to move out of Cali if I want that.

The buy-back programs are frustrating. The reality is, the people who have the guns but shouldn't have them, aren't going to turn them in. And what we end up with is more families that cannot protect themselves in the event of an emergency. We all know that relying on the police to show up when we need them is not smart, there just aren't that many in the field anymore.

*sigh*

peace...

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I do not get automatic weapons other than to commit crimes..you do not use them for hunting..same for handguns...get them both off the street...

we're doomed said...

People problem it is! The solution to a people problem is responsibility. But who will make people be responsible?

Kim said...

Consider this two things I agree with you about.

It does sometimes happen. LOL

I don't mind guns used for hunting, my brothers are hunters, meat is tasty, do the math. But I don't think ANYONE needs to have a semi-automatic weapon. And it seems for every gun used to "protect" the family it has also been used against you or a child has found it.

As for the program to buy back guns, it never really fixes the problem, so save the money for something else.

Vixen said...

Man, I couldn't have written this better myself. So I'll just say- yep. On all accounts.

Little T said...

Totally agree!