12 May 2010

I ♥ Boobies


~*~*~


Have you seen these bracelets? They are sold by a California based not-for-profit agency called the Keep-A-Breast Foundation. The Foundation's mission (from their website):

... to help eradicate breast cancer by exposing young people to methods of prevention, early detection and support. Through art events, educational programs and fundraising efforts, we seek to increase breast cancer awareness among young people so they are better equipped to make choices and develop habits that will benefit their long-term health and well-being.


Well, they've raised awareness all right. These bracelets are a hot commodity for the middle school crowd. In fact, my son purchased one at the mall Monday night. No, I didn't buy it for him - in fact I wasn't even there - he purchased it during a visit to the mall with a friend and her parents. That said, I don't have a problem with him wearing it ... except ...

I saw that he had it on yesterday morning on the way to school. There are a few things I know. One of the things I know is that it doesn't matter how many kids are wearing these bracelets, Cam will be called out for it.

I asked Cam if he thought it was a good idea to wear the bracelet. He, in true Cam form, gave me every excuse reason he should be able to wear it, including that it was for breast cancer awareness and that all of the other kids are wearing them. I explained that it was his choice, but that if he got sent to the office I didn't want to hear any whining about it. He knew the risks. He needed to deal with the consequences.

Well, as fate would have it I had to pick him up early from school yesterday for a psychologist appointment. When I went to the office to sign him out, the secretary came up to me and gave me Cam's I ♥ Boobies bracelet, letting me know that Mr. W (the principal) had asked that she return it to me.

Apparently, this is an issue in many schools. There is currently a news story out of Silverdale Washington where a principal of a secondary school has "banned" these bracelets saying, "... the "boobies" reference causes problems in classrooms when some students made inappropriate gestures ... some staff members who are breast cancer survivors find the bracelets offensive."

Ahhh ... here we go again ...

Where does the right to free speech infringe upon the rights of others? I was told by Cam's school that when male students wear the bracelets it is considered "sexual harassment", but that the girls were allowed to wear the bracelets as they had a vested interest in breast cancer awareness.

Ummm ... yeah ...

Guess what? Cam wore his I ♥ Boobies bracelet again today - turned inside out so that the writing wasn't visible. Now, I can't say how long that lasted once he went into the school, but I did tell him that if the bracelet was confiscated again, I would not pick it up.

I'm not looking to get in to a parenting discussion here, although some of you will - no doubt - succumb to an overwhelming urge to tell me what a crappy parent I am for allowing my 14 year old son to wear this bracelet. I am curious as to what y'all think about the gender discrepancy issue here. Does it make sense? Is it fair? Is it right to assume girls are wearing the bracelet in support of breast cancer awareness, but boys are wearing them only for the sexual innuendo factor??

Well ... maybe there really is no need to answer that last question ...

~*~*~

19 comments:

Doc said...

I think both sexes of teenagers are wearing it to "provoke" a reaction and not to "promote" awareness.

(BTW I <3 Boobies too)

Schmoop said...

The bracelets are fine but why the Boobies thing at that level? I agree there is a double standard in this instance, but... Neither should wear the one with that Boobies thing on it. There teens. Doc's right, it just for the giggle effect at that age be they male or female. Cheers Dana!!

Jay said...

Well the whole free speech thing for kids in school all way up through high school has been settled many times. They don't have it. Not inside the school anyway.

I do disagree that only women have a "vested interest" in the issue of breast cancer. For one thing men do get breast cancer, but it's a lot more rare for them to do so. But, anyone who has lost, or might lose a mother, grandmother, wife, sister, best friend, or anyone else to breast cancer has a vested interest in it too.

But, I also agree that middle school kids are mostly wearing them for giggles. If they're so big on supporting breast cancer awareness they can wear one of those pink ribbons. So, there are alternatives for them.

Aaaand, if Cam is all about supporting causes like that, my sister has a bunch of MS Awareness bracelets. I'm sure she would be happy to send him one that he can wear. ;-)

Karen said...

There is no way on God's green Earth that those bracelets should be allowed in a middle school. No matter is worn by a boy, a girl or a teacher. As a side note, I don't think they are appropriate for any work environment.

And as Jay pointed out, kids do not have the right to free speech at school. And I kind of feel that they shouldn't have it at home either. If any kid says he or she is wearing that bracelet to support breast cancer he is full of crap.

Dana said...

Doc, nooo! You mean girls might be trying to provoke a reaction from boys?? *gasp*

Matt-Man, well, I agree, but I also know that a fascination with boobies (and all other things sexual) at 14 is well within the "normal" range. Is it appropriate for school? Ummm ... no! It's no more appropriate than a beer logo'd t-shirt ... which also isn't allowed under the school dress code.

Jay, I am aware of the right to privacy (there is none) in the public schools - I guess the freedom (lack) of speech issue is very much similar. I found it interesting that the school assumed that girls couldn't possibly be exploiting sex by wearing these bracelets, but that boys could ONLY be exploiting sex by wearing these bracelets. Just seems very short sided.

And I'm sure Cam would love to wear an MS awareness bracelet! He wears "Live Strong" (testicular cancer awareness) and "Army Strong" bracelets as well :) Do the MS awareness bracelets come in bright colors?? :)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am on board with the rest of your commenters, the bracelets are not school appropriate.

As has also been pointed out, there is no free speech for kids in school...the schools control the speech regulations.

There are other phrases that could be used on these bracelets for school-age children or just a bracelet with a pink ribbon

captain corky said...

I can see how a principal wouldn't want the disruption that would come from a building full of middle school chaps wearing boobie bracelets, but the reaction from the staff is fucking absurd.

Jay said...

I just thought of something. If I made up a bunch of bracelets raising awareness for testicular cancer that said "I (heart)Balls" would the boys at Cam's school be allowed to wear them? By the principals logic, I would say yes. hahaha

Also, I agree that I don't have a problem with Cam wearing that bracelet. He's old enough to know and accept any consequences to wearing it either at school or at the mall.

And, to answer your question, YES, the MS bracelets do come in many colors. They used to be red, but changed to orange and they also have some fancy shiny metal bracelets too.

http://www.msstoreipp.org/jewelry-bracelets-c-2_19.html

buffalodick said...

I think about cooking...sometimes it's bad to keep stirring the pot all the time..My mom had a double masectomy, and my wife has had three surgeries removing benign cysts...I understand, and at 14, I wouldn't have.

Dana said...

Vinny "Bond" Marini, Agree - inappropriate for school!

captain corky, and maybe that same principal should make sure the middle school girls aren't wearing push-up bras and low cut shirts? I think those "boobies" cause far more disruption!

Jay, I think I'm going to see if I can get some I ♥ Balls bracelets made up and distribute them to all of the middle school boys! I'm sure that would go over well!!

And ORANGE!! Orange is Cam's color! Must do a little searching for those on the internet.

Dana said...

buffalodick, I'm not stirring the pot Buff, but that *is* a lesson Cam needs to learn, and this is a great platform for that to happen!

Dana said...

Karen, I would take it a step farther and say they should not be allowed in any K-12 school.

That said, I do not take issue with Cam choosing to wear this bracelet outside of school (and yes, I do know him wearing the bracelet has NOTHING to do with breast cancer awareness). He is aware of what he is doing - he is aware there may (will) be consequences - and he is old enough to start making decisions like this on his own. If he were 9, I'd be singing a different tune.

Karen said...

I would wear the I *HEART* Balls bracelet!!

Kim said...

Basically on board with everyone else. Just for the giggle effect.

I would however, wear the I *Heart* balls bracelet. Even one that said "let me squeeze yours in the name of health!" but then again, I am rarely allowed out in public ;)

Dana said...

Karen, I did find a website that makes custom bracelets and I *do* have another blogiversary coming up. Hmmmm ....

Kim, but would you wear one that said "I'll steep your teabags"???

we're doomed said...

I don't think the bracelet is going to work at a school. In a perfect world it should be ok, but!!!... Well you know. I think Cam should pick his battles more carefully. Believe me when I say I feel his pain. QCTM However, these battles are always an inherent way to flush out the hypocrites, bigots and assholes so they do have some positive effects.

Real Live Lesbian said...

A friend of mine has one of their t-shirts. She also has one that says....

Suck it up, Buttercup

which is another great lesson.

Anonymous said...

The smart thing for the school to do would be to level the playing field and ban the bracelets from campus for ALL students, faculty & staff.

Otherwise, I'm going to be like Jay and start yet another support group. My group is against the senseless killing of male chickens too old to be used for breeding anymore. Instead, they should just be out out to pasture like old horses. Know what it's gonna say?

I (heart) cocks!

How long before that gets banned?

Susan said...

Wow, this whole thing is disgusting. Kids using a breast cancer awareness bracelet to be provocative. A supposed charity for breast cancer awareness using "I love boobies" to solicit money. As a breast cancer survivor, I'm grossed out by the whole thing. That said, I want my rights so I have to respect others.