04 November 2009

!!WARNING!!

~*~*~*~*~

Emmy, over at Right Turn Without Signaling, shared her Warning Label post the other day, and in a fit of life has been too serious the past couple of days true admiration, I copied her! You can find the link to make your very own personalized WARNING labels at the bottom of this post.

Let's start with this one, shall we?


You know how sometimes you don't realize how odd some part of your life is until you read about someone else identifying it as odd? You know ... what you do every day seems normal because that's what you do!

I have always hated pictures of myself but could never really put into words why that was until I read a recent post by John Elder Robison (author of Look Me In The Eye) where he talks about noticing how different he looks in photos when compared to others and not having a sense of when posing is OK, what kind of pose is OK and how to get a natural smile on command. It's a fascinating read - one of those where I read and said to myself, "Self? That's EXACTLY why you don't like yourself in pictures. They remind you that you don't fit in."

For people new to my blog or who give me too little credit, there is this one:


I have said it before, I will say it again - sometimes I blog (or comment) an opinion that isn't completely in line with my own opinion in an attempt to argue - and better understand - the other side of the story. It's something I've always done (too bad we didn't have a debate team in school) and honestly I think it makes me a better person!

Next up?


Don't know what it is about my writing, but I have often been accused of being "holier than thou" or of attempting to "belittle" others. If you could crawl inside my brain and heart, you'd know how far from the truth that is, yet the accusation seems to linger like flies on poop. I've tried to alter how I write in order to communicate more effectively, but it just doesn't work. This label is for all of you who think I believe I'm better than you. I'm not, but I might be more like you than you'd want to admit!

And finally ...


I think many of you would be surprised to learn that most days something said on my blog, or something said on another blog, touches me so deeply it brings me to tears. Sometimes those are tears of joy and sometimes they are tears of pain, but the tears are frequently welled up in my eyes, just waiting to spill over. I've got the walls of Fort Knox on the exterior, but it really takes very little to knock them down.

Anyone else want to generate some warning labels? You can get your very own here!


~*~*~*~*~

16 comments:

Brian said...

Love the idea and already have a couple ideas. I'll have to come back and leave a link.

Btw - I've always considered you sensitive, insightful & compassionate. I also agree with you that sometimes trying to argue FOR a point that you don't always agree with is a great way to gain some insight into the other sides rationale.

Shiny Rod said...

We should all come with warning labels. Mine would read:

Caution: Close contact could result in total loss of memory and a sudden urge to get nekked.

LMAO, not really but it sounded good.

Deech said...

These are classic! I love 'em.

Schmoop said...

Cute...I can see how some of those labels could apply to me as well. Well, except for one...

I think my ego is just as huge in real life as it is in Cyberspace. Cheers Dana!!

Emmy said...

Love your labels!

I do like your one that is "Be Careful"...I think that can apply to many more people than some expect.
~Emmy

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a great idea! I try to remain fairly neutral on my dusty li'l corner of the web, but today's topic might stir up bad vibes - although I did try to emphasize that I lucked into my situation.

Jay said...

These are pretty cool. I think a lot of us come across differently on our blogs than we really are.

Like me. If you read my blog you would think that I was a sweet, thoughtful and optimistic kind of guy. ;-)

Real Live Lesbian said...

I've always thought that I should come with a handbook. A couple of good warning labels might do the trick, too!

Vixen said...

I love these. :)

Jormengrund said...

I've got to say that these are interesting labels for yourself Dana.

However, I feel the need to point out something here:

You missed your photo op yesterday..

Was your cell phone just not working properly?

I've really come to admire the pictures that you take.. You have a great eye for detail and contrast that so few folks have or cultivate these days.. I miss the artistic stuff!

rage said...

Nicely done. I am sure I could think of a bunch for myself but frankly I am too lazy to do it right now.

kim-d said...

I really like your labels...it really got me thinking about what mine should say. Where did you go to make these? If you don't mind sharing...

I know one thing for sure. The way I perceive myself is far different from the way many other people perceive me. I think I'm a person that anybody should be glad to have as a friend, yet I have struggled with friendships. Maybe a label or two would help. It's just too bad that people can't automatically see what's in our hearts rather than just what's on the surface.

You would have kicked ass on a debate team! :)

Unknown said...

I've always thought you write so very well. I've never thought you had a big ego, just excellent grammar! You could quite possibly write columns in a magazine on issues that are important to you, and you could get paid! I used to know of several, but considering I can't remember ANYTHING lately, I don't remember the sites, either.

Anyway, I love the "BE CAREFUL" label. That should be stuck all over my body.

Lu' said...

I believe I know you to be a softy but you do come off as one tough cookie and I'm NOT saying that I don't like that about you.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Ah hell--do not change your writing for anyone...let them find somewhere else to hang out if they do not like YOU

PEACE GLOBES ROCK!

John Robison said...

Those are some nice box labels you have there . . .