23 November 2009

How's The Weather Up There?

~*~*~*~*~

Y'all know I'm tall. Not that piddly 5'-8" tall, but a full 6' tall. That means that, when wearing my new fall boots, I'm over 6'-2" - a height most men dream of hitting.

I often hear women say they are envious of my height, but I think if they knew the reality of being this tall, they might change their minds.

Anyone want to guess on some of the idiotic comments usually said by (unfortunately) short men?

"Do you play basketball?" (Because we know every woman over 5'-8" plays either basketball or volleyball) "What's the weather like up there?" (It was warm and sunny but it just got a bit icy) And my favorite, "I'd like to climb you." (Really? Do you have your carabiners and helmet handy because my motto is, "safety first.")

No, being tall isn't the end of the world, but it can be a little overwhelming at times. I can reach the highest shelves in the grocery store - just ask any of the senior citizens who regularly shop at my market who look longingly at the top shelf then smile when they see me coming, but I'll never blend into the crowd.

Guys? Girls? Got a tall woman fetish? Ever wondered how to woo an Amazon?

1. Stay away from the cheesy lines. We know we're tall. "Gee, you're tall," "How tall are you?" and "Do you play basketball/volleyball?" will likely get you nothing more than an eye roll.

Some of us even suffer from Tall Woman Syndrome. I love being tall, but standing head-and-shoulders above the rest (including most men) doesn't always feel so ... well ... girly. Tell me I'm smart, tell me I'm sexy, compliment my style, but please don't let the first words out of you mouth be, "Wow! You're tall!"

2. Get over it. Maybe you're a little intimidated. Here's the deal. I'm really OK with being tall. Please let it be OK for you too.

Intimidating men (and women) is not my favorite past-time. If you feel intimidated by my height, that's on you. Get over it! I don't care how tall you are, I care what kind of person you are.

3. Treat me like a lady. Yes, as a matter of fact, I can look Lindsey Hunter in the eye when wearing "low" heels, but I'm like every other woman on the inside.

Please don't ask me to hold my hand up to yours and exclaim over how big mine is or request to breed a basketball team with me.

My height is not an indicator of my character. As a kid, I was tormented for my stature. Not everyone was 6' tall in the eighth grade. If you love my height, let me know, but don't make a spectacle out of it. I'm no where near freak show status.

And guys? If you worry about what other men will think if your dating a woman who's taller than you are, my guess is it will be one of two things. They'll assume that you have a lot of money, or that your built like Ron Jeremy. Bagging a six-footer is big-game hunting.

*BANG*BANG*

~*~*~*~*~

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you are so funny. It's inside that counts for sure. I wish you the best Dana......

Tom
(SOXYES)

Schmoop said...

I am not shallow and much more sophisticated than to judge a woman based upon her height.

I have gone out with women taller than me and far shorter than me. I judge a woman by her inner intellect and inner beauty...

And her tits...The chick has got to have big tits. If a woman has boobs whose size runs inverse to the size of my wanker, I am one happy man. Cheers Dana!!

Karen said...

I am 5'11". Until I was in my mid-twenties I would never consider dating a shorter man - but then I got charmed by a guy whose personality was too perfect to resist.

Now, I prefer a taller, bigger man, but I'd give anyone a chance so long as he can make me feel feminine. There is still something about hugging or snuggling with a man who is bigger than me that makes me feel like a woman.

Vixen said...

All very good points. Most of which you would think were common sense, but as you pointed out- not always the case.

:)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

As I am only 5'9", I have dated women who were taller than I...naturally or heel-aided...no mind to me...I actually LOVE heels, so when a woman who was taller would say, well I will wear flats, I would say PLEASE DO NOT..

I am not a climber and I don;t really like basketball..so we are safe there!

LOL

Deech said...

OK, so you made this Joker laugh! And see, when you came to visit me, I did not find you as the "Tall Overbearing" as you sometimes portray yourself here on the blog!

And certainly your positive attitude and great conversation skills overshadowed any imperfections you feel you may have.....

So...with that said, when are you coming back to Texas?

Evil Twin's Wife said...

At just over 5 foot 9 (and have been since 9th grade), I've heard all the lines: Do you play basketball? Are you a model? I never wear heels and I've never dated anyone shorter than me. I prefer them well over 6 feet, but the Evil Twin is only 6 foot 1.

On top of being tall, I have a very small frame, so weighing 120 seems normal to me. It's where I feel comfortable...when I got married 16 years ago, I was 108 and less than that in college, so not only do I get the stupid "tall" comments, I get the "are you anorexic" comments too. Sheesh - and if I were, would I tell you? Nosy people!

Doc said...

I have never had any issues with women who are taller than I am (5'10") but i also never tossed out any silly ass lines like I am sure you have heard. I guess some guys are just intimidated by women of a larger stature than they are.

Dana said...

Anonymous, hey Tom! Good to see you!

Matt-Man, it is so refreshing to see a man who has his priorities straight!

Karen, I'm not sure I've ever dated a man taller than me ... at least not taller when I have heels on. I realized that at my height, if I was eliminating all men shorter than me, I was eliminating almost all men!

Dana said...

Vixen, actually, I don't think people realize just how much of a put-off it is. Not sure why ...

Bond, I can't imagine *NOT* wearing heels. I'll admit, sometimes it feels a bit awkward, but it's usually that feeling that makes me stand just a little taller!

Joker_SATX, that's because when I gave you that hug it wasn't just my arms that were hugging you *wink*

Dana said...

Evil Twin's Wife, I'll admit to getting the "Wow! You're so tall you could be a model IF YOU LOST WEIGHT" comment more than I'd like to. You never wear heels? We need to get you some 3-inchers!

Doc, I really have had more than one man tell me he'd like to "climb" me. I've gotten used to the "Do you play basketball" comments, but "I want to climb you" just seems a little to ... ummm ... I'm not sure there are words for it!

Al Penwasser said...

I'm 5"6" and my wife is taller than I am. It's never bothered me. Tall, short, thin, fat, beautiful, ugly, doesn't matter to me. I can't believe how dopey people can be to you!

Lu' said...

Ah ha I bet when you shop for pants every friggin pair isnt too long.

Dana said...

Al Penwasser, I think there are just a lot of dopey people in the world!

Lu', but Lu, when pants are too long you can hem them up. Too short? It's a little difficult to add fabric to the bottom ;-P

we're doomed said...

I think a lot of people look up to you Dana, figuratively and literally. LOL We all grow up to some height and grow out to some figure and weight. It's the inside package that makes the deal for the long term.

voyeur36 said...

I'm 5'10" and once went out with a girl who was 6'. It was interesting from a d/s point of view, but ultimately, I was too young/immature to continue topping someone taller than myself. Felt a bit odd in public. Tall white woman, short black guy.

Brandi said...

As one of those 5'8" women, I get a lot of the same ridiculous comments so I can only imagine the frequency with which you get them!

Another Suburban Mom said...

As a member of munchkinland (I am 5'4" due to my impeccable posture) I have always envied the tall girl. I hate being "cute" and not being able to reach stuff.

I always wanted to be the 5'10" girl prancing around in the 3" pumps.

Now I will have to just live vicariously through my beautiful amazon princess, who according to several of her doctors should be looking at a minimum of 5'10"! Woo Hoo!

Jormengrund said...

Aww Dana, you're not tall.

I'm 6'4". and could still look down on ya!

Heck, I even tease my "little" brother, and he's 6'3!

Last time someone asked me what the weather was like up here, I spit, and said "raining".

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

What about the pickup line, "Can you reach that thing on the top shelf for me, please...veeeery slowly..." ;)

buffalodick said...

I like dancing with tall women.. makes my nose feel like it's docking in a slip..