24 November 2009

Where's Dick Clark When You Need Him?


~*~*~*~*~

Abraham Harold Maslow. Fascinating guy. His parents were uneducated Jewish immigrants from Russia who pushed their children academically. I'm not sure if that "pushing" became isolation, but Abraham ended up marrying his first cousin. Although his education began in law, he is best known for his final destination - Psychology.

A friend reintroduced me to the concept of Maslow's hierarchy of needs about three months ago. She seemed to realize how stuck I was and that I was one of those visual learners. When I saw that pyramid, I wondered where my $10,000 question was I finally realized that not only was I stuck, but there was actually a logical, and overcomable (Is that a word? Blogger spell check doesn't think so) reason I was stuck.

Blame it on Maslow. Maslow was a monkey guy, and what he learned while observing the Ateles geoffroyi was that some needs take precedence over others. How profound, no? *said dripping in sarcasm*

Maslow took this idea and created his now famous (at least in high school psych class) hierarchy of needs. At the base of the pyramid are the physiological needs (food water, air, SEX, etc.) and at the top, self-actualization.

It took me looking at that silly pyramid to grasp what so many of you had said over and over again. This wasn't about the fact that you thought I was an idiot (well, at least some of you), but rather that I needed to be in a place where I could find safe circumstances, stability and protection in order to be all that I could be (I think I'll always be an Army commercial).

It wasn't until I found a place where my safety needs were being met (in a room full of 300+ middle schoolers, of all places) that I really started to feel the need for friends, affectionate relationships and a sense of community. I didn't realize how isolated I had become until I wasn't so isolated any more.

The apprehension of the move continues to cause anxiety. I did forced myself to tell my parents about it this weekend so that I couldn't "chicken out" at the last minute. Husband is in denial - he didn't even mention to D that the next time she comes for visitation Cam and I won't be here. It's really a rather bizarre time.

I know very little these days, but I do know what I'm doing is right. I know that getting my and Cam's safety back is critical. After all, how ever will we achieve Self-Actualization without satisfying Maslow's D-Needs?? *smirk*

~*~*~*~*~

7 comments:

Deech said...

And that's the Gag...In order to achieve these needs you have to take the greatest risk of all...the risk in yourself.

Some people can do it easily. Others buckle under the pressure of the unknown. What will the future bring?

That's where faith comes in.....

Vixen said...

What you said about *knowing* this is the right thing is SO important.

I'm proud of you. *hugs*

Schmoop said...

Prior to my bout with Pneumonia, I was "Self-Actualizing" at least three times a day. I can't wait until I fully recuperate and am able to get back to that daily regimen. Cheers Dana!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Once you have your own place, I have a feeling that lots of things will fall into place. When you're not constantly stressed about what's going to happen next, it's much easier to climb Maslow's ladder.

I personally think you've skipped around on it. But without the basic security underneath, it's hard for the rest to feel real.

xoxo

Me said...

hang in there. the next month will be rough but you just need to be strong.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm still extremely proud of you and I know you are tough and will get through this.

we're doomed said...

Good luck moving up the pyramid, Dana.