19 February 2008

TMI Tuesday

Ready or not, It's time for another TMI Tuesday! I have no doubt that all of you are just waiting on pins and needles to learn the answers to this week's questions.

TMI Tuesday

1. By what nickname(s) were you known as a child?

I've had only two nicknames in my lifetime - one given to me by my father (chipmunk cheeks) and one given to me by the Army("TJ" - the first two letters of my very Norwegian last name that no one in the Army was able to pronounce).

2. Do you have a favorite poem and, if so, what is it? Recite it (or a snippet) here, please.

The first poem I ever memorized remains my favorite. I came across it while reading "The Outsiders" (S.E. Hinton) when I was 11 years old. It's a gem from Robert Frost:

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

3. What is your greatest regret in life, something that you failed to do that you wish you did?

It's difficult for me to pick a single, greatest regret. On one hand, there are so many things I wish I had done differently, on the other hand I am where I am right now due to the choices (good and bad) that I've made in the past. Although my current circumstances may not be ideal, I am the sum of my experiences and most days I like who I am!

Regrets? They kind of hold you back. I'd much rather set goals.

4. You are tired and hungry, but it's too late to cook. If any snack food were available to you, what would you choose and why?

Peanut butter toast! There is nothing I like more than a slice of whole wheat bread, lightly toasted, with melted peanut butter on top. Fills me up and tastes YUMMY!

5. What is the oldest item of clothing (not jewelry!) that you wear regularly and what do you love about it?

I don't really have an answer to this question! After last year's weight loss, I had to replace almost all of my clothes (with the exception of shoes). If I include shoes my absolute favorite is a pair of Gore-Tex Army Boots. OK ... OK ... they aren't the most stylish pair of footwear, but they are extremely comfortable and NOTHING beats them in winter weather. They are 17 years old and still do an excellent job!

17 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

okey dokey chipmunk cheeks...LOL

Dana said...

DB, I *knew* I shouldn't have let that cat out of the bag!

buffalodick said...

A caring, gentle soul in Army boots... It's not who you were, it's who you are....Am I good, or what? :)

Doc said...

Oh yikes... chipmunk cheeks? *snickers*

Those are pretty good Dana.

Jay said...

Peanut butter on toast is very yummy. Especially when your not feeling well or are in need of some comfort snack.

Leighann said...

I love that poem.

The husband has tried and tried to convince me that The Outsiders is good, I've never given it a chance!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Chipmunk cheeks in Army boots! Gotta love THAT! :)

Dana said...

Buff, you are amazing! Maybe I should just forward my answers to you next week before posting them and you can give me the Cliff Notes version *wink*

Doc, it could have been worse - my nickname could have been shithead ... wait ... I think I may have heard that a time or too as well.

Jay, I *heart* peanut butter, even strait out of the jar.

Dana said...

Leighann, I was actually thinking about reading it again. SE Hinton was one of my favorite authors growing up.

RLL, boy - isn't that a strange visual!

g-man said...

G-man is the nickname I got in the army too. The G is from my last name as well. (I got it because I could not pronounce one Sgt's name so I started calling him Sgt K. then he started calling me G-man and it stuck.)

Peanut butter toast and bacon is almost better than sex. (when cooked right)

R.E.H. said...

17 Year old pair of army boots. Now that's quality footwear right there.

I can't keep a pair of shoes alive for more than two years at the most, still I buy the expensive ones...

Anonymous said...

if you can have a perfect answer, your number 3 was definately it!!
Great answers.

Dana said...

G-Man, funny how those Army nicknames stick, isn't it?

R.E.H., the Army does boots phenominally well!

SS, thank you! Regrets seem to waste a lot of energy.

Schmoop said...

A friend of mine went into the Air Force. She had a very long Spanish last name. They called her Airman Alphabet.

Peanut Butter Toast?...I love you and PB Toast. That is one thing helping me to get through my meatless Lent. Cheers Dana!!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, who knew there were so many peanut butter toast fans?? And here I thought I was *special*

Unknown said...

Peanut butter toast fan here too.....can eat it anytime.
Wish we had some bread could go for some now.

Dana said...

P, no way! Seriously, my family thinks my peanut butter toast is the strangest thing. Now I can tell them all that I am "normal"