18 February 2008

The Rest of the Story

First things first ... Birdman brought to my attention an oversight on my "The Day You Were Born" post - in a nutshell, I gave Mariah Carey too much credit! If you watched the video, you may have noticed that Mariah was not alone - Boyz II Men also performed AND co-wrote the song. Must give credit where credit is due.


Second, I finished up my first Picture Fiction Challenge project and it is ready to post on Wednesday. I am completely terrified excited at the prospect of sharing this creative endeavor. Anyone interested in participating in this challenge still has a few more creative days to "Get 'er Done!" Visit R.E.H. [HERE] for all of the details.



Last but not least, I thought I'd share a little background on the issues surrounding a few of my recent Sunday Secrets. I don't often talk about my family situation on this blog (at least not directly), but I'm thinking there just might be a few of you out there that not only can identify with my situation, but may even have some words of wisdom.

My family is a "blended" one. Husband and I have known each other for over 20 years, but have been in a "relationship" for just the last five years, and married just short of two years. Although we don't have any ours kids, we do have some his and hers kids. On husband's side, T1 is 20 years old, the bio son of ex-wife that husband adopted when T1 was 10. We also have D2 (13), bio daughter of husband and ex-wife. On my side we've got C3 (12), my bio son from a previous relationship.

"Blended" marriages/families are far more of a challenge than I ever imagined. They require that you take all of those ideas you've learned throughout life about what a marriage is and throw them out. Whomever said, "Love will conquer all" never had to deal with a blended family. We've got ALL of the struggles usually common in marriages coupled with a shitload myriad of additional challenges. It's no wonder second marriages experience a 62% failure rate.

We've had a difficult year. Both husband and I experienced a job loss - his in May of 2007 (he was unemployed for almost 4 months) and mine in November, however our biggest struggle has been in defining parenting relationships in regards to C3. As you may recall from a previous Sunday Secret, C3's father died about three years ago. C3 never met his father, although he did speak with him on the phone two or three times. Due to the non-existence of a father figure, husband has taken it upon himself to fill that spot. An admirable undertaking, but one that has been volatile at best - not because of any resistance by C3, but because husband's expectations and demands of C3 are far greater than his demands and expectations of T1 and D2. Husband also refuses to acknowledge C3's Asperger Syndrome (autism spectrum) diagnosis and would prefer to believe C3 is jusy "lazy."

Most recently, this manifested in parenting actions that crossed that proverbial "acceptable" line. Although I'm not comfortable sharing the nitty-gritty details, I will say that this was a serious breach of safety in the home - safety C3 deserves to expect but that was violated. Having grown up in a home where similar behaviors were tolerated, I knew that I had to do something about this now.

Of course, husband has shown a great deal of remorse, but that remorse has been sprinkled with bits of justification. In my world, there is no justification for what happened. I did something I never do - I gave an ultimatum.

In a manner beyond calm, I explained to husband that this must NEVER happen again, and that if it did there would be no discussion about the next step - C3 and I would leave immediately. I also demanded (yes, I really did!) that we begin family counseling immediately or again, C3 and I would need to leave, as I was concerned for his safety. Within three days, we were in the office of a family counselor and we continue with weekly visits.

I don't know where this will lead. Some days I think I will never be able to forgive husband's actions, other days I think I may be able to move beyond what I feel to be his ultimate betrayal, but I know that I will never forget what happened. I feel a great deal of anger (at husband) and guilt (at me) and no longer feel confident that I'm always doing the right thing. This week, I'll have the opportunity to sort through my own thoughts without having to deal with husband's thoughts. I see it as an opportunity to gain clarity and I plan to use it to my advantage.

32 comments:

Doc said...

That sounds like a seriously bad situation... I hope that what ever way it ends up working itself out that what is best for C3 is what comes out of it.

Dana said...

Doc, well it's certainly not a situation I ever invisioned myself - or C3 - in. If there is one thing I do know, it's that C3 is my ONLY concern right now.

g-man said...

Sending you the positive waves .... Take care of yourself and your son.

I hope you find clarity and wisdom in the relative quiet.

Hugs.

Leighann said...

I trust that you'll utilize this time wisely on your own, but I'm here if you want to talk. :)

Christo Gonzales said...

sounds like you have already decided but have yet to act

Dana said...

G-Man, I can use the positive waves and the hugs!

Leighann, thank you!

DB, I'm not sure if I've decided yet or not. The one thing that has happened through all of this is that I am now questioning what I thought I knew. It's a difficult and vulnerable place.

Unknown said...

Dana I know how rough it is to feel vulnerable but you have made some good steps in working towards a solution. Just know whatever the outcome we will be here for you.

Dana said...

P, I was hesitant to publish this post - it's not the happy-happy-joy-joy we all love to find when we open a blog - but it's been a big secret that I just couldn't keep inside any longer.

buffalodick said...

Well, I've never had anything as complicated as you have here, and would feel stupid offering advice on a subject I don't know as well as you do. I think you have made positive, constructive decisions so far- I just hope all gets better for you and your family...

Dana said...

Buff, like marriage in and of itself isn't complicated enough, *I* had to up the ante! I appreciate the well-wishes!

Real Live Lesbian said...

You did the right thing. You followed your gut. You are protecting yourself and your biological child.

Nothing else matters.

I wish you the best and may the peace of knowing you are doing the right things fill your soul.

Hugs,
Lynn

Jay said...

Well I would think that his acceptance of family planning is a good sign. As long as he is honestly going and putting forth effort. Hopefully things will work out.

Dana said...

RLL, thank you!

Jay, to his credit (and you have no idea how much it pains me to even type those words) he, too, seems to realize that this can never happen again.

Karen said...

That just gave me chills. You are strong woman to put your son's safety before anything else. Hopefully the counseling helps.

Dana said...

Karen, sometimes I don't feel strong and I wonder if a strong woman would have just walked away without ever entertaining any thought of a resolution.

MrRyanO said...

Dana, I wish I had something brilliant to say, but all I can say is that my "happy" thoughts are being sent your way. :D

Dana said...

RD, your happy thoughts are greatly appreciated! Just so you know, your (formerly) BTR show, along with the chat that accompanies it, have really been a bright spot! You *do* make a difference!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmm
Well it must be tough for both of you to parent the others kids. I am definately with you though on bailing if it happens again. Now he knows the result of his actions and therefor if he does it again he knows what will happen. Hedid the right thing though by going to see the theripist.
God luck up there!

Dana said...

SS, it is a little different from my side - T1 and D2 have both a mother and a father and are with us only for short periods of visitation. I am more of just a caring adult in their lives and do very little actual parenting.

But yes, it is difficult for both of us.

You can Call me AL said...

Dana, Your husband going to family counseling is and was a big step. I don't know exactly what transpired to upset the steadiness in your home but one positive I do see is your husband is trying to be active as a Dad.
My Wife and I don’t always agree on the proper way to handle discipline with our boys. She believes in “Time Outs”, I had to compromise with my own style of “Time Outs”. I’ll take “time out” of my busy day to whoop some butt! But I never do it in anger and always follow with discipline.
Laurie will ask the boys to do something and then counts, I in no way agree with this. I ask you do it immediately! What I’m trying to say Dana, parenting is full of mess ups and difficulties. I always remind myself that the first parent only had ONE RULE and he couldn’t keep his kids away from the apples.
You and your Family will be in my thoughts and I hope you the best.

Dana said...

Al, I agree - there is a balance to be had in child rearing and discipline, and we don't all approach it from the same direction. This was a case of husband losing his mind AND his temper and was beyond a simple ass whooping. Thank you for the positive thoughts!

Christo Gonzales said...

this could be a symptom of future problems...the tip of the iceberg so to speak...I raise my son without the the help of his mother, she is inconsistent and prone to violence just to rattle off a couple things...

Dana said...

DB, if there is one thing I've learned in all of this it is that bad behavior, when not addressed, escalates. My greatest concern is that you are absolutely right.

R.E.H. said...

This SO much explains your Sunday Secret, which I didn't quite get as I read it yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through this, and I hope you will find the answers you seek during those days you have to yourself.

My thoughts will be with you.

PS. Can't wait to read your PFC... now if only I can get my own done ;)

captain corky said...

Wow, that's a lot to deal with... I'm just glad that you have the strength to put your son's needs first. I hope things work out for the best, Dana.

captain corky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

R.E.H., yeah, the Sunday Secret was a bit more cryptic than usual, wasn't it? Sometimes my own shame gets in the way of being honest, but I felt it was important this time.

I can't even begin to tell you how nervous I am about the PFC.

Corky, you know, we all have a lot to deal with at times. Fortunately, I don't usually crumble under stress, but rather become hyper-focused. This situation became really clear, really quickly.

Anonymous said...

Wow
I'm so sorry to hear that story. That's not a fair situation for you or C3 to be in. I hope things go well in counselling.

Schmoop said...

Good Luck and finding your peace, safety, and clarity Dana. Cheers!!

Michael M. said...

Dana:

I never truly appreciated the blended family dynamic until I was in the middle of it myself. I don't understand understand what you are experiencing, but I understand. Understand? :)

The often quoted stat of blended families balancing out at around the 2 year mark seemed so contrived. Yet sure enough, at around 2 years, we all seemed to be more comfortable with our 'place at the table' and the worst - truly - of our initial 'blend' was behind us. Go figure.

I'll be thinking of you ALL.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, thank you!

Michael, I don't know that anyone really knows what to expect when blending families - it is a set of relationship dynamics unlike any other. Yes, I do understand ... I think!

Anonymous said...

Dana,
As a parent, I'm totally with you. Your son is first in all you do. Period. That said, it seems a good step that your husband is going to counsel. We all make mistakes, what makes the difference, is when we own up to them and correct them. Only time will tell, and issues like that are one of the few where ultimatums really make sense. Good luck and maintain the courage with which you have proceeded so far. If you do, you'll do the right thing.

God Bless,

FMD