16 February 2008

On The Day You Were Born


I was hoping to get in a "normal" post before Secret Sunday, but was having a difficult time getting serious enough to write about politics, or silly enough to keep you entertained with just words, and then ... there was something for me to copy a divine intervention. I was doing my Google Reader thing and discovered R.E.H. had done a little piece on "What was the no. 1 song on the day you were born" Cool! Something to blog about!

Clearly, R.E.H. is much younger than I am. His no. 1 song was The Partridge Family's, "I Think I Love You" Great ... not only did I have a David Cassidy poster hanging above my bed (oh the things he inspired me to do), but I had a Partridge Family lunch box and I had memorized all of the words to "Brown Eyes" (David Cassidy was singing that song to me, just in case you had any doubts!)

Anyone up for a classic? Does anyone who reads my blog actually know who Frankie Valli was?? On the day I was born Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had hit the top of the charts with "Rag Doll"



Ummm ... yeah ... I'm feeling a bit like a classic myself!

Just to make myself feel not quite so old for shits and grins, I decided to run my son's birthday. I occasionally hear this song played on the radio, so I must not be that old, right?? It's Mariah Carey's, "One Sweet Day"




Maybe I should add these to my iPod playlist ...

17 comments:

Jay said...

I LOVE Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons' music! Great stuff. I have a lot of their songs on my iPod.

Mariah Carey sucks. She's hot, but her music sucks. ;-)

Karen said...

Here in NJ Frankie Valli is a legend. A local boy and the focus of the Jersey Boy's broadway show. He is sort of like second fiddle to Frank Sanatra.

You can Call me AL said...

Last Train To Clarksville - By The Monkees

Was mine... I love that song!

I don't what the #1 song was when my sons were born BUT... I do know who the Playboy centerfold was.... That's good parenting right there folks!

captain corky said...

One Sweet Day, is an amazing song, and I heart Mariah. She has an incredible voice. I also like Frankie Valli, and Boyz II Men, too.

Anonymous said...

Apparently for me, it was "All you need is Love" By, who else, the Beatles. I remember as a kid listening to lots of Frankie Valli and Elvis. I wouldn't even try my kids birthdays, cuz all that music sucks. See, you got through the post with no politics.

Take care.

FMD

buffalodick said...

Trivia- I was born just 18 days before the charts officially began....Before that, I guess there was just white noise....

Dana said...

Jay, Mariah Carey isn't my favorite to listen to either, but she is one of my favorites to look at.

Karen, Frank Sinatra plays second fiddle to Frankie Valli in my world!

Al, I *heart* the Monkey's. I used to watch their show every day after school. I'm quite impressed with your Playboy centerfold knowledge!

Dana said...

Corky, I'd have never pegged you as a Mariah Carey fan ... well ... not of her voice anyway!

FMD, I'm not a Beetles fan (and no, I'm not a communist) but even I like "All You Need is Love"

Buff, here's to white noise! Sometimes it's better than the noise that comes from my radio these days.

buffalodick said...

I saw the Manfred Mann poster, and hoped you were going to play "Blinded By The Light"! One of my top 10 all time favorites! Also, "Do Wah Diddy"(There she was, just a walkin' down the street..)They are one of the few groups that actually had No. 1 hits in 3 separate decades! ("Mighty Quinn")

Osbasso said...

Mine was "All Shook Up" by the King. I can live with that.

Dana said...

Buff, I *heart* "Do Wah Diddy" - it's on my top 10 list as well!

Osbasso, anything Elvis is good!

R.E.H. said...

Ah... so you DID post about this then ;)

I was mighty curious as to what song you were born... to?

At least you got good music back in those days... Frankie Valli rocks! The Partridge Family... well, they just don't - you know - ROCK!

Unknown said...

Old, Dana? You’re not old. The “What was no. 1 on the day you were born” thingie does not even go back to the year I was born!

Yes, of course I remember Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

Unknown said...

The Long And Winding Road - The Beatles
Seems very befitting to me.
I do know of Frankie Valli, but must admit he wasn't on the charts by the time I remember music.

Anonymous said...

you should have given Boyz II men some credit there...they totally make the song and co-wrote it.

Good one though.

Dana said...

R.E.H., yes I did! I thought this was a fun - maybe because the Partridge Family didn't come up for me ;-)

P, another good Beatles song!

Birdman, let me take care of that oversight.

Leighann said...

"One Sweet Day" is ONLY good because Boyz II Men had a hand in it!

I'll have to check out mine and the kids songs and do a post about it this week!