27 February 2008

TMI Tuesday (on Wednesday)

I know, it's not Tuesday anymore, but it's almost Thursday. Yep! That would make it Wednesday! Here is yesterday's pre-empted TMI Tuesday.

TMI Tuesday


1. What can you consider as the greatest thing you've ever done for/ to yourself?


Although there are several that rank right up there, I’d have to say that going back to college (a 40th birthday present to myself) to finish my degree is up at the top of the list.


2. What/ Which part of your life you think you could have done better and why?


Wow! I could have done many things better had I known better, but all of those mistakes make me “wise” beyond my years. I think I’ll keep them all!


3. Do you have that one person whom you consider to be the wind beneath your wings?


You're kidding me, right?? The "wind beneath my wings?" How 'bout I change that one just a bit to the person who influences my daily routine the most. I would say the one person who “keeps me honest” is my son. Making things better for him motivates me to make things better for myself. I’d hate to think of where I might be in life without him.


4. Tell us about your longest relationship.


Technically that would be the one I am in now. My husband and I have known each other for 19 years although we’ve been married just short of two years. Our relationship started out as friends with benefits (before there was such a thing), then switched to just friends when he married his (eventual) ex, then to a dating relationship 5 years ago and eventually marriage.


5. In a relationship, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?


When it becomes clear that mutual respect has been lost – when there aren’t any feelings left (even anger) – then enough is enough. I’m really close …

18 comments:

R.E.H. said...

Some revealing answers there. That final sentence really hit me. Sorry to hear.

Goin' back to college... I've been thinking about it. I don't have a college degree either.

Besides - all those cute college chicks... would they be motivation or distraction? ;)

Doc said...

Sometimes enough just is enough....

Schmoop said...

Boy Howdy...There are so many things I could have done better or avoided doing...I have just recently quit fretting over them. Cheers Dana!!

captain corky said...

"Wow! I could have done many things better had I known better, but all of those mistakes make me “wise” beyond my years. I think I’ll keep them all!"

Great fucking answer!!! Kirk said something very similar in Star Trek V.

Unknown said...

# 1? Ditto for me! I still have 8 classes left before I get my BS, but hey, it's better than the 27 or so I had before!!!!

And I so agree with #5. But it seems I didn't realize that in my last marriage until my then husband called me from Iraq to yell at me about spending $40 from HIS account when I needed gas.

That was the straw!

Dana said...

R.E.H., go back!! College was far easier at 40 than it was at 19, even with all of the additional responsibilities.

Oh, and don't be too concerned about that last sentence - I'm still in the PISSED OFF mode so there is still hope!

Doc, that's pretty much it in a nutshell!

Matt-Man, if I spent much time on the past I'd be stuck there forever.

Dana said...

Corky, you know you only stopped by because you thought it was Thursday! I'm still trying to grasp the fact that I was mentioned in the same comment as Kirk.

Bina, you'll be done with those 8 classes in no time. And yes, it's those little things that finally put things in perspective, isn't it?

Jay said...

I went back to college to finish my degree too. Did wait quite as long as you did, and it hasn't worked out quite like I had hoped, but at least I did do it and have my degree.

Dana said...

Jay, mine didn't quite work out the way I had planned either, and now I'm looking at going back and getting a second degree!

Unknown said...

Great answers and I love that your son grounds you...my children really make a huge difference in my life, sometimes even more so than their father.

Leighann said...

I think the fact that C keeps you grounded, shows. :)

Dana said...

P, my son makes far more of a difference in my life than any "grown" man ever has!

Leighann, rather than the "wind beneath my wings," he is the downdraft on top of my wings ... but in a good way!

Leighann said...

--downdraft-- giggle

That's a good way to look at it!

buffalodick said...

Alot of your stuff needs longer comments than a quick, glib comment... I'm getting the picture, though... Weigh every decision, because everything will become a trade-off..

Jahooni said...

just five minutes ago i could have done it better but oh well, life goes on... ;)~

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about that last part. Really.

Jeff B said...

It's so great to hear how your son is a motivator for you. Sure wish every child could experience that kind of relationship.

Anonymous said...

We all have those things we could have done better, but it really only pays to learn from the mistakes because you can't go back. Almost makes those kinds of questions stupid. And kids do make us better people mostly, but I hate that song anyway so good thing you didn't go with that. If you have any brains at all, you do your best to make things right for your kids and in turn you get some character out of the bargain. As far as enough being enough, that's one you definitely don't want to make that decision while you're pissed off. I hope all goes well for you and the boy.

Take care,
FMD