23 May 2008

Suicide, The Beginning of the End - Part 5

If you haven't read Parts 1 - 4, you can find them here:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When we returned from our honeymoon, I started looking for another job. I was concerned that my illegal activities at work would catch up with me. I was paranoid, and rightfully so. I had been stealing from an employer who had given me a chance when I so desperately needed one.


I found another bookkeeping position with a local chain of grocery stores. The pay was great and the corporate office was within walking distance of our condo. It was yet another undeserved fresh start, and I kept waiting for the past to catch up with us. We never heard anything from the landlord in Wisconsin, and other than nasty letters from a collection agency that were easily ignored, there seemed to be little fallout from our months of of cheating the system in Wisconsin. I should have known things would spiral again.

Just a few weeks into my new position, “A” picked me up from work. The entire front end of the Isuzu was smashed in. The radiator was leaking and “A” was in a panic. He was involved in an accident at the intersection just a few blocks from our home and he drove away. There were other vehicles involved in the crash and he thought people were injured. He had been drinking all day. He didn't know what to do, nor did I. How do you fix something like this?

As we were headed home, there were several police cars and ambulances at the intersection. We took the back way to the condo to avoid any additional attention, but it was when he parked that I noticed the front license plate was missing from the truck, most likely left at the scene of the crash. When we got upstairs we devised a plan - “A” would continue drinking so that he could claim he had only started drinking when he returned from the crash, and I would call the police, telling them I thought he might have been involved in an accident. After about an hour, I did just that.

The police arrived and found our story highly suspicious. They knew, as well as we did, that there was far more to the story than we were sharing. They charged “A” with failure to yield and hit and run – they could not charge him with DUI as it had been over an hour since the crash and they had no way of proving that he had been drinking at the time of the crash, no matter what their suspicions were. It was the beginning of the end.

“A” sank farther and farther into what I now know was significant depression. He even asked me at one point if things could ever get so bad that I would take my own life. I thought it was an odd question - that he must be really concerned about me - but I told him there was always hope. He was worried about the truck, the pending charges for the crash, but I remained positive. The truck could be fixed (we still had it insured) and we would find an attorney to help out with the charges against him. I asked him then and there if he would ever take his own life and he assured me it would never happen. He lied.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


25 comments:

Lu' said...

I'm at a loss as to how to comfort you. It is easy to say shoulda coulda woulda, but unless we've walked many miles in your shoes... I had a man tell me once, when I was so much younger, that he would kill himself if I left him. While crying I said that is a choice you will make for you and I can't stop you. I wasn't being emotionally blackmailed into staying. He didn't kill himself and I believe he is married with, like 4 or 5 kids. I considered it once in high school, to kill myself, but I couldn't bare to hurt my Mom that way.

buffalodick said...

Alot of times hindsight is 20-20... When you are actually in the situation, you make the decisions that seem right at that moment...

Ken said...

hell of a story...your past!
still listening!

tt said...

You wrote and posted this at 5 am?? Good grief girl...how do you start your day with all this so fresh on your mind??..
I guess it's always there tho...yes?
Such drama in your life back then...and such strength you're showing now. Amazing.

Dana said...

Lu, awww ... I appreciate the comforting thought! Your story is quite disturbing ... but thank you for sharing it.

Buff, hindsight in this case is definitely 20/20, but then I've had almost 20 years to contemplate it!

Micky, I'm doing my best to wrap it up, and we are almost there!

Dana said...

tt, I actually wrote this entire story out a few weeks ago. I've just been chopping it up and posting it in bite-sized pieces that post at 5 AM. Drama? I think that might be an understatement *wink*

Christo Gonzales said...

lucky no one was injured fatally in that crash....

Schmoop said...

Rough times indeed. Somehow I know that tyou telling this may help somebody, somewhere. Cheers Dana!!

Unknown said...

I’m still with you, dear Dana, as you tell of those horrid days. I truly appreciate the sense of hope you had then.

Real Live Lesbian said...

You certainly know how to write a good story. Every time I come to the end of one, I have a dozen questions and just have to wait for the next installment.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that...but it's made you who you are. It someday will help someone. It probably already has. :)

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Lu' said...

Dana, gosh, thaks for the blog nod on my Birthday :)

Knight said...

He Lied but maybe he believed it at the time. I just had that same conversation last night. How interesting that is where the story took us today. As always, thanks for sharing Dana.

Dana said...

DB, lucky indeed! There were some minor injuries, and a great deal of property damage, but it could have been much, MUCH worse.

Matt-Man, that's my hope.

Nick, I lost it during the fallout of this story, however I found it again years later in the birth of my son.

Dana said...

RLL, I wish I could write fiction like this! You'd think, from the experiences I've had, that it would be much easier for me.

Lu, of course! Hopefully you'll get lots and LOTS of birthday wishes.

Knight, looking back, I think he knew then, but I also think he was doing what he thought was best for me.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

hummm I was here and read it earlier and thought I left a comment...

This is one life-story Dana... I continue to remain entranced.

Unknown said...

Dana, one theologian has divided the psalms in Book of Psalms in the Bible into three genres:

Psalms of Orientation (everything is OK)
Psalms of Disorientation (ain’t nothin’ OK)
Psalms of New Orientation (things are different, but everything is again OK)

I’ve found that my life has pretty much followed that pattern.

As you write about/sing your psalm of disorientation, I understand how hopeless than can be. Of course, since I know you now, I am aware that a new orientation has come for you.

Blessings, my dear!

-- said...

You need to sell this as a screen play to Livetime. You could make it where this benefits you. I know you turned down the idea earlier in a comment, but you never know what good could come from that. Excellent writing.

Dana said...

Bond, I swear I didn't DELETE you! It will likely finish up this weekend - I know many will be out of town, but I've come to a point where I need this to be finished.

Nick, thank you for those words ...

Cowboy, well, since the story is out here for the world to see, I may end up watching it on Lifetime whether I want to or not *wink*

Knight said...

If I worked for Lifetime I would already be offering you money for the rights.

Jay said...

At the time did you think he was capable of it. Or where things just so crazy that you couldn't focus on anything let alone that question he asked you about suicide?

Dana said...

Knight, and I'd just want to be sure some hot, young actress was playing me!

Jay, it really was about taking him at his word. I knew things were bad - I knew he was down - but with my limited life experience, I just didn't think he would do it if he told me he wouldn't. Now, 20 years later, I'd have handled it much differently.

As American as Apple Pie said...

Still listening and as others have said, thankful that no one was killed in that accident. I can imagine the fear and adrenaline that was running through your veins at that time.

Tequila Mockingbird said...

these things happen. when i crashed my car into a phone pole, i wasnt drunk, but i was on more than a couple substances. they never caught it until a few days later during the pee test before my emergency surgery.

anyway, you just do what you can to minimize the damage and move on. good call with your story.

Christo Gonzales said...

who are you? bonnie and clyde, natural born killers, some new breed all your own?

I could go to chicago and I could find you, just like you could come here and find me, or should I change the 'could' to 'will' ?

I only tell my stories out loud.

Most people think they are hiding when in fact they are not.

Am I wrong?

Dana said...

Apple, fear - just blatant fear. So ready to start telling the truth but trying to "protect" the man I loved.

Tequila, I suppose that's true.

DB, I'd say you are right ...