08 November 2010

Let's Play Pretend

~*~*~

It's Monday morning - a great time to play a little game of pretend - although some of you might be saying to yourselves, as you read this, "Pretend hell! That is real manufactured drama right there!"

Let's imagine you've got a bitch with someone in the blogosphere. Say they posted a blurb glorifying someone recently caught in the middle of a BIG cyber lie, or maybe someone took a picture you felt copied one of yours (for those of you unable to determine tone - I am making fun of my own manufactured drama here - not trying to justify my sometimes - Shuddup! It's only some times - over-the-top approach to things).

You decide you are going to take the issue to your own blog. Write a post or two calling them out for their "bad" behavior, or maybe you are defending yourself against an "attack" from someone else. Whichever the case may be, you are going to make an example of this person for all of the cyberworld to see.

This is the part where you'll need to focus on using your imagination because there are a bucket load of you out there that would never consider doing such a thing on your blogs. You are the non-confrontational types - the DM, email and chat bitchers. The ones who have a very strong opinion but you choose to share it with only a select few. You prefer your blogs not be weighed down with cyber wars because you ... well ...I'm not sure why you do that ... but you do and that is your prerogative.

So just how would you write such a blog post? Would you go all passive-aggressive, knowing the person reads your blog (gotta love StatCounter and Blogger Stats for "proof" that you have a "stalker" - which these days seems to be defined as someone visiting your blog that you wish wouldn't) and that many of your readers will know EXACTLY who you are talking about without mentioning their name, or would you link to their blog and the posts on their blog that you want to address, insuring there was no question as to who you were talking about?

More importantly, why would you make the choice that you make? Be honest. Comment anonymously if you prefer.

I am choosing not to respond to any of the comments on this post because my intent is really to understand those of you who do this differently than I do - not to argue/bully you into believing my way is the right way - even though it is - *gigglesnort*

Oh! And I promise not to follow up this blog post with another blog post making a public example out of you or your comments ... not that I would ever do such a thing ...

Tell me!!!

Please??

*EDIT* This post is not about me or anything I've done in the past (other than to make fun of myself for doing so) but came to mind while witnessing a "cyber drama" elsewhere on the interwebs. I'm not asking anyone for their validation on bloging the way I do - I'm just curious as to why you choose to handle things the way you do on your blog.

*EDIT V2* Since Hubman outed himself in the comments, his I AM the sanctimonious assbag! post was, indeed, the inspiration for my post today. Honestly? I'd have done EXACTLY the same thing he did under similar circumstances ... and in fact, I have.

~*~*~

23 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Me personally, I think I would start out not linking or mentioning the person by name or blog but then if things got out of control and I needed evidence of what I was saying I would not be above linking up to the evidence.

Karen said...

I would not involve myself in a cyber war. There is just no reason. In fact the one time I found myself in the midst of something yucky in the cyber world, I walked away from the issue and from a few people who I considered friends. I didn't need the drama. When I've had a specific problem with someone, I have addressed that personally through emails.

The more popular bloggers sometimes like to be bullies. But it doesn't ever make me feel good to make someone else feel bad. That is just not my personality.

snugs said...

you lost me at the stalker definition, damn it I am a stalker now... I am going to miss the troll days...I think you like us stalkers, you obviously like checking to see who all visits. You have to write the post because you have to have the drama, it's your MO, it's the crises addict in you! We expect it of you and you never dissapoint us, have a great Monday Dana!

Knight said...

I don't really understand why you want to have cyber wars. It doesn't accomplish much and makes everyone involved look crazy and dramatic. I guess that is great entertainment for the readers though. So, if it's for entertainments sake I say link everything up and make it as dirty a fight as possible.

Dana said...

*breaks rules* snugs this wasn't about me, nor was it about you because you are not a blogger, but I do appreciate you taking the opportunity to be self-absorbed in the comments section ... again ...

Jay said...

If I have a problem with someone I will address them directly through email, dm or whatever. If it can be worked out, great. If not, I simply move on. High school was a long time ago and it sucked, so I prefer not to relive it through blog wars or whatever.

If I have a disagreement with a blogger over something that isn't personal, I will probably state my opinion in comments.

But, if someone feels they must engage in the cyber war/blog war type thing that so many people seem to live for, they should name the blogger and link to the post they are in disagreement with. The absolutely most annoying thing bloggers do is the "Some other blogger who I will not name" crap. That's cowardly. It also usually only presents one half of the story.

And it drives me crazy not knowing who it is. The same goes for cryptic blog posts about other people having a blog war. SO SPILL IT BABE! WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? hahahaha ;-)

But, in all seriousness, blog wars, twitter wars etc, are a complete waste of time and almost always come across as childish. Sure, it's entertaining to watch it for a while, but eventually it gets old.

Deech said...

To me it depends on the war. I only fight the wars I can win! And I feel that lately there haven't been too many of those....

A good rule of thumb is to say that it is just not worth it. They would have to be uber-douches doing really stupid shit for me to give them that type of attention...

Knight said...

I realize my comment was worded so that it implied I was talking about you specifically. If should have read " I don't really understand why ONE would want to have cyber wars."

Hubman said...

Hmm, whatever could be the inspiration for this post...?

You know why I did what I did- someone was attacking me, repeatedly over the course of the last 2 months, while I remained silent. However, the attacker didn't have the balls to name me directly, so I choose to write a post so that others can see just who she was referring too.

And for your readers, just read my "I AM the sanctimonious assbag" post from Saturday.

You're welcome for the blog fodder Dana

Doc said...

Apparently I was too good at fantasy baseball... at least until the playoffs that is.. LOL!

Ken said...

You decide you are going to take the issue to your own blog. Write a post or two calling them out for their "bad" behavior, or maybe you are defending yourself against an "attack" from someone else. Whichever the case may be, you are going to make an example of this person for all of the cyberworld to see.

Imaginary or not, why even go someplace like this? Your always looking for crap (well, not always) to get people stirred up in what....in defence of you?

Dana said...

*breaks rule second time* Micky-T, if my writing this post was to get people to "defend" me, I should probably delete all of these comments that imply behavior like mine is sophomoric, don't you think?

Simple curiosity - nothing more - nothing less.

Mike said...

Cyber wars are no fun. I'll bale right away just to avoid any ongoing conflict.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

As you know I got blasted in a post a while back

I did not respond on my blog, I sent an email

it was never answered ... I moved on (though it did bother me to lose this 'friend')

I have seen enough battles on the internet and it amazes me people have to do this crap...

Osbasso said...

I get a big bowl of popcorn, a six-pack of beer, and sit smugly high up on the hillside to avoid getting hit by any mud. And it's much easier to sit on high and feel so much superior. :-) But in this instance, the entertainment value is waning. Time to move to a new one.

BTW--good for you! You spelled "prerogative" correctly!

Ken said...

I knew it! Snugs and I got an answer.
You should just relax Dana. This is no big deal, it's not a fight, it's just an opinion of what you blog about.

What's your opinion of what I blog about?
Go on.....give me some!

Schmoop said...

I dig calling folks out on my site from time to time, and it enjoy when I get called out as well.

Jumping into a good personal fray once in awhile can be quite cathartic, not to mention quite fun!!

Cheers Dana!!

Gina said...

I'd send my friend namastebyday a link on twitter so she knew what the hell I was talking about.

katherine. said...

I just stopped by to read the comments.

But since you'll know I was here...probably the only reader from Santa Cruz...I am saying hey.

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Directly through email is the only way to go. But this is coming from a Scandinavian, so--grain of salt and all.

snugs said...

geez woman, you have no sense of humor at all.. lighten up a little! And btw I really think you need to get laid!

Doc said...

Snugs, I think she would agree with one thing you said there.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't involve myself in any way. I tried to read through all the links that he had to her, and although I have NO idea who Sage is, and I'm a complete outsider who only knows what I just read, I think all involved have WAY too much time on their hands. Heck, I don't get involved in that much drama in real life, and I'm not going to do it here.

But I did find it amazing that she belabored the point in several of her posts. If she doesn't read his blog, how did she know about the stuff he was writing and what was in his comments?