12 November 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

There were a lot of comments on Let's Play Pretend post that indicated y'all thought I was talking about my own blog when I said, "gotta love StatCounter and Blogger Stats for 'proof' that you have a 'stalker' - which these days seems to be defined as someone visiting your blog that you wish wouldn't." I wasn't ...

I hate Stat Counters ... hate, hate, HATE them ... so much so that I get a little crazy when people start talking about stats. To me, it always sounds like "Neener, neener, neener - I am more popular than you are - and I know who you are and how long you read my blog." Yes, that would be my personal insecurities rearing their ugly heads. *shudders*

I look at my stats to see if there is unusual activity, like far too many visits, or folks coming from some other blog that I've never heard of. With the exception of one of my blog readers, I have no idea who stops by unless they leave a comment.

The reference to Stat Counters was specific to the situation I was discussing in that post - not my own blog.

~*~

Thanks for all of the support on the Invisible Ink post. It was clear many of you thought I was being too hard on myself.

I will admit to setting lofty goals - to having extremely high expectations for myself (but oddly, not others) - and to getting down on myself when I don't meet those expectations.

I struggle - a lot - with goal setting - what's reasonable - what's setting myself up for failure. I don't want to let myself just "get by" because *I* can do better than just getting by.

Ehhh ... one of these days I'll get it right.

~*~

Speaking of getting it right, this week I did something I've never done before - I altered a post based on reader feedback (and yes, that is cryptic and will stay cryptic).

My first reaction (kept silenced with a forcible tongue biting) was "Fuck you! It's my blog I'll do what I want," but I took my own advice and looked at things from the reader perspective.

This wasn't a threatening "you better do this" request from a reader, but rather a "this is how I feel" discussion. I decided to come up with a compromise that I felt maintained my integrity, yet addressed their concerns.

I had every right to dig in my heels and scoff the reader's feelings - it is my blog - but in this case, that really wasn't the "right" thing to do.

It felt good - hopefully for both of us.

~*~*~

8 comments:

Schmoop said...

I love my stat counter...More than myself. Of course, I hate myself so that's not sayin' a whole lot. Cheers Dana!!

Just Me said...

You are correct, it is your blog and you have every right to dig your heels in. ;)

Just like people to have to choice to not come back here when it is apparent that your blog & you drives them crazy.

But yet they seem to be drawn to you. :) Just face it, they may be Negative Nelly's, but they love you Dana. :)

Have a good weekend!

Doc said...

I enjoy my stat counter too!

Knight said...

I haven't even looked at my stat counter in years.

Sujomi said...

When I look at my stat counter I can determine when english teachers give students the assignment of translating e e cummings "r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r" poem. I get many visits by people who are searching for that.

Mike said...

I quit looking at the stat counter.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I have one...hardly ever look at it

Real Live Lesbian said...

I should go look at mine! I bet your blogs are skyrocketing my numbers!!! :)