03 November 2010

I Crumbled



~*~*~


If you read [THIS POST] you know that I wasn't going to do it. I was making a statement - doing something - by exercising my right to NOT vote.

I was provided a list of candidates that I felt were severely lacking in the ability to represent me and what I feel is important for my country. Democrats were too far to the left. Republicans were too judgmental. Independent, Libertarian and Green party candidates weren't attractive either.

It was a lesser of the evils vote - a vote against a candidate rather than a vote for a candidate.

I changed my mind a few hours after writing that post. I decided I would vote - for the only "non-candidate" issue on my ballot - a proposed Amendment to the Illinois Constitution.

As a voter, I'm not sure how to send the message that says, "None of you are worthy of my vote."

In comments, Hubman (click that link with caution - often Hubman is NSFW) mentioned that he'd love to see a "No Confidence" choice. That is what I needed yesterday - a "No Confidence" choice.

I hope that in my limited voting yesterday, my voice - the one that screams "NONE OF YOU ARE WORTHY" - is somehow heard and not misinterpreted as something else.

~*~*~

17 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Hey at least you DID SOMETHING! Lol Good for you!

Schmoop said...

Nothing wrong with that. I didn't cast a vote on every race on my ballot. Cheers Dana!!

Deech said...

I sincerely think you are not alone in these feelings. I believe that this is going across America right now....

Doc said...

Im glad you at least voted

Hubman said...

While I voted, I left my choice blank in a number of races, either those where I knew nothing about either candidate or if they were running unopposed.

You know, with the exception of today, that Hubman guy isn't as NSFW as you think, you clearly haven't visited in a while ;-p

Karen said...

I am glad that you voted. I often vote for the lesser of the evils.

I wish we got stickers here.

Knight said...

Can you imagine what a NONE OF YOU ARE WORTHY vote would stir up? What if you ran with this idea and started a campaign that it was part of the write in? I'm betting a whole hell of a lot of people would jump on board with that. Maybe it could make a difference? Interesting to think about.

Dana said...

Raquel, I think you miss that sometimes making a conscientious choice to do nothing is doing something :)

Matt-Man, remember me? Black/white thinking? It never occurred to me that I didn't have to mark a choice for EVERY SINGLE race.

Joker_SATX, I agree, I just think people chose a different path than I did as voter turn-out for midterms was amazingly high.

Dana said...

Doc, the guilt and peer pressure were overwhelming!

Hubman, so I picked the right day to send everyone over there? ;)~

Dana said...

Karen, I just want good candidates - real people who know what it's like to be a real person :)

Blogger Knight, kind of like that "The rent is too high" guy?? Maybe next election I'll see what needs to be done to secure a "You are not worthy" party. It *is* fun to think about!

Sujomi said...

I'm glad you voted - And no, you don't have to completely fill out the ballot. When you hold back your vote in the voting booth, it IS sending a "No Confidence" vote. I know our precinct summaries show the total number of people who actually voted - so if 200 people showed up to vote and say, 60 people voted for one candidate and 40 for the other, then that still leaves 100 voters who didn't think that either one of them were worthy of their ink. It can give the politicians something to think about when they are analyzing the voting results.

Maggie said...

This was an excellent solution and I'm also totally behind the "no confidence" option.

Mike said...

It was good that you voted on the recall item. I'm sure you voted for it didn't you? I'm glad it passed.

Hubman said...

Well if by "everyone" you mean the 8 readers who have come to me so far by way of your blog, then thanks! ;-)

Anonymous said...

In this democracy we have a choice to vote or not. However, I am glad you treked to the ballot box and made your statement. Having served all of the world; I have realized what a precious commodity we have in the ability to vote.
Chris

Jay said...

The way our system is currently constructed, it's doubtful that you will get any "good" candidates anytime soon. Only the corrupt have any desire to run for office these days. Mostly because all campaigns are a race to the bottom.

Vicky said...

At least you get the choice NOT to vote, here in Australia you get fined if you don't vote, which means that you have to pick some ****head :)