22 November 2010

Saturday 9 - Thanksgiving edition



~*~*~


It's Thanksgiving week, historically a slow week in blogger land. Since no one will be reading, I figure a little meme is in order. And yes, I do realize it isn't Saturday, but I decided to live on the edge this week!

~*~

1. Tell us about your very favorite (yes we know that's redundant) Thanksgiving.

My very favorite Thanksgiving would be one where I was with family. Traditionally, Thanksgiving was the one holiday where my entire family got together. Christmas? Easter? Not so much, but you could count on a house full of 40-50 people every Thanksgiving.

The women prepared the meal, the men carved the turkeys and brought all of the food to the table and the kids did all of the dishes.

Good stuff!

2. What are you doing for Turkey Day this year?

Well? Probably nothing. It looks to be just like any other day here.

There were hopes of heading out east for a blogger Thanksgiving, but I just can't get caught up enough financially to set aside cash for air travel.

Damn it anyway! I was looking forward to getting felt-up by the TSA folks!

3. If you were to go to somebody else’s house, what would be your favorite dish to bring?

My family's traditional Thanksgiving dishes differ a little from what I've seen served anywhere else. There is no green bean casserole, but there is green salad and pea salad.

The green salad is not the leafy goodness that comes to mind, but a lime Jell-O, cream cheese, pineapple and mini-marshmallow fluff of greatness. It is the only way I'll consume Jell-O.

The pea salad is probably what I would bring. Peas, green onions, chunks of cheddar cheese, water chestnuts, a mayonnaise based dressing and BACON!!

Yum!

4. Tell us about the funniest person that you'll be with this Thanksgiving.

I guess that depends on who is lurking on twitter!

5. What would surprise us to know about your Thanksgivings?

I haven't spent a Thanksgiving with family in 20 years, not by choice but due to logistical issues.

6. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you’re happy to see?

You know, when it's been 20 years since you've spent the holiday with family, you forget about the drama. I have no doubt Thanksgiving with my family would result in drama (don't they all?), but it would be nice to experience a little family drama, because it would mean I am with family.

7. What did your family do for Thanksgiving when you were a kid? Do you still do it?

We were all about the traditions of Thanksgiving when I was a kid. Every year I knew what to expect and every year met my expectations. There are times when I feel extreme guilt for not being able to give Cam that experience.

8. We know you've been asked this probably 15 times this week. But share with us in 2010, what are you most thankful for?

Wow! You know, it's been a rough year on so many levels, primarily emotionally and financially, but I am most thankful for getting a little closer to finding "me". I didn't realize how much I had changed while living with husband, and not in a good way.

This year has reminded me of the things that are really important and enabled me to place my focus back where it should have been long ago.

For that I am thankful.

9. Okay, the big question: are you going to 'attend' any of the "Black Friday" sales? ...and if you are, are you hard core serious like the 5 am "be there" crowd?

I'd love to - just once - but it is not in the cards this year. My year-end bonus will be paid out the week before Christmas, and any shopping will have to wait until then.

~*~*~

5 comments:

Schmoop said...

Take the water chesnuts out of the pea salad and that sounds good. See ya on Twitter on Thursday. Cheers Dana!!

Just Me said...

I agree .. NO green bean casserole, Bleh!!

I am shocked you would like jello mixed in all that. With the whole no food touching thing. The Pea salad sounds good. :)

Knight said...

Unless that Jello is filled with Vodka I can't understand why anyone would find it edible.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My mom always made "7-Up Salad". It was a jello dessert with pecans, cottage cheese, pineapple chunks and lord knows what else. I always hated it, but I make it any time my sister in law comes by. She loves it.

Mike said...

9. Not only no but hell no.


"felt-up by the TSA folks!"

See, this system works for some people. If I could get in the girl TSA agent line I might fly more often.