09 September 2009

The World *Is* a Little Smaller


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I worry ... more than I should some times, and this little snippet of my life has been no exception. I've become quite skilled at, when facing stress, hyper focusing on the stressor, and going through the motions in the rest of my life. It's been two weeks since this all happened and I'm now trying to find a balance.

Cam's phone was returned the following day. Fortunately, with the exception of an unrelated little "issue", it appeared to be clean. Cam may have thought he was playing with the big dogs, but fortunately it seems he was looking for approval more than he was looking to become a career criminal.

I spoke with SGT Jones, albeit briefly, regarding my legal options to keep the 18 year old Things #2 and #3 away from Cam. I learned that there is little that can be done. Unless a minor is abused (sexually or physically) by an adult, the courts will not issue a protective order. My only recourse is to keep a close eye on the situation and attempt to "catch" Things #2 and #3 in some sort of illegal activity. Frustrating to say the least, especially since if I ever find them anywhere near Cam again, it will likely be me that winds up in the middle of illegal activity - assault.

My challenge is to keep an eye on Cam while allowing some bit of freedom. As I mentioned earlier, I downloaded the Chaperone/Child software available through my cell phone carrier. I was able to set child zones - 1/4 mile radius areas where Cam should be (home, school, etc.) as well as areas he shouldn't be (Things #2 and #3's neighborhoods). I receive an alert - via text message and email - any time Cam enters or leaves one of those zones. I can also locate him at any given time via the GPS tracking.

I went through Cam's contacts on his phone. I asked him about each person - dialed each number to verify what he told me - and set password protected controls on his phone that allow him to make and receive calls to and from people on his contact list only. I downloaded the contact manager on his phone so that I can access his contact list from any computer, insuring he has not made changes. I also check his phone and text activity EVERY day and randomly ask him for his phone to view text content as well as to view any pictures he may have sent or received.

I spoke with the principal at the middle school. Heading the PTO may be a serious pain in my ass bring challenges at times, but being active in the middle school has allowed me to develop an excellent relationship with the principal. I gave him the details of what had been going on. The principal has been at the middle school for 17 years - he was quite familiar with Thing #2 and shared some additional insight (it wasn't good).

I checked Cam's schedule to see if he was sharing any classes with Thing #1 (13 year old) - he was not. I had the principal move Cam's locker to the other side of the building, minimizing any potential contact. I told the principal that Cam was NEVER to walk home from school - bus only - and he was to get off only at his stop. The principal has been extremely helpful in all of this.

I'd love to tell you all that this is behind us - that it was nothing more than a little blip in the radar - and maybe some day that will be the case, but it isn't yet. Cam started back to school last week which has been extremely helpful. Between school, football, and church activities, he is busy with "good" stuff. I am approaching this from a different direction than I've traveled in the past. I am not taking away the good stuff, but rather am encouraging the good stuff - filling all of his spare time with good stuff - no matter what the cost (time or money) is to me - as long as he participates fully in the activity. My hope is, that over time, he'll start feeling better about himself and will prefer that positive attention over the negative attention.

Yes, I know ... parenting should have been this way from the start. It wasn't. Once Cam hit middle school I made the assumption that he would do the "right" things, after all, that's what he had been taught. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have - I was too wrapped up in my own wants, needs and dramas. That was a luxury I was taking that I did not deserve. Cam is one of those kids who will always push boundaries - always use his keen sense of logical argument to attempt to justify his actions - both to himself and to me. I must always be alert and aware. It's tiring, but necessary.

I do think Cam and I have a better relationship now. He has seen me make mistakes (big ones) and be publicly accountable for them. Most days, he doesn't like me or the limits I've placed on him. This isn't a popularity contest and I am not bothered by being called "stalker mom," in fact I think it's quite flattering. I continue to remind him that when he shows a history of being responsible within the new limits (months, not days) I will expand them - a bit.

We've been through a lot over the course of the last two weeks. I'll be honest - I am emotionally and physically drained. I know I need to take care of myself but it's just going to have to wait. I'm not exercising, I'm not eating well, and I sleep like I did when Cam was a newborn. I'm not complaining - this is the price for the decisions I made previously - the price to Cam could have been far greater.

Why the picture of Alastor "Mad Eye" Moody (any Harry Potter fans out there)? A year or so ago, a friend of mine who knows both Cam and I quite well, told me that I reminded her of "Mad Eye." At the time, I thought she was nuts, but I now realize just how keen her insight was.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

16 comments:

Vixen said...

I like what you said....you are right. Being a mom is not a popularity contest. And as he earns your trust, you will give him slightly more leeway. Which is an excellent tactic.

My niece is 11, just entered middle school, etc and it's been quite eye opening (and a learning experience), the challenges that my sister has had to deal with.

I'm proud of you Dana. Sounds like you've kept a good head on your shoulder and have gotten things back under control and manageable. :)

Emmy said...

A good friend of mine once said she always felt that vigilance in parenting became increasingly more important the older her son got. While she didn't stay home with him as a young child, she did as a teenager. She found it allowed her to sleep at night being around and knowing everything happening with him and his friends - as they were living in an area where more kids went 'bad' than stayed good.

Taking this approach worked for her son. Hell, it even worked positively on her step-son who had greater issues.

As I've often said to people - parenting is not for the weak of heart nor is it for anyone unable and unwilling to sacrifice their own needs to keep the child on the right path.

I hope things continue to go positively for you both!

Karen said...

It is a process and you are on the right track. I guarantee that in the end this will bring you two closer. Good Luck!

Jormengrund said...

A parent that doesn't care about their kids is the one who makes excuses and doesn't do anything to rectify the situations and problems that their child gets into.

Obviously, you're a parent who cares Dana. Sure, you've made mistakes, but show me a parent that doesn't make mistakes, and I'll show you someone who's REALLY blind to their own faults!

Hang in there.. I'd much rather be remembered as the dad that kept my kids' bacon out of the fire than the "cool" dad any day. That way, my kids can look back and see that yes, I did care. If I hadn't, then some of the choices that they've made could really have impacted them a lot worse than I allowed to happen.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I don't think you were wrong to assume he would always do the right thing...that's how we raise them and by middle school, as parents, that's a milestone to let the apron strings out a bit. So, he made some bad choices and you are working to keep him on the right path. If he wasn't able to make mistakes on his own, he wouldn't learn this particular lesson. Don't blame yourself - he's a preteen who thinks he is invincible (I was that same kid, only in girl form! LOL).

Caron said...

Vigilance can be exhausting, so take care for the long haul. Good for you doing all this; I'm so impressed. It is never too late to begin doing what is right for Cam. Last summer I "joked" that my mom was like an Israeli soldier when I was in high school (I'm 44) and she wasn't sure how to take that at first.

I had friends, plenty of 'em, but I only had one mother and she took her job seriously, thank goodness.

Me said...

It sounds as if you have all things in hand as well as possible at the moment. I hope Cam stays in the limits and all the things stay away.

Jay said...

Hopefully you guys can get Cam moving in the right direction and can keep making progress.

Dana said...

Vixen, under control? Probably not, but at least I don't have my head buried in the sand any longer.

Emmy, I agree with your friend! I did not get involved in the PTO until middle school. My thoughts were always that the potential for problems is far more significant in middle school than it is in elementary school. I was right, but unfortunately didn't see it until it was almost too late.

Karen, I can already see Cam opening up a little more with me. We are spending more time together. I am doing things like taking him to the grocery store with me (yes, he actually *wants* to go) - things that I used to demand I do alone. I think (hope) it will all come together at some point!

Dana said...

Jormengrund, some people have said that I do make excuses for him, and to a certain extent they are right. It wasn't my intent, but it really was my message. I am some times frustrated by what it takes for me to actually *see* what is going on and just how long I wait before doing anything about it.

Evil Twin's Wife, well, I think I should have been more realistic - more cautious - and less selfish. I'm looking forward to the day he hits ... say 25 ... and realizes that I wasn't as stupid as he thought I was.

dsmcaron, vigilance *is* exhausting, but seeing your child slide as far as I watched mine slide was far more disturbing!

Dana said...

Marsha, "as well as possible" ... man that phrase scares the crap out of me, but I guess it's better than oblivion!

Jay, I'm hoping that I caught it early enough that high school won't be completely out of control. Only time will tell!

Unknown said...

I am so very proud of you! In MHO, I think you have done, and are doing, an excellent job as a parent. If there were more parents like you, there wouldn't be Thing's 2 & 3. Parent need to know what their children are doing, with whom, when and where. Teenagers are NOT adults and shouldn't be allowed the same privileges.

Well done Dana!

we're doomed said...

Every child needs some freedom to make choices as they grow older. A parent's problem is how much freedom do you give. It's the old story of how much rope do you give a child. No one wants to give enough for the child to hang themselves. It's a tough call under most situations. Good luck Dana.

Professor Fate said...

As parents, our main responsibility TO our children is keeping our cool. When a parent over-reacts, displays knee-jerk reactions, or simply flies off the handle, this creates an unstable environment for all involved.

aka...CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

I think you handled everything as well as you could.

rage said...

Being a mom is a tough job. You're doing the best you can and that is all that matters.

buffalodick said...

I've said before, about the time you get the hang of it- they're adults..