25 September 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~

Did you see?? Did you see?? Clearly, Bank of America reads my blog because just this week they announced that they modified their Overdraft Fees And y'all thought I was just another egotistical arrogant every day blogger!

~*~

As I was waiting for Cam to get out of his team meeting last weekend, I noticed one of the fathers decided to make his team affiliation permanent. See that logo on his left leg? Ummm ... yeah ... that's a tat ...

He could have at least picked a good team *giggle*


You can make it bigger if you want *CLICK*


~*~


Speaking of football, there was an incident at Cam's practice on Tuesday - a bit of a scuffle and retaliation - it was handled by the coaches and all was well ... or so I thought until I pulled up to drop Cam off at school Wednesday morning and was met by the principal.

There are times when I really wonder if there shouldn't be some kind of test issued to determine if people are fit to have children ... or not ... I might have a difficult time passing such a test. Anyway ...

Tuesday at practice, Cam and another teammate we'll call "Linens" (because it's as close as I can get to his name without using it) went up against each other. This was Cam's first practice since returning from his back injury, and he was fired up. He beat Linens off the line ... and then went overboard with his victory celebration (seems he missed the humble lesson in church the other week).

So ... Linens is embarrassed ... and pissed! Linens decides it would be a good idea to cheap-shot Cam in the back as Cam was walking away. Linens knocked Cam down and in the process knocked the wind out of him.

Coaches witnessed the events. Yelled at both boys telling them that if either one of them acted like that again they'd be done with practice and possibly out of the next game. All is well and good, right? Nahhhh ...

Seems Father Linens called the head coach that night. Claims Cam face-masked, punched and then kicked Young Linens in the ... ummm gonads. Wants coach to suspend Cam for a game. Fortunately, coach had seen the incident and knew that wasn't what happened. Tried to calm Father Linens, who then said, "If you're not going to take care of this I'll find someone who will."

Enter in the phone call Father Linens makes to the school principal. Now understand, there is NO LINK between school and football. Middle school does not have a football team. But Father Linens wants principal to talk to Cam because Cam threatened to "kill" Young Linens. Yes, the story keeps getting bigger and bigger. Principal tells Father Linens that he'll talk to Cam only if Father Linens agrees that principal will talk to Young Linens at the same time. Father agrees.

As I drop Cam off at school, principal meets me at my car. Tells me a parent has asked that he speak with the two boys regarding something that happened at practice the previous night. I ask why he's involved since this isn't a school issue. He tells me Father Linens is concerned the issue might carry over to school. He assures me Cam is not in trouble (he better not be - it had NOTHING to do with the school). Fine. Whatever.

To make a long story short short story long, I have to wonder what motivates a parent like Father Linen. Was he pissed off that the coaches "sided" with Cam? Did he make the phone call to the school trying to get Cam in trouble? Or was he worried that Young Linens might lose his cool at school and do something stupid?

Unfortunately, after talking to the coaches and listening to the town gossip hearing from other parents, it appears there was quite a bit of malice intended. I'd like to believe that was absurd - that it was just a misunderstanding - but my heart knows better.

~*~

One of the benefits of having only one liquor store in town and earning frequent drinker points. OK ... maybe I don't have a frequent drinker card, but I'm in there enough that the owner knows me by name, and makes beer suggestions based on what he knows I like.

Tell me this little contraption wouldn't make even a bottle of Bud Light look good!


This one *CLICKS* bigger too!

*EDIT* I've been using my mad google skills to attempt to find a source for this. What I've learned is that this was a promotional piece given out by Beck's last year (2008) right before Octoberfest. I did find an article that listed a link to purchase the item, but it's no where to be found. I'll talk to my guy at the liquor store and see what he might be able to do for me.


~*~*~*~*~

20 comments:

Tracie said...

I have found that parents cause most of the problems that exist in kids' activities. When I was in school, one dad got banned from all the sporting events because of his horrible behavior.

I may have to buy one of those for Hubs' birthday. He would love it.

Deech said...

OK, so where do I get one of the beer holder things? That is way cool.

As far as the Cam issue is concerned, there are just some parents that will not accept the truth that their kid is an asshole.

See, I try to raise my boys not to be assholes. And they know if they get into this type of trouble that I will find out the truth and it would be worse off for them, than if they had come straight out with the truth to begin with.

Unfortunately, we have one asshole (Linens) leading the other asshole (Linen's Dad) by the nose.

....and the law says we can not just randomly eliminate that DNA.

Karen said...

I think there are parents out there who will defend their children to a fault. It doesn't matter what their kids does, parent will attack and defend until the end. And I think that is good and bad trait to have in a parent.

When I screwed up in life, it was really good to know that my parents would defend me - as long as I was honest with them. The problem is Little Linens was an exaggerator (to put it nicely).

Glad Cam is back on the field and thanks for fixing our banking industry. ;-)

Unknown said...

I agree with the other three. Some parents believe their child does no wrong and therefore can't POSSIBLY have gotten in trouble; it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

I LOVE the contraption! I have got to get me one. What's it called? I have never seen it so I may have to order it on lone!

Happy Friday!

Schmoop said...

While this incident is a bit more serious than what I am saying it conjures up my days of playing Little League baseball.

My mom came to every game...She liked watching me play, but I think her true joy in coming was watching and listening to all of the parents whining about how their kids didn't get to play or got called out by a near sighted ump. She did like to laugh after all.

Oy...There are so many parents out there who are a bunch of hateful crybabies. Cheers Dana!!

tjames said...

Sounds like this kid lied to his dad about what happened. I would get the coach together with both boys and the father.
Not so easy to lie when you have your witness there.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Simple 'my kid would never do anything wrong, so it must have been that other kid..because you know he is big and well...you know'

Which translates to 'I am a total douche-wad and I could not even play sports I am such a loser, so I will ensure my kid never gets put down by any coach and I will make every coach honor me whenever I want'

I am telling you..this guy will be on every booster club come HS and will berate coaches to play his son constantly...

Love the beer holder...

We are on a first name basis at the liquor store Nancy frequents (well she is..they are now getting to know me!)

Dana said...

kyslp, I get that the father was concerned when he heard his son's side of the story, but after you talk to coaches who *saw* what happened, you still act like a fuck-tard? This guy is a gem.

Joker_SATX, I'm going to talk to my beer guy about those. Might have to have a drawing for one or two since it looks like they are difficult to find.

What's funny about this is that Cam told me (without me asking) what happened. Told me how the coaches handled it. All was well. When I heard the coach's side of things, I was quite pleased that they gave the exact same account of things as Cam did. In fact, Cam made himself sound a little worse than the coaches did!

Karen, I agree! You know I am a HUGE advocate for Cam when I feel he's been wronged. In fact, it's bitten me in the ass a few times when Cam's story has been lopsided in his favor. Cam has learned that I will encourage him to advocate for himself, but if that doesn't work, I will step in and advocate for him - as long as he is being truthful in his story.

Dana said...

Bina, When the coaches found out Father Linens had called the school the first words I heard were, "Piece of shit!"

Matt-Man, shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually looking forward to the games this weekend. For some silly reason parents expect Cam's parents to be black, and very few of them realize *I* am his mom. I have a plan to sit in the stands and see what fun things I hear ... and yes ... I'll take picture!

tjames, it does sound like the story was embellished. In all honesty, had Cam told me that story, I'd have been on the phone with the coaches too, but when they assured me that they witnessed the event and saw it much differently, I'd have then gone off on Cam.

Dana said...

Bond, the good news is that this Young Linens is not what I would call a stellar football player. Hopefully he'll just go away quietly when he has to compete with the "big boys"

I am amazed at the number of fathers who clearly live vicariously through their sons football playing. I've seen far more idiots in this sport than I have in any of the others Cam has participated in. And although fathers are definitely the majority, there are a few mothers who give them a run for their money.

OsShirt said...

I must have one of those, but I never drink beer from a bottle. I'm a bit of a snob that way...

buffalodick said...

I long for days when the kids settled what had to be settled amongst themselves..No whining, tattling, parent and teacher interference and all the other bull crap that makes lawyers rich! I was about 10 years old, and an older kid sucker punched me.. I came home and my dad, in a rare moment of concern, asked me what was wrong. I told him what happened. He asked me if I did anything wrong, which I didn't.. He asked if I could "take" the kid in a fair fight- I said yes, but he always would tell people he had a heart murmur.. My Dad told me to get the kid alone and tell him if he ever does that again- you'll give him an ass-kicking, until he has a heart attack! You ran or you fought, but you never tattled..

Evil Twin's Wife said...

This is precisely the reason I hope neither of my kids ever want to be involved in sports or scouting. (I'm a mean mom)LOL.

g-man said...

Congrats on the overdraft fees, now you can take you bottle holder and make your own draft (fees) :)

Some sports parents are just assnecks, and probably trying to live vicariously through their kids, plus they are bad parents if the kid has learned it is okay to lie to his parents.

Jay said...

I've pretty much had enough of parents who think their little snowflake is being so mistreated and shit.

The boys and the coaches took care of it on the field. Cam showed someone up, and got clobbered for it. Just as most anyone would do. Players get into shoving matches and stuff like that all the time. No big deal.

Good lesson for Cam though. People tend to retaliate when you show them up like that.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

WAIT A SECOND....

You are NOT black?

What the heck! I need to get my monitor adjusted I guess!

bwahahahahahhahahahahaahahhaa

have a grand weekend

we're doomed said...

Give Father Linens a wedgie

rage said...

Father Linens needs a drink too and that guy needs a pedicure big time!

Anonymous said...

I thought of you Friday when I was in the drive-thru at my bank. I was trying to deposit a state refund check into my husband's account. The check -- made out to both of us -- couldn't be deposited into our joint account because it is currently frozen due to fraudulent activity investigation I initiated (someone got a hold of my husband's bank card for that account).

The bank would not allow the check to be deposited. The reasons I was given changed throughout the course of our short conversation, but first, she told me she couldn't deposit it into his solo account because it was made out to both of us. Then, she told me that she couldn't deposit the check because our joint account was frozen because it was overdrawn and until the overdraft balance was paid, the account was froze and I couldn't get any cash back.

It didn't matter when I reminded her that *I* was the one who had the account frozen for the fraud investigation AND that I wasn't asking for cash back from this *government* check -- I was simply trying to deposit it. Could she please explain it to me why they couldn't do what I was trying to do?

"That's just our policy, Ma'am," she said.

"I don't understand it, though," I responded.

"Well, I'm sorry, that's our policy," she said.

"Well, your policy sucks," I answered.

"Ma'am, if you don't like you, you are always free to choose another bank," she retorted.

"You can count on it," I said.

"Have a nice day!" she smiled.

"Yeah, bite me," I seethed, as I drove away.

Needless to say, I'm prepared to start "banking" with the Dharma State Bank of Seally Posturpedic.

Vixen said...

*shaking my head* at Father Linens. The motivation to make a matter at Football into a SCHOOL issue is difficult to wrap my head around. Gah....