12 February 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

It's been a while since I did one of these - or any regular blogging for that matter - so I thought I'd get off my duff and give y'all an update ... 'cause I'm a giver like that ...

~*~

School continues to be an issue ... which I expected. Although there was a different tone to the meeting we had last week (having a parent advocate does change how teachers and staff present themselves) the results have been the same.

They agreed to some temporary accommodations (modified writing assignments, PE and band used as privileges for classwork completion) until I had an opportunity to do some research and make an informed decision on Cam's placement. In the past week, they have not modified a single assignment and they are pulling him out of PE and band to do "classwork" that none of his other classmates are required to turn in.

Neither the district nor the advocate has had ANY contact with me since the meeting, although I did contact the advocate yesterday to let her know how the school is "handling" the new accommodations and she promises a call back.

The only good that has come of this has been that Cam has made strides in using class time more effectively and homework - although still a struggle - has become a little more manageable for both of us.

~*~

This was the major project this week. Actually, Cam has been working on this project since early December. Here in Illinois, 8th grade science fair is kind of a right of passage. The kids are not required to participate in the "formal" Illinois Junior Academy of Science (IJAS) Science Fair, but they are expected to put together a science fair project that could compete.

Cam's topic? Paper Airplanes - Effects of design on flight distance. I was not at all familiar with this process - we didn't have a mandatory science fair back in the olden days when I went to school. The biggest challenge in this was trying to keep Cam motivated for 3 months, but yesterday was the culmination of this great event - Cam turned in his Science Fair poster board. It's a good thing too. I think he was as tired of paper airplanes as I was!

~*~

We had a little bit of excitement last night. I got a call from the school at about 2PM. Of course I knew this was the principal calling to tell me Cam was suspended for some impulsive action. Imagine my surprise when I answered the phone and it was the school nurse.

Cam, being Cam, decided scaling a 5-1/2 foot cinder block dividing wall in the locker room made more sense than waiting for his locker room buddies to finish up what they were doing and move out of his way.

In the process, he managed to get his foot caught up in part of the wall and landed hard on his hip, wrist and face.

We spent our Thursday afternoon/evening at an emergency visit to the dentist to repair the teeth (it appears it was just cosmetic damage, but we won't know for a couple of weeks) and then spent a few hours at urgent care for x-rays (he's got a hip pointer and a sprained wrist). He's battered and bruised, but will be fine. I'm actually letting him stay home today to recover from his stupidity injuries.

~*~

Goodness! That turned into Cam update didn't it? That's pretty much where my focus has had to be over the last few weeks.

I am managing to keep up with the Project 365 blog (Dana Does Digital) and here are my two favorite pictures from this week:





Have a great weekend!

~*~*~

9 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

If Cam begins to step up and do the work in class, hopefully the entire school situation will calm down.

Continue to stay on them Dana - sometimes you have to be that PITA parent

Gina said...

Stay on that advocate, or find another one who can be more involved. We school personel are petrified of the a-word.

Schmoop said...

OUCH...Hope he is healing well. Nice pics, Dana. Cheers!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Sorry about his injuries. It just wouldn't be childhood without SOME sort of mishap! :-) Good luck with the school - I agree - stay on them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Jay said...

Trying to pull off moves like that are just part of being a teenage boy. Sometimes they pull it off, sometime they don't. But, either way, they're cool. LOL

Karen said...

An advocate does always help. Sort of like having a lawyer makes people take you seriously in certain situations. Glad Cam is ok.

Maggie said...

My brother logged enough emergency room visits for all three of the siblings combined. It's what they do. :) Hope Cam gets well soon!

Vixen said...

He's a boy....I would imagine boys and ER's go hand in hand. LOL

Hope he feels better soon!

Unknown said...

Hang in there my friend. 13 year old's do the dangest things with their bodies.

As for science fair? I am so jealous. We have two mandatory science experiments and the third is opting in. I've got worms supposed composting rotten fruit in my pantry. We need to time floating at the local pool. Finally, we need to trick the rets of the family into eating onions as part of Li'l Man's experiment.

Did I mention I was a poli sci major? I. Hate. Science. Fair. Experiments.

Yep, I'm a bad mom.

Sigh.

~Scout