19 February 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

There was a comment on my Now Serving #247 post Monday that I wanted to address here as I think it's a pretty common position.

bicyclesandblotts wrote...

"I also raise money every year for the san francisco aids foundation last year i raised $2,500. In your post you mention being a good christian last year at a aids foundation charity bike ride a group of christians bussed in to protest SFAF for supporting homosexuality and handed out leaflets explaining aids was gods punishment so I don't take much stock in " good christians " and charity work. I think you should volunteer to support your community not out of fear of god."
First, my reference to "good Christian folk" in that post was written a bit tongue in cheek. I am well aware that there are many people who call themselves Christians who practice a level of "hate" I've never seen encouraged in the Bible. That hypocrisy is something that had kept me away from God in the past ... until I realized my problem wasn't with God, but with people.

Second, I really don't care why people volunteer/serve their community. I don't think it matters if you are doing it out of a fear of God, due to peer pressure, or because you are trying to "right" a "wrong." The motivation in this case isn't important - the fact that one is making the community a better place is.

~*~

Tuesday evening was spent with the neuropsych who will be evaluating Cam over the next month or so. After sharing extensive background and developmental information with her, she concluded that extensive testing/evaluation is warranted. This wasn't a surprise.

As a side note, I don't remember if I've shared with all of you that the school is recommending Cam be "warehoused" (my word) in the district's Emotional/Behavioral Disorder Program. They have decided that Cam's issues are not related to his disability, but rather are environmental, absolving the teaching staff of any accountability.

Prior to the appointment with the neuropsych, I informed the school that I would not consider any alternate placement for Cam until I was clear on what his needs are (actually, I am quite clear on that but need professional documentation to back that up). The neuropsych validated my position with the school recommending that I, under no circumstances, agree to any alternative placement for Cam until she completes the testing/assessment.

If nothing else, I've bought myself (and Cam) some time. Although I believe an alternate placement might be beneficial to Cam, the one they are suggesting, and coincidentally the only alternate placement available within the district, isn't a good fit for a myriad of reasons.

~*~

On the goodness-gracious-that-was-unexpected-good-news front, I received an email from the middle school youth pastor on Wednesday informing me that someone within the church wanted to insure Cam was able to attend church camp this summer and paid - in full - for his registration fees and canteen money (a $400 gift).

Cam attended church camp last summer but I wasn't sure I was going to be able to swing it this year. I submitted an application for a scholarship (limited to $100) and was considering selling a kidney what I could cut from the budget so that I would be able to save the $300 needed by June 26th.

I was so grateful for this news and only wish that I could thank the giver personally, but understand their desire to remain anonymous.

~*~

This week's Dana Does Digital pics were ... well ... not spectacular, but that won't keep me from a little self-promotion sharing my two "favorite" with you!




~*~*~

14 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Hey...congratulations on the camp gift. What a wonderful thing for someone to do! Kinda restores your faith in people huh?

Real Live Lesbian said...

Apparently ALL Christians aren't bad, eh? ;)

I love the mobilgas one. What year are you living in up there in IL?

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Good job with the school...

What wonderful news from the church...that is incredible Dana...I am so thrilled

Cool pics

Jay said...

My problem isn't wit God either. But, he does seem to have a problem with me. ;-)

Glad Cam gets to go to camp!

snugs said...

a favorite Christian singer of mine, Keith Green, says that going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger...I have a hard time with labels...

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a neat gift to receive! I'm glad you're having Cam evaluated, perhaps you will get more conclusive results that will hold the school accountable.

I love your photography. Love, love, love! Those are both amazing, as usual!

Doc said...

I agree it's great that Cam got his camp taken care of... Man camp has gotten expensive!

we're doomed said...

I thought the pics each had a sight message and were profound.

Gina said...

Question. How far away from St. Louis are you?

I have talked about you so much this week. There's a parent at my school who is about to get blindsided with an alternative placement push by Central Office simply to save money. I approached my principal today and told him that I will, albeit professionally, be fighting the powers that be. I will advocate for this kid, who cannot begin to advocate for himself (he's non-mobile and non-verbal...but bright). Every time I get fired up about this little boy, I think of you.

Congrats on the camp $$$ too.

Dana said...

Rhonda the Real, I've discovered that most people want to help - they just need to know that you need help.

Real Live Lesbian, nope! Just those ones that think AIDS is a punishment from God! You'd thing I was about 5 decade from Chicago instead of 60 minutes, wouldn't you?

Bond, I was beyond thrilled when I learned that someone was thinking of Cam!

Dana said...

Jay, What??? Jesus loves you! *snicker*

snugs, I'm not a big fan of labels either as they are seldom accurate.

Evil Twin's Wife, more importantly, it sounds like I'll get a plan of attack! I got a diagnosis 7 years ago ... and nothing more. I need direction!

Dana said...

Doc, this is a week-long camp in WI and the price includes Coach Bus transportation. Just wait until your little one is ready to go. You'll need to fill out a FAFSA!

we're doomed, profound? Now you're just blowing smoke up my @ss!

Gina, I am almost exactly 5 hours north of St. Louis. Not too far ...

Some days it is all that I can do to be strong enough to fight for just one more day, but I can't imagine what it would be like for Cam if I didn't.

Maggie said...

From what you've described here and in previous posts, your church sounds so loving and giving. I like that.

rage said...

I think it is nice that someone wanted Cam to be able to go to church camp.