24 February 2010

When All Else Fails


~*~*~

*takes a big swig from the coffee cup*

It's one of those days, where motivation and original thought evade me, so instead I'll just answer a few questions from one of those weekly meme blogs that I keep in my reader ... just in case ... or is that Justin Case?? I hate that commercial.

Rambling ...



1. Have you ever fired a gun or shot a bow and arrow?

Ummm ... hello? I am a trained killer, remember? Not only have a fired a gun, I've launched a grenade! Bow & arrow? Does the booth at the Renaissance Fair count? It was actually much more difficult than I anticipated.

2. Do you know where your childhood best friends are?

I have always been a loner and never really "connected deeply" with my peers. Sad as it might sound, I don't even remember many of their names. I have, however, recently connected (via Facebook) with one of those childhood friends and if I can manage to follow the social rules of maintaining friendships, I hope to make the friendship a "keeper" this time!

3. Do you usually arrive early, late, or on time?

My motto? If you're not early, you're late. I despise being late and dealing with people who are chronically late. I consider it an extremely selfish act.

4. Are you more of a New York or California type?

California, without a doubt ... but NORTHERN California. And yes, there is a difference!

5. Do you have a special ring tone?

I do! Amazing Grace by Chris Tomlin

6. What is your favorite type of chip?

Jay's Sour & Dill. Nom ... nom ... nom ...

7. Best comedy you've ever seen is ....

Everyone knows I'm a little "odd" right?? I don't get most comedy. Sure, I'll laugh on occasion, but traditional comedy just seems senseless. That is not the case with The Big Bang Theory. I LOVE that show, probably because I get the characters.

8. Have you ever cut your own hair? To quote Dr. Phil, "How'd that work for ya?"

I often cut my own hair and it works out pretty darn good, thank-you-very-much! In fact, I'm considering investing in a flowbee, so there!

9. If you were going to have an extreme makeover, would you rather it be about your house or your personal self?

My personal self. I've always wondered what it would be like to be dressed appropriately. Fashion is another thing I just don't get.

10. Are you allergic to anything?

Penicillin and all derivatives of penicillin ... which is why I tend to be antibiotic-phobic. I figure I had better not overuse antibiotics considering I don't have access to one of the largest and most effective antibiotic families.

11. Why is it so hard to change?

Because good or bad, we all find a certain amount of comfort in routine and predictability (some of us more than others) and launching ourselves into the realm of the unknown is akin to visiting the dentist for a root canal.

12. One last question dedicated to February love: CS Lewis said, "To love is to be vulnerable." Please share one example of that assertion or share any thought you'd like to about this topic.

UGH! The "V" word ...

The problem with vulnerability is that there are folks out there who see it as a weakness and will use it against you (I have a few readers like that). The flip side is that without vulnerability it's impossible to experience a full range of emotions, including love.

I am convinced that somewhere there is a balance and some day (like on my deathbed) I will find it!

~*~*~

15 comments:

Schmoop said...

I hear ya on one thing specifically...While I may be laid back, sometimes chaotic, I hate it when people are late.

I too, if I say I'm going to be somewhere, am always at the very least, on time and as you said, typically I am early. Oy, late drives me nuts. Cheers Dana!!

Anonymous said...

Me, too, on the late thing. My sister and mother are chronic late-comers and it pisses me off to the max. I also like those chips. Delicious!

The Burl said...

Couldn't agree more on the late thing. My band director in H.S. had a motto that was INGRAINED in our heads: "Early is on time. On time is late. Late is dead."

Thanks to FB, I've actually reconnected with several of my old childhood friends. And I've chosen to not reconnect with some as well.

What's wrong with SoCal? *sniff*

And we love "Big Bang Theory" as well. Very cleverly written.

Shiny Rod said...

A lot like me, we moved around alot when my dad was in the Air Force. I never developed close friends so I can only remember a few and barely any names. Unfortunately, this has carried on to my adult life and I am paying the price for being reclusive and somewhat socially stunted.

katherine. said...

I HATE to be late.

there is a HUGE difference between northern and southern California. They are like two different countries.

I can't get enough Big Bang Theory. I'm ticked it isn't online, on demand or on iTunes.

As much as I love CS Lewis...I respectfully decline to comment on vulnerability.

Karen said...

I am always early too.

Vulnerability is the hardest thing for me. I am glad I post these answers on Saturday because I can write a full dissertation on my problems with being vulnerable.

Little T said...

I do not understand why people read someone's blog if they dislike them or what they have to say that much. Go away haters!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, and why is it that in a couple, there is usually one person who can't stand to be late and one who is always late??

3 Men and a Lady, my mom was ALWAYS late and the husband was ALWAYS late. I think my only criteria for any relationship in the future will be that they must be early - ALWAYS!

The Burl, sounds like the Army's motto!

Dana said...

Shiny Rod, I wish I could blame mine on moving around, but I went to school with the same kids from kindergarten to high school. I'm just a bit of a social misfit.

katherine, I cannot tell you how many times I've sat in my car and waited for 15-30 minutes just so I'd only be 10 minutes early :)

Karen, vulnerability - if anything - is the proverbial double-edged sword! I look forward to your closing arguments on the topic!

Jay said...

I love the Big Bang Theory. The show is hilarious and I like everyone on it.

Can't stand being late either. To me, 10 minutes early is on time.

Dreaming again said...

Northern Californian and Southern Californian aren't even close cousins ...add to the mix Central Californians who are yet another species!

Late ...eeeks! I can't stand to be late, sends my anxiety through the roof, don't understand how people do that as a SOP.

Love the song Amazing Grace by Chris Tomlin

I cut my bangs, but am not brave enough to try more.

Gina said...

Oh my goodness, I can see why God gave you your son. I bet you really "get" him. I love it.

Maggie said...

Your rambling makes me giggle. I love these questions, I might have to steal.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My stints with cutting my own hair have involved margaritas and bad results, so I stopped doing that a long time ago! :-)

rage said...

I think being late is also rude as well.