17 November 2010

Addictions

~*~*~

The therapeutic day school setting is a foreign (to me) mixture of staff. There are actually more therapists, counselors and other support people than there are teachers. As a parent, it is not unusual to be contacted by a therapist, program assistant, diagnostic coordinator or, as I was recently, an addictions counselor.

I received an email from Ms. K (addictions counselor) that said, in part:

"I have been meeting with Cam to assess his level of substance use and to discuss triggers and potentials to his use. During our conversations Cam has a tendency to provide inconsistent information pertaining to his use so I'm hoping you could shed some light on what you see, if any, of Cam using cannabis, alcohol or any other substance."

Let me tell you, this is not an email any parent of a teen wants to get, especially a parent (me) who knows there has been some history of drug use in the past, that there is a strong family history of substance abuse and, that with Cam's refusal of prescribed meds, it is highly likely that he will self medicate.

I spent some time composing my reply to the addictions counselor. I have never been one of those "not my kid" parents. The last thing I wanted to do was come across as being defensive.

I decided the truth *gasp* was my best option. I felt it was important for the staff at the school to know why it is that it would be difficult for Cam to pull one over on me, even though telling the truth would likely make me look like a less than desirable parent. I started with:

"I am all too familiar with drug/alcohol use/abuse. I grew up in an alcoholic family, started binge drinking and smoking at age 12, have a history of drug experimentation (mushrooms, LSD, cocaine, prescription pain killers, etc.) and struggled with a crystal meth addiction in my early and mid 20's. I am no stranger to drugs and alcohol. I know the signs/symptoms of use/abuse and am quite familiar with drug paraphernalia and 'lingo'."


I spent the next few paragraphs summarizing the disaster that was the summer of 2009 (if you want the details, you can read the 6-part "The World Gets a Little Smaller" post that starts HERE).

I absolutely hate reliving that time. It ranks right up there in my most difficult parenting moments, but again, honesty seemed like the thing most likely to help Cam.

I also shared with the school that I am concerned about a new preoccupation Cam seems to have a preoccupation with Synthetic Cannibinoids.

Have you heard about this stuff? it is an "herbal-incense blend" with cute names like Peace Out and Serenity Now. It's quite easy to find in smoke shops and online where it is sold as incense. It contains JWH-018, a synthetic cannabinoid receptor, and is used to "legally" achieve a marijuana-like high.

There is nothing better *dripping sarcasm* than having your 14-year old son tell you, "I can smoke Peace Out right in front of a cop and there is nothing he can do!" ... and know he is right.

It's times like these that I would gladly revisit the sleepless, colicky nights and diaper blowouts. The sleep deprivation - and shit - that parents face with teens has far greater repercussions.


~*~*~

17 comments:

Schmoop said...

That's just great and yeah I know all about this stuff, but I thought you had to be 18 to buy it. Find out where he got it and bust the store for selling it to minors. Good luck and Cheers Dana!!

Doc said...

Good grief... Kids will do anything to get high.

Deech said...

I guess where I get confused is how kids these days flunk Chemistry with the exception of finding the intoxicants? Where the hell did Cam learn about "Peace Out" and "Serenity Now"?

I just learned it from you on this blog post. Until now, I did not know that such a thing existed.

It amazes and mortifies me how people find out about this shit!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, how do you know about this stuff?? Huh?? My guess is you *do* have to be 18 to purchase it, and that it likely came from an older brother/sister of one of Cam's friends. Seems his friends these days are all the youngest in their families.

Doc, some things never change. I did much the same things (maybe) when I was his age.

Joker_SATX, ahhhh ... the information highway is a wealth of information ... and not all of it good.

Karen said...

Is Cam aware of your past problems with drugs and Alan's story?

The reason I ask is that my uncle - Mom's brother - was a wild party guy who used everything under the sun. He and his friends were so much fun and I idolized him. When I was in high school, he passed from an OD. I haven't touched an illegal drug because of that. It had such an impact on my life and has shaped a lot of my opinions on drugs and people who use recreationally.

Maybe if Cam knew honestly how drugs impacted you and Alan it would be powerful enough to make him think differently. (I recall that Alan was using with you, if not than I totally apologize for bringing that up)

Mike said...

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWH-018) -

While remaining legal under federal law, JWH-018 is banned in 15 states as of 10/16/2010. Oklahoma and Illinois have also passed legislation banning JWH-018, and there it will become illegal on 11/1/2010 and 1/1/2011 respectively: (list of states)

Bette said...

I know it was reported here in Ky. that smoking this stuff could be lethal. It was never meant to be smoked, but is an incense.

we're doomed said...

You have my best wishes on this issue. I think you are going about in the right way.

Jay said...

Amazing how the War on Drugs™ and the banning of weed has given rise to things like Synthetic Cannibinoids and other substances that are more addictive and more dangerous than the substance that was banned.

I realize that the above statement has absolutely nothing to do with your blog post. ;-)

Another Suburban Mom said...

I had never heard of the synthetic stuff either. I am sure that the counselor will work with you to help you help Cam.


However, I have no wise advice for you.

snugs said...

I waited until the end of the day hoping that someone would comment conveying my feelings about this post/topic because I know I can not say anything to you and truly be heard or taken to heart. Anything I say will be dismissed, any opinion that I have will just be ridiculed. So I will just leave it at WTF. Take it however you want.

Dana said...

Karen, Cam is aware of my past "experimentation" with drugs and with Alan's suicide. I've not gotten into the connection between the two, but your point is well taken - it might be time.

Mike, Now that is some GOOD news!

Bette, That was my point with Cam. It's NOT illegal but it is dangerous!

Dana said...

we're doomed, Some times the best way to handle the ugliness in life is head on!

Jay, I've often thought there would be far less problems with - specifically pot - if it were regulated and sold much like alcohol. At least then people would know what they are getting.

Another Suburban Mom, It has been a blessing to have the support that we now have in Cam's school.

Dana said...

snugs, It's just that your comments are always so well thought out, so supportive, so insightful, that I cannot comprehend the depth of your caring. This comment is no exception ...

Raquel's World said...

I just recently heard on our local news that there is such an item called k2 spice which is simialr to weed in price and effects. It is legal. I wonder if this is the same thing you are talking about? The k2 spice is designed to be smoked but is undetectable as a drug in the system?? Ima have to look around a bit. If I find anything worthwhile I will come back here and share it.

Raquel's World said...

"She thought it was pot, but it was K2," Huffman says. "She was still having effects a week later. And a toxicologist at St. Louis University came by a week ago and said there are all kinds of reports of people having heart rates like 150 and blood pressure shooting up to 200 over 100. That is dangerous." FROM WEB MD


http://k2spicegold.com/

A website where it is sold and suprisingly enough they advertise that this was shown on FoxNews. Lol

Knight said...

Even if they know it's bad for you kids are still going to do it. I think it's fantastic that you got Cam into that school so you and a trained counselor can keep in contact with each other and stay involved with him. The fact that the counselor went out of the way to contact you gives this whole post hope. The kid is going to get into trouble because that's what the cool kids do. We just have to hope he isn't dangerous about it.