24 May 2018

10 Things Thursday



  1. My social skills aren't always very social (understatement) and one of the situations I really struggle with is offering condolences, so when lifehacker published How to Offer Condolences Without Sounding Like an Ass I figured it was certainly worth a read. Funny thing? Apparently I've been doing it right and the majority of people aren't. Go figure!
  2. I found another LEGO Set that I need *cough*want*cough* and with 1,685 pieces it should keep me out of trouble for a while
  3. While reading The decline of Snapchat and the secret joy of internet ghost towns I couldn't help but think how it applied to this space. This passage sums up why I started blogging and why I'm back at it:
    "When LiveJournal was the primary way I existed on the internet, what occupied my time was not my friends’ accounts of their days or their vague, passive-aggressive posts about the drama of which I was already aware. Rather, it was falling into a rabbit hole of total strangers’ personal confessions and vague dramas just as small and unimportant as those unfolding within my own friend group. But these were infinitely more interesting because they were happening to someone I had never met, who didn’t know I existed."
  4. Speaking of blogging, I sure do miss (most of) the community that was such a big part of my life from 2007-2011. Every once in a while I look at old posts that sometimes had 50+ comments and click on the blogger links. Seldom do I find a blogger who has actually posted within the last 8 years.
  5. Have you ever wondered which alcohol you should mix with your Wendy's Frosty? *SPOILER ALERT* According to this article, Canadian Club whisky is not on the "to do" list!
  6. Ummm ... this avocado toast/spread trend just won't go away. My local market has a coupon for this new product. 
    (GoAvo Spread)
  7. I was happy to learn that the wedding gift rule that requires the price of the gift you give to “cover the cost of your plate” can now be ignored according to Lizzie Post, the great-great-granddaughter of etiquette guru Emily Post.
  8. The above information does not imply that I've attended or been invited to a wedding any time recently. The couple whose wedding I last attended just celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary.
  9. Although I've never used their service, I am familiar with Megabus, but apparently there is a new low price bus fare player - Flixbus. Back in the day, traveling by bus was seen as a last resort, but bus travel has definitely changed. I can travel (round trip) from Las Vegas to San Diego for $31.98 and that includes Wi-Fi, one carry-on, one checked bag, and power outlets. Sure, it's a 7-hour trip, but it is a far more attractive option to me that air travel.
  10. *SIDE NOTE* I need to plan a vacation. I had one planned - visiting a friend in Texas - but that kind of imploded on me *shrugs* Time to formulate a plan B.

4 comments:

Mike said...

4. Do you miss Doggy Bloggy?

Dana said...

Mike, there are two commentors that I do not miss - Doggy Bloggy and snugs. I won't ever hear from Doggy Bloggy again (he died in 2016 - I wrote about it HERE ), but I wouldn't be surprised if snugs turned up again. She seems hell-bent on "putting me in my place" ... or at least what she thinks my place *should* be.

Anonymous said...

There was no shortage of commenters back in the day more than willing to "correct" bloggers of their errors in life. Now it seems the snarky comments are often found in the comment sections of news sites. Personally I miss the golden age of blogging and the community of bloggers. I made so great friends there.






Dana said...

Anon, I would agree - the snarky (down right NASTY) comments now live on news stories, facebook groups, and twitter. There was a lesson for me - to not take those types of comments personally - but it wasn't always easy.