19 September 2012

Out Of The Frying Pan

Photo Credit
When I resigned from my previous volunteer position, I knew that I'd be seeking a leadership position within the High School Band Boosters organization. Although I was interested in a front-facing position, I figured I'd wind up with the treasurer position because of my skill set.

It turned out the "incumbent" treasurer wanted to keep her position.

That left openings for Secretary (UGH!), Vice-President (a title with little responsibility), and President.

I WANTED TO BE THE PRESIDENT!!!

Being President would be a stretch for me - an opportunity to learn some new skills that would (hopefully) increase my effectiveness in group settings, something I struggled with in my last volunteer position.

As it turned out, there were three of us interested in the President position. 

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate to lose?

That I tend to be a little bit competitive?

Fortunately for my competitors, the booster organization decided CO-Presidents would be ideal, and one of the other interested parents decided she would be better suited for the Vice-President position.

WHEW!

Crisis averted!

We are ALL winners and we ALL got a trophy!!


Photo Credit
In the two weeks since taking on this opportunity, I've been to an executive board meeting, I've designed a program template for the concerts, I've set up a music booster facebook page and email account, and I've addressed numerous issues in person (cornered at a football game) and via email.

Tonight I'll be attending an orchestra concert.

And you know what??

I am thoroughly enjoying it!

I am passionate about arts programs in our public schools.

I am excited about expanding my comfort zone.

I am seeing real change and results in person.

Now all I need is my tiara ... seriously ... the Vice-President works in the corporate offices of claire's and she has promised me a tiara before year end.

After all, I am a fragile flower of femininity ...

5 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I love to read how much you are enjoying your new position. That is awesome!

Your tiara better be extra sparkly.

Mike said...

'..addressed numerous issues..'

The issues will never go away.

Dana said...

From Tracie, it's a lot of work, but the results are so clear it makes it all worth it! I'll take pictures of my tiara :)

thepsychobabble, me too!!!

Mike, of course there will be, but at least I know that the group I'm working with is functioning as a team to get the issues resolved. I cannot ask for more than that.

Knight said...

This is excellent. I'm really happy for you and for the lucky Band that has you working so hard for them. Mostly I can't wait for the soft-core tiara photos

CathiC said...

Hooray! Love to see that the leap of faith is paying off. It's SO hard to get out of the comfort zone - I'm glad you did and that you're enjoying it so much, Madame Co-President!