06 September 2012

6 Things I've Learned About Volunteering

~*~

For the past year, I've been volunteering with Band Back Together - a group weblog dedicated to helping remove the stigmas associated with mental illness and other "dark" topics by offering a safe, moderated, supportive environment to share stories and provide educational resources.

Although I have volunteered for many other projects throughout my life, I have never volunteered for a long-term project that required a daily time commitment.


To say it was exhausting would be an understatement.


I didn't realize just how exhausting until I "resigned" this past weekend.


Similarly, I had no idea how much of my time was spent working on this project 
(anywhere from 2-5 hours/day), and how much I would appreciate getting that time back.

I've also learned a few very valuable lessons about volunteering.

~*~

1.  Always consider the common denominator in any volunteer pool

If an organization targets females, 18-35, who are looking to remove the stigmas associated with mental illness and other "dark" topics, chances are, those who volunteer will be females, 18-35, who identify with the stigmas associated with mental illness and other "dark" topics ... because they are in the throes of have experience with mental illness and other "dark" topics.
I'm not implying this is a terrible thing, but it certainly makes working as a healthy, functional group a little more challenging.
2.  If you want validation, choose a front-facing volunteer opportunity
If there is one thing I know, it's that I don't play well with others. Those social etiquette things? Yeah ... not going to be bothered with that nonsense.
So I chose behind-the-scenes positions (board member, editor, tumblr team lead, and imaging team lead) that would require I work with only a small group of people rather than having to interact with bunches of people.
The problem? There was little validation for the work I did, and what validation there was, was at the group level (generic) rather than at the individual or public level. Credit for good work most often went to those volunteering in a front-facing capacity even when they weren't the ones doing the work.
3.  10% of the people in an all volunteer organization will do 90% of the work
Due to lifestyles, personal time constraints, other responsibilities, etc., most volunteers will not be able to offer a 2-5 hour/day commitment for a long period of time. This means that many tasks will fall to a small core of volunteers who are in it for the long haul. Yes, all volunteers are important and every little bit helps, but if you are in that 10%, burnout is a probability.
4.  Even when you think you've chosen an opportunity that doesn't require interaction with people, you will still have to interact with people
This was an online project. Most of the communication and interaction was via text, chat and email (with a few google hangouts thrown in for good measure). Procedures and group email lists were put together to aid with communication, but the loss of tone, the anonymity of sitting behind a computer screen, and the generally superficial (most had never met in person) relationships of the volunteers often resulted in faux drama.
As much as I find face-to-face encounters stressful, I prefer them over communications that are exclusively online. 
5.  Consider how your position within an organization might impact you outside of that organization
I didn't consider how having a presence on a more public, high-profile space on the internet might impact my space on the internet. I felt there was a standard I had to meet - certain things I shouldn't talk about - and I began self-censoring. I felt that anything I did online could be tracked back to the organization and might impact its success
I now realize that I am not even close to being that important, but it was a self-imposed burden that weighed heavily on me at times.
6.  Volunteering for a specific task, doesn't guarantee knowledge of, and success in, that task
There are many people who overestimate their skill set, and some who just want the "glamour" of a specific volunteer title within an organization. These people are not only frustrating, they are detrimental to the efficacy of the organization. Strong leadership to address these deficiencies is critical.  
~*~

My next volunteer project will be as a high school band parent. 

The first meeting is tonight. 

I'm hoping to take what I've learned over the past year and make this next opportunity more enjoyable and personally successful.

Got any tips for me?


~*~ 

17 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

Holy Cow Dana, I feel your pain. I work with a guy on a couple of online projects and he is exhausting to deal with. Just be the best band parent you can be. Cheers!!

Matt-Man

Dana said...

Matt-Man, wait a minute ... are you saying that working with Jay is like working with a 19-year old girl who is bi-polar? Interesting ...

Mike said...

2 to 5 hours a day is a job. And it should be for people that don't have a real job.

Dana said...

Mike, in all fairness, there was nothing that forced me to put in that kind of time, other than my own sense of personal accountability and the expectations that I perceived others had of what should be getting done daily. I had the ability to drop the ball on this project. My misplaced loyalty kept me from doing so.

Osbasso said...

Get out, before you make the biggest mistake of your life!!!! ;-)

Dana said...

Osbasso, No way! We had TWO band camp parent meetings this summer and you know what?? WINE and BEER were involved in both! This band parent thing is far more fun than the band geek thing ... and this time my drinking will be legal!!

OsShirt said...

Watch out! That's how they suck you in!!!

LucidLotus said...

You talk about wanting to hear honest opinions rather than have smoke blown up your ass. My opinion after reading several of your posts is that you like to hide your bullying, aggressive behavior under the guise of honesty and you seem to feel that being combative means that you are keeping it real.

I know that you have been through some rough stuff just like every other volunteer at Band Back Together including myself. I know that you must want to help the people that share their stories there or you would not have spent as much time and energy as you did.

So I find it difficult to understand why you would write so disparagingly about a website that you clearly felt was important enough to dedicate an entire year to and whose mission is to provide a safe place for survivors to share and receive support. Do you think that someone that has been through trauma and/or abuse would feel safe knowing that their words were in the hands of someone who is willing to crap all over that safe haven?

I don’t claim to know you or your motivations. My point is that what we say matters. Whether it’s on a little blog that nobody reads, a forum designed for gossip or live and in person. It all matters.

Dana said...

OsShirt, consider me sucked!

LucidLotus, if I had strength and power and was attempting to harm or intimidate someone weaker, you could call me a bully. But? I don't ... and I'm not. Just because someone has a different experience than you do, and makes that experience public, does not make them a bully.

My experience with BB2G was clearly different than yours. I'm glad you were able to find a place where you fit in and felt safe and supported. It was not that place for me.

*shrugs*

thepsychobabble said...

I don't have any additional tips. I thought your list had some important- and completely VALID- points on it.
They'd apply, in my opinion, to just about any volunteer position.
So definitely keep them in mind when doing the band parent thing! :)

Your experience is YOUR experience, whether someone likes it or not.

And I think that trying to shame you into silence about your experience and/or feelings surrounding an experience would come closer to "bullying" than you sharing that experience in the first place.

Dana said...

thepsychobabble, I thought they were relevent to any volunteer opportunity as well, and since I was elected co-president of the high school music parents' group last night (with a minimum 2-year commitment), I expect they will help me navigate this opportunity more successfully.

Seeking Elevation said...

As a former volunteer, I'll throw in my two cents. Yes, your points are valid. Yes, they are applicable, probably, to other volunteer experiences. Yes, you have a right to say whatever you want to say on your blog. The problem, I think, comes in when you attach the name of the organization to your list of grievances. Again, it's your right to do so, but some might question why. BB2G serves, by definition, a vulnerable population. I'm of the opinion that when you sign on to work with this population, when you specifically solicit their stories by promising that you'll archive those stories in a safe spot, you maintain an obligation to keeping that spot as safe as possible for them. Even after you've left the organization.

I'm of the opinion that if you have issues with management, you should take them up with management. Don't leave a public breadcrumb trail where one of the thousands of survivors who trusted the organization might stumble upon it and be hurt by it.

I'm glad to see people thinking for themselves and deciding that they won't tolerate working conditions that don't fulfill them. That speaks to me. I think we just have to be careful how we treat the repository of all of those stories. There's a person behind each one, and I'd hate to think they'd one day regret telling their story. When I think of all the times we solicited the community, asking for their stories, it shames me to think we wouldn't then take the utmost care when dealing with them. I just hope that all of those individual survivors don't get forgotten in all of this.

Dana said...

Seeking Elevation, I'm trying to figure out where to start with a response to this.

The problem, I think, comes in when you attach the name of the organization to your list of grievances.

Double edge sword - if I don't mention BB2G, everyone knows who I'm talking about anyway and since I don't mention it specifically, I'm being passive-aggressive. If I do mention BB2G specifically, I'm exposing a "vulnerable population". I chose to be transparent rather than passive-aggressive.

when you specifically solicit their stories by promising that you'll archive those stories in a safe spot, you maintain an obligation to keeping that spot as safe as possible for them.

That has not been compromied, nor will it be, not by me anyway.

I'm of the opinion that if you have issues with management, you should take them up with management.

You are making an assumption that I did not do that. I did. MANY times. If "management" claims otherwise, "management" is not being truthful.

When I think of all the times we solicited the community, asking for their stories, it shames me to think we wouldn't then take the utmost care when dealing with them. I just hope that all of those individual survivors don't get forgotten in all of this.

I still strongly believe in the mission of BB2G and support all of those who feel a conection to that community. I volunteered because I believed in the mission, not because I needed the community, but ultimately that was not enough. I would still encouraage anyone who feels that type of community would help them heal to explore what BB2G has to offer.

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd have read this before I devoted my summer to volunteering. You're so right, 10% do the work. I love the hell out of those 10%, but I couldn't stay any longer. Thanks for speaking up and making me feel better about my decision.

Dana said...

Awwww Mel! I'll be honest, I knew about 3 months into the my commitment that there were SERIOUS issues, but I thought reason and logic would prevail.

I was wrong.

I hope you are able to find some value in the time you spent with BB2G, even if it wasn't what you thought it would be!

Anonymous said...

I did get to know and love a couple of awesome peeps so it wasn't a total waste. But I do feel kinda used and sort of wish it could have been more helpful :-) live and learn right?!

Chibi said...

I'm so far behind, I'm ahead of myself. I don't even know what to say at this point except that I'm proud of you for speaking your mind. <3