10 September 2012

SSOC (Monday Edition): I Am Not Everyone's Cup Of Tea


I'm a little late with Sunday's 5 minute Stream of Consciousness post, but I'm guessing there won't be any significant penalty ... or at least I hope not!

Jana's prompt this week? I am … {fill in the blank}

Do you want to play? The guidelines are at the bottom of this post.

~*~


I am NOT everyone's cup of tea.

Nor should I be, but that doesn't keep me from feeling a little disappointed when it becomes clear that I'm not.

I think, at some level, we all want to be appreciated for who we are. We want people to take the time to understand us and celebrate who we are.

We don't want to think we are unlikable.

Yet it's beyond unreasonable to think that everyone will like us all of the time.

I don't have the "I don't care if you like me" mentality. There are times when I wish I did. I do have the strength of character to stand firm in my opinions and convictions without allowing those who feel differently silence my thoughts.

I also am far more open minded than many choose to believe.

My opinions are sometimes wrong, and I am open to hearing and considering the other side(s). In fact, I often play Devil's Advocate to attempt to change my own mind.

I am Not everyone's cup of tea.

And what a boring, Lipton world it would be if I were.



*Photo shamelessly stolen from Another Suburban Mom*

~*~


Want to try Sunday Stream Of Consciousness? Here are the rules guidelines …
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post (in the sidebar).
  • Link up your post on Jana's blog.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

9 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

You're not? Really? I for one am shocked. Cheers Dana!!

Matt-Man

Mike said...

You can start being my cup of tea by going to the store and getting me a loaf of bread. I'll be waiting.

Dana said...

I'm With Stupid (Matt-Man), I know! Can you believe it? I'm so easy to get along with, such a social butterly, so humble! What's not to love???

Mike, Pfffttttt! You'll be waiting a very long time ...

I'm With Stupid said...

You're unique. Just like everybody else. ;-)

Jay

Unknown said...

You're spot on. We all just want to be liked....and the e-card at the end was the perfect wrap up!

visiting from Jana's SOC Sunday

Dana said...

Jay, there is nothing like that moment when you realize you really aren't special, nor is anyone else.

Erin, thanks for stopping by, and for the tweet!

jana said...

You know I love this. Everybody can't be alike, otherwise it would be SO boring!

Unknown said...

Wandered over from SOCS...

I can totally relate - in the extreme. I was raised by a passive-aggressive woman who desperately needed everyone to like her. Part of me picked up on that - to such a degree that I spent a marriage-and-a-half trying to mold myself to ~ what I thought ~ someone else wanted me to be. Just so they'd like me.

Now I'm with a man who doesn't let me get away with that - in fact, he makes it impossible to not, simply be ME. And, oddly enough, I find more people are happy to see me coming ~ probably because it's finally, really me.

(And, wow, I do go on.)

Tracie Nall said...

I would like to be some people's cup of Earl Grey tea, but I know that doesn't work for everyone.

You are right, we do all want to be appreciate for who we are (at least, I know I do).