19 March 2012

When Gated Communities Are The Bad Part Of Town

~*~

By now, you've probably heard the story of Trayvon Martin - a 17-year old A/B student, visiting relatives in a gated community in Sanford, Florida, walking down the street with a hoodie on (it was raining) and armed with the ever threatening can of Arizona Iced Tea and a bag of Skittles.

He was gunned down by 28-year old criminal justice student George Zimmerman, the self-appointed head of the neighborhood watch at the Retreat of Twin Lakes, and the proud owner of a 9mm handgun and a concealed carry permit.

Was George Zimmerman's murder of Trayvon Martin (no, Zimmerman has not been charged, but I fail to see how a 250 lb. man with a 9mm handgun can claim "self defense" against a 140 lb. 17-year old armed with Skittles and an Arizona Ice Tea) racially motivated? I don't know, but I do know:

1) Zimmerman, a citizen, had no legal authority to follow, stop or detain anyone for being "suspicious"

2) Zimmerman, while in a vehicle, followed a teenage boy who was doing nothing more than walking on the side of the street wearing a hoodie

3) When Zimmerman called 9-1-1 to report the "suspicious" teenage boy, police dispatch told him to stop following Trayvon Martin

4) Zimmerman, willfully and intentionally, got out of the safety of his vehicle, bringing his 9mm handgun with him

5) Trayvon Martin was unarmed

6) Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin

As the parent of a black son, I know that Cam sometimes carries the burden of other people’s suspicions.  Some of you might take offense to me referring to Cam as black, but you'll have to trust me here, when people look at Cam they don't say, "Look at that half black, half white kid." Their perception is that Cam is black, therefor Cam is black.

I've had parents of Cam's friends say things like, "You know Cam, if you are standing on a street corner people automatically think you are selling drugs," and, "If you dressed more "white" people would treat you differently." I guess that means the responsibility to avoid racial stereotypes lies squarely on Cam's shoulders? That Cam should never stand on street corners and should only wear khaki cargo shorts and pastel polo shirts?

At 15, and just months after getting his driver's permit, Cam was pulled over in our predominately white community. A local police officer followed us (Cam was driving, I was the passenger) from the strip mall in town to our apartment (about 2 miles). When Cam pulled into a parking space in our lot, the police officer blocked him in. When we got out of the car, the officer demanded to see Cam's permit, but gave no reason nor justification for doing so.

My guess? It was that DWB (Driving While Black) thing we white folks hear about but tend to brush aside as those black folks having a chip on their shoulder. Similar to their demands for a Black History Month, it's just something made up - something they need to get over.

I believe it is likely that race (or, at the very least, prejudice) was a factor in Cam's being pulled over for a "permit check". I believe it is likely that race (or, at the very least, prejudice) was a factor in the murder of Trayvon Martin.

This is the reality I send my (black) son into each and every day ... and it scares the shit out of me.

~*~

9 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

There is really no doubt in my mind that this guy was racially motivated. And, the police simply are refusing to investigate at all. He told them it was self defense, they accepted that on the spot and sent him home. It's ridiculous.

And for the people out there defending Zimmerman, do you really accept that it's okay for a guy who isn't a trained police officer to patrol a neighborhood, confront people and gun them down with no repercussions? Really? You're okay with that? Fuck you if you are.

Jay

Susan said...

George Zimmerman is a murderer. Sanford Florida must have a screwed up police department/district attorney because he wasn't arrested and charged on the scene. I listened to the 911 recordings this afternoon. I want to know who was yelling "help help help".

I don't think its Cam's responsibility to avoid racial stereotypes. However, it is Cam's responsibility to decide how he wants to be perceived by others - even the people who do have racial stereotypes. If he cares that people say he looks like a drug dealer and doesn't like it, he has two choices. One, try to educate people. Two, conform to other people's standards and wear the polo and khakis.

Mike said...

It's just unbelievable that Zimmerman isn't being held on murder charges.

Gina said...

This makes me sick. Literally, sick to my stomach. I thought this was 2012, not 1952. Sigh.

Christo Gonzales said...

it goes against my grain to agree with you but in this case I agree 100%

John Teal said...

I am so glad I live in a country that does not have the right to carry firearms. Racism is never right and when it leads to such tragic consequences it is terrible

RJRdaydreamer

Dana said...

Jay (I'm With Stupid), if anyone thinks - for a moment - that racial profiling is not still running rampant in this country, watch what happens when my son walks into a high-end department store.

And fortunately? I've not seen anyone defending Zimmerman ... or I might have to kill them.

Susan, well, we agree on one thing, Zimmerman is a murderer.

As far as it being Cam's responsibility to decide how he wants to be perceived by others? If the reaction to him wearing his "hood" gear was the same as the reaction to one of his white friends wearing the same "hood" gear, I'd be more comfortable with Cam owning some of the responsibility ... but it's not.

Mike, Agreed!

Dana said...

Gina, I think in ways it is worse now than in 1952. At least then you saw blatant racism. Now? People know they need to hide it, but they still practice it every time they think no one is looking. Better to know who your "enemies" are.

christo (AKA doggybloggy), *marks this day on my calendar* :D

John Teal, although I tend to be a gun rights kind of person, even I have to think twice about that stance when something like this happens.

Wilsyn said...

Well said.. and I couldn't agree more. I think it's dangerous for white people to presume anything about how another racial group feels. (It's different if you've done your research and have, honest, data to back up your claims)

My wife and I had a similar discussion about VWB (Voting While Black) and how it relates to the Voter ID laws that keep popping up. The reason white people dont' care? We have easy access to records or a DMV that has normal/regular hours.

I don't want to say I want to live in a colorless world.. the connotations of that are pretty wrong.. but I'd love to live in a world where our prejudices are based on things like choosing Walmart over Target.. or liking bubble gum pop music. not something arbitrary like to whom you were born.