28 March 2008

Why HNT?

I've been doing a little thinking the past few days about HNT and why I do it, and I thought I'd bare a little more than my body and share a long, boring story little insight with all of you!

Yesterday, as I was making my HNT rounds, I came across several bloggers who were making public announcements regarding the fact that they were no longer participating in HNT. Their stories were varied - some felt whatever they were getting from HNT was no longer there for them, some were concerned about being "discovered" - my guess is that the reasons for not participating in HNT are just as numbered as the reasons for participating in HNT. As we all know, blogs are individuals, in every sense of the word. Our alter egos personalities ooze into what we write and what we write about. I suspect HNT is no different.

Seeing people leaving the ranks of HNT, seeing a recent influx of *new* HNT-ers on several of the blogs I regularly read, and reading a recent post written by the HNT master, Osbasso, (you can find his post [HERE]) got me thinking about why I did my first HNT and what I hope to get out of continuing with HNT.

In a single word, VALIDATION.

For me, it really is about validating the woman that I am. For those of you who are married with kids, you know that you become so-and-so's mom (or dad), or so-and-so's wife (or husband). It is the strangest thing and it hits without warning. Even having a career outside of the home doesn't seem to make one exempt from the process. Somehow - and almost instantaneously - we become the object of someone else’s possession.

In my life, this has been compounded by surrounding myself with people who talk about the virtues of others while never seldom expressing any admiration for my virtues, coupled with battling significant weight issues for 30+ years. It has landed me in a place where self-doubt and self-loathing of my physical appearance are commonplace.


I know, this is starting to sound like one of those pity-party posts, and before I lead you too far down that road, know that HNT - and all of you - have put me in a place where I can start to change that way of thinking. What you don't know about my weekly HNT post is that each and every week I have somewhat of a panic attack moment of perpetual deliberation prior to posting a pic. That damn little voice in my head asks, "Will it be offensive?", "Will the compliments I receive seem forced?", "Will people be thinking, 'That old woman needs to put some clothes on!'?" You'd think, after seven weeks of positive feedback, it would get easier, but it has been a terribly slow process.

HNT has been, and hopefully will continue to be, validation of my womanhood if you will. Validation that although a 20-year old body is quite a beautiful thing, a 43-year old body can be just as beautiful. Validation that sexy comes in all shapes, sizes and ages, and is far more about attitude than genetics. Validation that, at some level, we all deal with self-doubt. Validation that I am OK fabulous, just as I am, imperfections and all!

36 comments:

Anndi said...

Dana,

Yesterday's picture was possibly the most outstanding and honest picture anyone could put out there... I absolutely adored it. I've spent some time here, slowly getting to know you and yeah... you are fabulous.


Simply put, you RAWK!

Smooch you sexy, intelligent lady!

Dana said...

Anndi, thank you! This really wasn't supposed to be a stroke me post, but it feels good all the same!

Anndi said...

The best strokes are the ones you didn't ask for. ;)

Christo Gonzales said...

strokes? oh THAT kind...my bad

Anndi said...

DB: yeah, well THOSE too...

Dianne said...

Knowing that you hesitate before posting your HNT makes them even more beautiful to me.

You're being brave while looking hot ;)

I totally get the validation part.

Dana said...

Anndi and DB, like I said, I'll take any strokes that I can get - of whatever kind!

Dianne, hesitate is not even close - hyperventilate is more like it! I knew the validation thing would hit close to home for many - I can't be the only one!

g-man said...

Here here! Beauty does come in all shapes and sizes. Well said, you are all woman.

Real Live Lesbian said...

You really are fabulous! When I lose all my weight, I'll post a pic of me sitting behind a house plant!

You rock, sister!

Jay said...

You really do rock Dana! Age, size, race and all of those things really have nothing to do with being sexy. I've known lots of young and beautiful women who weren't very sexy because they didn't know how to be sexy. YOU know what sexy is babe! ;-)

Osbasso said...

I think that the more you do it, the more comfortable you become, so that at some point, you'll look back and wonder what the big deal was! Keep on clicking!

Dana said...

G-man, you just like my boobies!

RLL, how 'bout you post a pic of you sitting behind me instead? *giggle*

Jay, put your clothes back on. Wait? You said I *know* sexy, not I *no* sexy? You can leave them off!

Dana said...

Osbasso, let's hope that within the next year or so the hyperventilating fades to just sheer panic!

Jeff B said...

This is just like the first time I actually read the articles in Playboy!

To place yourself in a position of vonerability like you have with both photos and words takes a tremendous amount of courage.

You are a gorgeous woman for many reasons. Thanks for your candor.

Dana said...

Jeff, candor I can do, I'm just glad y'all put up with it!

Anonymous said...

Your fear is just an indication that you consider HNT more serious than some and recognize that baring yourself despite your self-doubts is an act of bravery that is building something inside you. For you it is more than just "show 'em the goods" and it shows. I've said it before, you're an excellent blogger, and an excellent HNT'er.

FMD

buffalodick said...

Well, I hope you've picked up on the fact that I think you look great!

R.E.H. said...

This was indeed a very interesting read, Dana. For the very same reasons I'm thinking I should join the HNT train... but, I'm not as brave as you like that.

Having suffered the same weight issues for many, many years - and now having lost (most of) it is a strange thing. Going from constantly hearing that you're ugly, to getting the occasional positive comment is weird for me.

You are a brave woman, Dana - and for that I envy you.

Leighann said...

You are a brave woman, Dana - and for that I envy you.

Exactly what I was coming here to say. But let me just add one more thing....

I'm grateful that our paths in life have crossed and allowed us to become the friends that (I think) we are. Your strength AND candor have helped me in more ways than you know.

Schmoop said...

My 43 year old body thanks you. However, I just do HNT in order to pick up chicks....It's not working. Cheers Dana!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are a crackhead.
How bout that.
You look great. Goddang woman!!
43
damn
your old, did you know Moses?
haaaaaaaaaaa
Girl you look like a hamp, but you already knew I thought that!!
Carry on.

Dana said...

FMD, am I that transparent? Damn! And here I thought I was so complex!!

Buff, I've actually been a bit - OK, a LOT - surprised by the response to HNT, but yes, you've made yourself pretty clear. *giggle*

R.E.H., in a way, HNT is right up your alley! You actually do a bit of it now, just not officially.

I think you might be surprised at just how brave you could be!

Dana said...

Leighann, most days I don't feel strong, but I keep thinking that maybe if I fake it long enough I'll start believing it!

Matt-Man, it's not working because you already have the BEST chick!

SS, you deserve a spanking for that one, and it's going to leave a mark!

Anonymous said...

*champ!
I know you cyphered it but I meant champ. Even though your first boyfriend was Adam.

Big Kahuna said...

Dana,

Love the introspective look into why you HNT. Babushka and I have somewhat lost our mojo in that area for a number of reasons.

Validation from others is a good thing that all of us need. Some of us so we can begin to validate ourselves.

You are beautiful indeed - inside and out.

Kahuna

Dana said...

SS, and here I thought you were calling me a TRAMP!

Kahuna, you hit the nail on the head when you wrote, "Validation from others is a good thing that all of us need. Some of us so we can begin to validate ourselves."

I hadn't been able to put my finger on why, exactly, the validation has become so important until I read your comment. Thank you!

Unknown said...

You definitely are way braver than me.

I don't even take pictures of myself fully clothed, as evidenced by the latest passel of pictures I posted on my blog about Easter. Yep, the whole gang is there, but me. I can't stand to immortalize my double chin and flapping arms.

Then I think, if something were to happen to me, the kids would have very little evidence I didn't die ten years previous. It's always a fight between my husband and me because he tries to take my picture and tell me he finds me attractive.

So in short (ha!), while I can't seem to get over my hang ups, I love that you are so confident, so free. Of course, your 43 year old body is so way better than this saggy, baggy 35 year old body....

Hate you! :)

Unknown said...

Dana, you are a special blessing to many. Hugs to you—lots of hugs.

Karen said...

Well said Dana. Very well said.

Unknown said...

And you ARE perfect and beautiful. I'm a woman, the same age as you, and while I have never struggled with my weight, I still would never feel comfortable enough to post those pictures of myself. You should be applauded!

And hey, we're the same age!

Dana said...

Scout, I noticed you were missing in the Easter photos! Shame on you!

Nick, sometimes the most simple comments touch the heart the most. Thank you!

Karen, aging is far mor cruel to women!

Dana said...

Bina, who said I was comfortable??

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! Always.

Elisa said...

hey i say go you! you do look great! Good job! i wish i were inspired enough to put my fork down. lol ;)

Unknown said...

I came here to look at the pics but found that there is a lot more to this blog than just a lady going topless.This particular post really made me understand why(this is not to say I have anything against women taking their clothes off for no apparent reason) you do it.You write very well and the pic really made me wish I could reach out and throw the plant out of the way.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you'll see this comment, since I'm reading your archives, but I hope you will. It must take MAJOR guts to post HNT in your blog, more so than posting pictures on voyeurweb.com or similar. Here people who KNOW even if only cyber-know) you will see it. So it takes guts. On top of that, you are very sexy and creative with the pictures (as I've said, I'm going through the archives). Some have blown me away, either for the creativity or your sexiness, or both. Keep up the great work.

I also (obviously) have been enjoying your writings. You seem to be in a very tough spot right now. Your husband sounds like a jerk. Since I don't walk in your shoes, I will withold judgement on you going outside of your marriage. The biggest thing (to me) about cheating is the breach of trust. Doesn't seem you have (or should) much trust in your husband so that goes out the window. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for your son you'd be out of there. It's hard to know what's best for him, though....

Anyway, you've been through a lot, sadly you're still in a bad (although better) spot. I wish you Good Luck and am looking forward to more entertaining posts (including HNT, of course)

Oh, BTW, you are absolutely right about sexiness being at least as much if not more about attitude as anything else.