24 March 2008

Food or Punishment?

Have you heard the news? Today, the Vermont Supreme Court heard arguments in a class action suit brought by inmates who say the Nutraloaf they are being served is not food but punishment. The inmates believe anyone subjected to having to eat it should get a formal disciplinary process first.

So, what is Nutraloaf? Apparently, the recipes vary, but the one used in Vermont (a vegan recipe) includes a mixture of cubed whole wheat bread, nondairy cheese, raw carrots, spinach, seedless raisins, beans, vegetable oil, tomato paste, powdered milk and dehydrated potato flakes. It is a nutritionally balanced food served without utensils or trays. Many inmates say they'd rather go hungry than eat it.

Ummm ... yeah ... so how does an inmate in Vermont end up on a Nutraloaf diet? Let me tell you, it is reserved for the very special inmates. These inmates include those who throw feces, urine, trays and silverware at prison staff, or those who have attempted to make weapons out of trays and silverware. Once the inmate stops the unacceptable behavior, he is returned to a "normal" prison diet.

Here's a thought ... quit acting like animals and you will not be treated like one. Better yet, give your Nutraloaf to the people of North Korea who are given a ration of grains from their government and have to forage for fruits and vegetables to supplement the grains. What? That's cruel and unusual punishment? Maybe a little cruel and unusual punishment is what you need considering you find it acceptable to throw feces, urine, trays and silverware at prison staff - something that I think certainly qualifies as cruel and unusual.

Now, for all of you fans of the "not everyone in prison is guilty" school of thought, get a grip! This isn't about guilt or innocence, it's about acting like a minimally acceptable human being. Vermont, I say serve your Nutraloaf and be proud! If the inmates don't like it, maybe they'll work a little harder at staying out of prison next time!

24 comments:

Jay said...

I always wondered why prisons don't just serve Ramen Noodles. It's super cheap and not all that bad, really.

Jeff B said...

Throw your feces...get a Nutraloaf...it's the law!

These are probably the same whinny bastards that feel they are being treated unfairly by only getting twelve channels on the color TV instead of twenty or more.

If they would rather go hungry, I say let them. Maybe after a couple of then keel over and die the others will stop bitching and moaning about how rough they have it.

It's called prison, not the Ritz Carlton.

Why do I have a feeling the ACLU will be getting involved at some point?

Anonymous said...

As long as people are liberals and vote the way they do this idiocy will never change.
Utter insanity.
I vote for the Sherrif in Az that sleeps them in tents for President, grand poobah and king.
He'd break hat shit up and beg the far left loons to sue him.

Jahooni said...

okay, this is how i can lose my weight before my vacation... go to prison and eat Top Romen!

They are lucky that get that, right?

Dana said...

Jay, I think that would greatly reduce the taxpayer expense. Ramen noodles for all!

Jeff, I'm wondering when prisoners stopped expecting PUNISHMENT in prison! Don't even get me started on the ACLU!

SS, as much as I believe our justice system is one of the best, things like this piss me off!

Dana said...

Johooni, stay away from the Ramen noodles - the high sodium will make you retain water! The shorts will never fit!

Anonymous said...

As Jeff said, it's not called prison but Ritz Carlton!

buffalodick said...

It's being done for safety reasons, not punishment, right?

Dana said...

Joel, sometimes I think if it weren't such a great place to go, people might actually try to stay out!

Buff, the staff consider it to be an administrative action. Quite frankly, if it provides the required daily nutrients, I have no issues with it.

Unknown said...

The people in prison have it so easy at it is. Now they are whinning about their food? I like the guy in Arizona, who has a tent city prison, and the prioners have to wear pink everything, no AC, no heat, etc. Now THAT'S the way to treat a prisoner.

Karen said...

After reading your post I brought this up at dinner with my girlfriends last night. WOW. I didn't realize what a hot button topic this would be. I actually have 2 friends who are not speaking to each other becuase the argument over prison food turned NASTY. LOL. Thanks for a great topic of discussion.

Leighann said...

My dad worked in the prison system for almost 30 years, one of them being Joliet. I'm very jaded toward things like this because of the stories he used to tell.

99% of prisoners are spoiled crybabies.

Dana said...

Bina, I certainly realize that prison isn't the best place to be, but I can't help but think that if they made it actual punishment it might be more of a deterrent.

Karen, I'm sure the conversation was an interesting one. From a legal standpoint the argument is quite interesting.

Leighann, I often wonder just how successful prisoners would be had they used their time OUT of prison as wisely as they use it in prison.

Christo Gonzales said...

"inmates rights" isnt that an oxymoron

Leighann said...

But going to prison gets them 3 squares a day and a college education. How many of them do you think would have gotten that on the outside?

It's EASIER to be a prisoner than it is to be an upstanding citizen.

(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

justsomeguy said...

I still think the use of hard labor is fair and just. Give them eight good hours spent making little rocks out of big rocks and they'll be too tired to disagree, let alone argue about what's for dinner.

Unknown said...

I have to say I agree with the good doctor....my grandfather got sent to the state Farm as it was called back then, and you learned a lesson. Now life in prison is a vacation not a sentence.

Anndi said...

I say feed em unhealthy crap so they die faster... The people of Vermont are being too dang nice to those criminals if you ask me.

Dana said...

DB, unfortunately it isn't - but it should be!

Leighann, I agree, and honestly do believe it is why many criminals become repeat offenders.

Good Doc, you'll get no argument from me!

Dana said...

Mama, I don't know that I would say prison is a vacation, but I will agree that many prisoners are living a better life in prison than they were out of prison.

Anndi, I like your attitude!

Michael M. said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

They can take their Nutraloaf and lump it!! Lucky they're not in prison in Peru, where the ceilings in prisoner areas are only about 4' high. It makes it difficult for prisoners to fight with each other or guards when they have to stoop over. I've often thought we should adopt the same. Nonetheless, if it gets them the basic nutrients, I say make it regular food for all of 'em. If it's cheap to make, then so much the better. If they wanted good food, they should have thought twice about whatever they did to get themselves there.

Excellent post as usual my dear Dana

FMD

Unknown said...

I'm outraged that they're outraged. I'm outraged our tax dollars are paying for this law suit. I truly believe felons should be stripped of their rights. The way they run it now, it's a farking resort. The ACLU is such a joke and will surely raise the battle cry over this. These people act like animals to get in prison, act like animals when they're in there, but deserve fillet mignon, unlimited access to public lawyers, job training, and even get conjugal visits. Doesn't sound like punishment to me. Think about soldiers in Iraq are eating--M.R.E.s aren't much better and these guys are freely eating sustenance--which with their job might be their last-- without so much as a lawsuit.

Elisa said...

Have you ever watched the show Oz? There are a few prisoners on that show that definitely deserve some Nutraloaf.

I think it sounds like a great idea.