29 March 2008

What's On Your Table?

About 2 weeks ago - or is that 2.7 blogging years? - Anastasia over at Apathy Lounge posted a bit of a meme challenge. She asked her reader's to post a photo of their dining room table to offer a glimpse into their "real" life. Jay, the Cynical Bastard that he is, actually took on the challenge, and if Jay can do it, so can I! But, as you are about to see, if my dining room table speaks volumes about me, we are in BIG trouble! Let's start in the formal dining room, shall we?


What? You don't see anything on that table? That would be correct! Of course there are decorative items - my basket of balls, a table runner from Target, and if you look really close I'm sure you'll find some dust, but other than that, nadda! What's even a bit more sad is the fact that we've had this table for two years and there has NEVER been a meal served on it.

Next up, the table in the informal dining room.


This is actually where we eat all of our meals, almost every night. Yes, we are a "family dinner table" family. Of course, there isn't much to see here either - just some place mats from Target, salt and pepper grinders from Costco (I *heart* fresh ground pepper and sea salt), assorted trivets and napkins. Yes, this is how this table always looks - there was no cleaning prior to taking this photo!

I know you all are thinking I'm some freak of nature. I mean, everyone has a table full of daily activities, right?? Well, my secret is the desk in the kitchen. This is where "real" life accumulates!

The two stacks of paper on the left? Those are hubby's - much of which needs to be shredded (note the shredder under the desk) - but will likely continue to accumulate for another 3"-4". The red book under the stack of papers on the far left? A photo album that never found it's way home.

As you move to the center of the desk you'll see two cordless phones. One has speaker phone capability but a short battery life, so they both sit there. This is also where the quick charge for the rechargeable batteries stays.

The right half of the desk? Well, that's all mine. You'll see the local weekly paper waiting to be read, the Tuesday Morning circular left there to remind me to stop by next week, a copy of Railroad magazine (I've got to get that on the coffee table) and more stacks of paper waiting to be shredded. You'll also notice a stud finder on the far right - that is there waiting for me to use it to finish the bathroom update project - I need to hang a storage cabinet in the "water closet." Oh, and the photo cube - a $2 garage sale find which holds all the miscellaneous little junk that gets in the way. I've got chap stick, Dave & Buster's game cards, keys - all that kind of good stuff lives there.

You'll see that we also use under the desk for overflow. This is where the shredder stays. That white bag behind the shredder? A bag full of paperback books given to me by a friend about 5 months ago. I put the bag there and haven't moved it since. You'll also see my son's backpack and his oboe. This desk is right next to the door that goes out to the garage, so my son uses this space for the things that he needs to take to school each day. The red leather squashed bag on the far right? That would be the bag I bought for the commute downtown when I secured my "perfect" job - the one I was let go from back in November. I think I likely keep that bag there as a daily reminder of what I had and lost.

Maybe it's time to clean?

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

im first?!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok I'll read now!

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me. I never understood the formal dining room any more than I understood the fine china wedding gifts or china cabnets??
Every house I ever lived in had them, when we built though I didn't allow it.
Hope your weekend is freaky naughty

Anonymous said...

After seeing your two pristine tables I was starting to panic, but the clutter from the third picture set my mind at ease. I feel so at home in the third picture.

Dana said...

SS, I suppose if you entertain or have large family gatherings, a formal dining room makes more sense. We do neither and the space is really kind of a waste.

A, I may be anal retentive at times, but I feel a certain level of comfort with my clutter corner.

Jay said...

When I first saw your two tables I started to get a little worried, but you pulled it out with the desk. I know a lot of people who have a formal dining room that they've never used. I say put a pool table in that room!

You found my blog using that stud finder didn't you? ahahahahhaa .. I crack myself up. ;-)

R.E.H. said...

Hey, you're even neater than I am ;)

And, yes - I have my messy areas too. I've got a sideboard in my kitchen that is always overflowing with old papers and mail. There is of course the counter... it can get really messy.

But, most of all - my computer desk in the living room. That place looks WAY worse than your desk.

Dana said...

Jay, I think a pool table is the ideal solution for this room! I hate that we never use it and I think a game room and a bar would be far more my style!

R.E.H., being neat is this bad habit I have. Clutter makes me crazy - literally. Seems that if there is clutter in the house it makes clutter in my mind. Not a good thing!

Leighann said...

I think my whole house looks like your 3rd picture!

buffalodick said...

I think I have a photo of our table and chairs I could post- radically different from yours!Looks like nice stuff you got there, missy...

Dana said...

Leighann, when you are down to one kid I bet it won't!

Buff, when we bought the house 2 years ago, we had to buy all new furniture too - we didn't have anything nice enough to put in the new house!

Ken said...

Formal dining room:
the two chairs in the forground are not in line with each other.

Informal dining room:
the placemats are not in line with the chairs.

Kitchen desk:
Absolutely perfect!

Thanks for letting us in!

Dianne said...

Your formal dining room is beautiful but I really, really like the informal room. The table has such clean and simple lines and the color of the wood is warm, perfect contrast.

Christo Gonzales said...

we are bohemian we dont have stuff like that...


proud we are though


our stuff isnt isnt mass produced.

Unknown said...

Throughout my life I’ve only lived in two houses that have had formal dining rooms: the parsonage in southern Indiana and the house in which Alex and I now live. I turned the dining room here into a library and have turned the kitchen table over to Alex; the cat doesn’t like dining from dishes set on the floor. My meals are taken either at my desk or on a TV tray in the living room. Therefore, it’s best that I not follow your lead and post pictures of my, uh, dining room.

Schmoop said...

Holy Crap, and I thought I kep things clean and neat. You are the Felix Unger of Dining areas!!

Dana said...

Micky, are you trying to drive me crazy? I just moved the chairs and the placemats!

Dianne, thank you.

DB, I am on the other side. Although these things are beautiful to some, they aren't a good representation of me. I would much rather have the pride than these things!

Dana said...

Nick, this is the first time I have ever lived in a house with a formal dining room - I find it quite pretentious.

Matt-Man, my house is like my HNT's - I know how to hide the *bad* stuff.

captain corky said...

Both dining room tables are really nice, but the desk in the kitchen is brilliant!

Unknown said...

I LOVE your formal dinning room. It's beautiful! I don't have pictures, but on my table is my electric piano, a basket of flower, and since this is my week with my girls, all my 5 year olds stuff, like papers, crayons, markers, coloring books, paint supplies, etc. But I would rather it be there than in the living room!

As American as Apple Pie said...

I've never had a formal dining room, just one eating place. We use it constantly and now is totally covered with stuff from Spring Break. What is more frightening is the buffet that sits alongside it. That is the catch-all for everything!

I love your style though. Post more pics of other rooms!

Dana said...

Corky, what's even better are the drawers in that desk. More places to hide the chaos!

Bina, thank you. It's funny - I think it is a beautiful space - but it makes me sad that it is really so completely void of memories.

Apple Pie, one of these days I may have to do a house tour. The problem is that this silly house symbolizes everything that is wrong in my life. Maybe that comparison would be interesting?

g-man said...

Hell you should see ours, you'd sh1t if you think yours is a mess! :)

Dana said...

G-Man, I suppose "mess" is a bit subjective, isn't it?

Just your everyday average married momma... said...

Would the bag of books maybe be the ones I gave you 6 months ago???!!! Hmmph, I fly all the way up there just to have lunch with you and give you those books and you don't even care.....
Hmmm maybe it would help if I told you somewhere in one of those books is a picture of my apples...??!!

Dana said...

E, ummmm ... if I plead the 5th will it save my ass??? It's not that I don't appreciate your generosity, it's just that LIFE has been happening!!