01 March 2008

Happy Birthday Boo-Bear!

9:01AM, twelve years ago, my life changed forever. It had been less than perfect circumstances.

The morning that I finally took the pregnancy test I kept looking at that little blue line thinking, "It can't be positive." I was 30 years old, not married and not in a committed relationship. I had just left the military a few months before and was still in the "evaluation" phase of my new, civilian job. That little blue line ... SHIT!

My parents were going to be extremely disappointed. Having their first grandchild should be a a cause for celebration, but I knew better. Not only would I be a single mother, but a single mother of a bi-racial child. My racist father would likely disown me.

How would I afford a baby? My income was just enough to take care of my daily needs, but adding a child to the financial responsibilities would be impossible. Daycare costs alone would be more than I was paying for rent. I couldn't breast feed forever and what about diapers?

And then the thoughts of responsibility came flooding through my brain. I could barely take care of myself most days - how was I going to manage to take care of someone else? Not just someone else, but someone who was completely and totally dependent upon me for his every need. I had no family living anywhere near, and no emotional support system in place.

For a brief moment, I considered that I didn't have to face any of this. I could effectively erase this moment of indiscretion. My future could look very much like it had before the blue line. I could have an abortion. Then just as quickly I realized that I couldn't have an abortion - it wasn't an option.

I put off telling my parents until I was four moths pregnant. I got the response I expected from them, but pretended it didn't matter.

I let my employer know. That discussion went much better. They gave me amazing support and let me know that my pregnancy would not negatively impact my recent employment. They even waved the 1 year waiting period for short-term disability payments so that I would be able to receive partial pay after giving birth.

Although I had never felt healthier, the pregnancy itself was not without complications. At my initial OB/GYN appointment they found a tumor on my uterus. At that time it was about the size of a tomato - it would eventually grow to the size of a cantaloupe, require exploratory surgery when I was six months pregnant, cause pre-term labor issues for the last two months of my pregnancy and necessitate a scheduled c-section delivery.

Yet at 9:01 AM on that Friday morning, as I lay in the cold operating room alone and afraid, the most amazing thing happened - I became the mom to a 9 lb.-12 oz., 23-1/2" long toddler baby boy.

These past twelve years have had some very bright moments and some very dark moments. My parents eventually came to their senses and are as proud as any other grandparents could be - maybe even more. Money was tight for many, many years. There were times when I lived on Ramen noodles for weeks, sometimes even months at a time so that I could afford the things my son needed. And you know what? I'd do it all over again even knowing what struggles we would both face.

As he starts his 13th year of life, many things are uncertain, but there is one thing I know beyond question - he made me a better person and I now have the opportunity, and overwhelming responsibility, to help him be the best person he can be.

Happy "Birth Day" to me!

27 comments:

buffalodick said...

Spoken like a true Mom... As a male, with two male children- I learned and accepted "Get not between the mother and her cubs" I care for my boys as much as any father could, but the bond between Mother and son is sacred. Congraduations! Happy Birthday to the both of you!

Leighann said...

Happy Birthday C!

and

Happy Birth Day D!

Unknown said...

Well said! Birthday blessings to both of you!!!!!!!!!

You can Call me AL said...

Kids, no truer definition of "love at first sight"

Happy Birthday !

Schmoop said...

Great story Dana. Happy Birthday to both of you, and here's to many more. Cheers!!

Jeff B said...

I think I got some dust in my eyes. they're tearing up for some reason.

I think if we waited until we were emotionally, finacially or any other ...ally ready, we would never have kids.

What a great gift they are to us! Happy Birthday to your son.

R.E.H. said...

That was a beautiful post.

Happy Birth Day to you, and Happy Birthday to your son!

And, may you two have many more wonderful years ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

Hapy birthing day to you!!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

What a lovely tribute! Happy March First and Happy Birth Day to both of you!

Christo Gonzales said...

That could not have been said any better

March 1 - same day as my brother

then I got to thinking - this is a leap year - so usually march first would have been yesterday? then I got all confused....

Happy Birthday

Jay said...

What an awesome post!

Happy Birthday to both of you!!

Party it up!

Dana said...

Buff, you are right on with that one ... you can mess with me but don't even think about messing with my son!

Leighann, thank you! It's turning out to be a beautiful day!

Nick, thanks for the blessings! We can use them right now.

Dana said...

Al, I had always questioned my ability to love unconditionally until I had my son.

Matt-Man, it's not exactly a pretty story, but it is a GREAT story!

Jeff, I don't know that the time is ever right to have them, but things just work out once they are here!

Dana said...

R.E.H., thank you!

SS, thank you too!

RLL, I have always liked the day my son decided to arrive. It's a day of new beginings in many ways.

Dana said...

DB, my son was actually born in a leap year, but they wouldn't let me choose the 29th as his birthday - they told me I had to have him either the 28th or the 1st!

Jay, it was kind of a hard one to write, but as I started going it just got easier. We've been partying most of the day!

Karen said...

What a great post. It gave me goosebumps. He is a lucky boy to have you. Happy Bday to you both.

Jahooni said...

This is actually one of the best post I have ever read. I too am teary eyed. I have never heard the expression "Happy Birth Day to Me", so true.

oh, and you need to ad Matt-Man on your blog list to "Other HNT-ers" (I am thinking of doing it too, shhhh... don't tell anyone, k?)

Anyhoo, Happy Birthday to you and your son.

Laura Paxton said...

A late happy birthday to both mom and son! Children DO change us forever...and for the better!

Anonymous said...

Dana,

Great post!! I'm soooo glad you made the right "choice". If you ask me, there is only one choice. But that's a whole other post. Kids challenge us to be the best we can be they force us to look outside ourselves and if we take to the lesson at all, they teach us what real love is all about. There is nothing like that unconditional love that kids give us from the very beginning. That love is ours to either prove ourselves worthy of or totally screw up. It's obvious from the smile on his face that you've done the former. Congratulations Dana on earning your Mom stripes and a Super Duper Happy Birthday to "Boo-bear".

God Bless you both,

FMD

captain corky said...

Happy Birthday, the the both of you! Kids are amazing, and so are Moms. Did you guys do anything special today?

Dana said...

Karen, it gave me goosebumps writing it!

Jahooni, writing this made me realize that it really isn't about how we come into this world, but how we go out that matters.

Laura, thank you for stopping by and thank you for the well wishes!

Dana said...

FMD, I always thought I had a choice, but on that day I realized there really wasn't any other choice that I could live with.

Corky, we had kind of a quiet day, but a good day. A new, high-tech BMX bike sits in the garage waiting for the snow to melt!

Michael M. said...

"Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven." - Henry Ward Beecher

Happy Birth Day to you both!

Dana said...

Michael, thank you!

Adamity73 said...

Happy birthday tp him.

But--my God!--nearly a 10-pound baby?! C-section, indeed.

Happy happy and congratulations.

g-man said...

I seem to be a day or two late on the birth day wishes. {sigh}

Hope that you both celebrated well!!

May this year be phenomenal.

Dana said...

Adamity, almost 10 lbs and hasn't slowed down a bit. He turned 12 on Saturday, is 5'-9" tall, 210 lbs and wearing a men's size 13 shoe!

G-Man, it has been a rough start but I'm feeling this might be a really good year for us - one where mom and son gain a bit more clarity!