21 March 2008

PFC #2 - Game Over




After what seems like an eternity of work and a far more emotional process than last time, I finally finished up the Picture Fiction Challenge, hosted by R.E.H. If you missed this one, be sure to join the fun next month!





************GAME OVER************


It’s been almost 90 days now. Well … 89 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 47 seconds, not that I am counting or anything. When I arrived on that "memorable" Tuesday night, I had no idea even where I was. I thought it was just another holiday family gathering until I saw them all sitting in that circle of folding chairs, staring at me like I had two heads. At that moment I wasn’t feeling the love, I was feeling like hunted prey, ambushed by the crack of a rifle being shot in the dead silence of the forest. Much of what happened next remains a blur, partially due to my alcohol saturated brain cells, and partially due to the speed and direction the information came from.

The first one to speak was my mother. She was crying before she even opened her mouth, her voice breaking as she attempted to form recognizable words. I didn’t hear the word fear, but I could hear the fear in her voice. I remember her reflections of my childhood, the Valentine’s Day dance at my Junior High School (the first time she knew that I was drunk), my frequent and lengthy suspensions from high school due to drug and alcohol use, broken relationships with family and the inability to keep a job for more than six months. It seemed like hours had passed before she finally stopped speaking and began just sobbing.

Next up was my father, his voice much stronger and stable than my mother’s was. I remember hearing the proverbial “Daddy’s Little Girl” saga, intertwined with memories very much like my mother’s. I began wondering to myself if instead of keeping a baby book he had kept a “drunk” book, filled with memories of the many things I had done wrong. I couldn't believe some of the things he remembered. Insignificant events that were long forgotten in my world. I remember thinking this was all so surreal - that no single person could keep track of such things for as long as he had. I was angry. How dare he judge me when it was he who had shown me the path to addiction.

One after another family members and people who claimed to be friends, took their turns spewing their venom, wrapping it up with nice, tidy, "I love you or I wouldn't be doing this" pink bows. The packaging may have looked good to them, but the gift was nothing more than justification to knock me down yet again. At some point, I shut down. I continued to look at each person who spoke, but I couldn't hear the words they were saying - they were completely drowned out by the self-loathing thoughts playing repeatedly in my head.

There was an "intervention professional" there as well. David. I remember wondering who the hell he was when I walked in the room. He seemed to know everyone, yet he had a face that that conveyed deception. I knew the minute I saw him that he was not to be trusted. He gave me that feeling I used to get any time I was near Uncle Reggie - the one that all of the little girls in the family were warned to stay away from. I would see much more of David over the next 89 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 13 seconds, and yes, I'm still counting.

I grab a handful of green M & M's from the Ziploc bag stashed in my carry-on luggage. These damn things have put 11 pounds on me the past three months, but they seem to be the only thing that even comes close to managing the cravings. David tells me my body is no longer toxic - that the drugs and alcohol are not physically ruling my impulses. He has no idea how wrong he is. Every time I put one of these M&M's in my mouth, I pretend that it is that shot of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, or the line of crystal meth, that my body and mind still crave.

I've played the game here; in fact, I'd say that I've mastered the game. I've done the individual therapy, the group therapy, the family therapy. It was so funny the first weekend my parents came out here. Florida in March is much more pleasant than it is in Chicago. They were so proud of how far I had come, how much progress I had made. I was back to being the little girl they felt they had lost to alcohol and drugs. They stood on the beach for hours after that first meeting. I can only imagine what they talked about as I peeked at them through the shears covering my window, once again from the outside looking in. In those moments, they looked so happy they almost made me want to quit … almost …

89 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and 24 seconds and I am finally walking out the door of what has been my prison, back to the life that brings me comfort - far more comfort than any of those people sitting in that intervention room could ever offer me. The life that allows me to escape from the painful realities of what life is and what life always will be. David may have won round one, but I won the fight. Fuck you David, and fuck the rest of you with your judgmental words of pity. Game over.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A little explanation on the photos. I tool a few more liberties with interpretation this time

I saw the main character as a 30-something woman, determined, a high achiever and somewhat of a loner.

Green M&M's and a Starbuck's cup. I didn't use the Starbuck's cup, but managed to find a good (hopefully) place for the M&M's.

The tigers were a bit of a challenge and rather than think about them, I focused on what they mean to me. Hunting for prey, ready to pounce - hopefully those were actions you felt when reading the story.

A sunny beach, Florida to be exact. I even took the liberty of using the people in the photo in the story.

This one was about watching from afar, seeing oneself from the outside looking in, spying on others

27 comments:

Jeff B said...

That was brilliant!

I love how you looked beyond the pictures to grab signiffigance for your story. Very nicely done.

This looks like a fun exercise in writing. I'll have to follow you link to his site and check it out.

Jay said...

A very different interpretation of the photos! Very cool! I enjoyed that a lot Dana.

Unknown said...

Wow! I’m impressed, Dana. You did an outstanding job.

Richard said...

That was an excellent story and interpretation of the photos.

buffalodick said...

Did you base this on demons seen, or demons imagined? Good stuff...

Dana said...

Jeff, thank you! You really should do this challenge. Reading the other stories is really a lot of fun too!

Jay, photos are funny things - interpretation of them is usually based on life experience. I haven't had a chance to read the other PFC's but am looking forward to doing that today.

Nick, thank you!

Dana said...

Richard, I'm glad you came back and I'm glad you enjoyed a different part of my blog.

Buff, both ... really. This story *is* fiction, but some of the feelings are not. Does that make any sense?

Leighann said...

Dana, that was fantastic! I think that you did a great job of intepreting the pictures.

I was totally lost on them this time around. I could NOT wrap my brain around them no matter how hard I tried.

Great job!

Schmoop said...

Verrrry well done Dana...However I thought the picture of the 30-ish year old "woman" was really Skid Row front man, Sebastian Bach. Cheers!!

Dana said...

Leighann, I almost felt like I was cheating when interpreting the pictures. Sometimes the literal interpretation just doesn't work for me.

Matt-man, it's funny you say that - you weren't the only person who thought that pic might just be a man!

Leighann said...

I think that's what my problem was this time around. I couldn't see past the one dimensional aspect of the pictures.

Sebastian Bach is HAWT!!

R.E.H. said...

I'm really impressed!

This was a fantastic way to interpret the pictures, and thank you for doing the explanations underneath them all - I did wonder about the tigers while reading, but once I read how you interpetrated the pic... it was spot on! Way to think "outside the box".

The story itself was dark, depressing and engaging. I kinda wished for a happy ending, but this is the story you were telling, and this is the truth so often for the people caught up in drug and/or alcohol addiction. I can see you poured a part of your soul into this.

Thank You. I really mean it - this was great work!

Dana said...

Leighann, those pics were a bitch! If I'd have stuck with what they looked like, instead of the feeling they gave me, I'd have been ... well ... stuck!

R.E.H., yeah ... not exactly an uplifting story was it? I just wasn't feeling a happily-ever-after moment anywhere in it.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Great interpretation of the pics! I always seem to see them at face value. Nice out of the box thinking.

captain corky said...

Great job, Dana! This story hit a little to close to home for me. ;)

Dana said...

Farmer's Wife, I had to go out-of-the-box on this one or it wasn't going to get done!

Corky, yeah ... it wasn't the easiest story for me to write either. Fiction, yes ... but with real emotions.

Raven said...

This was wonderfully done - you conjured the scene and the emotions so well. I loved it. It's so amazing how the same pictures bring such wonderful unique stories from each of us.

I hope you'll check out the Saturday Worzzle Challenge at Raven's Nest. It's fun.

Jo said...

I enjoyed this, Dana...taking the ride with a character who's playing along & remains unconvinced was really interesting. I love the way you interpreted the tigers.

Christo Gonzales said...

I got scared there for more than a mine...

Anndi said...

Wow! You knocked me on my ass with that one.

You have a gift!

Happy Day of Renewal and new beginnings!

Dana said...

Raven, thank you! I keep hearing about this Saturday Worzzle Challenge - maybe that means I need to get over there and take a look!

Jo, thank you! Those damn tigers were almost the death of me.

DB, I'm hoping that is good?!

Dana said...

Anndi, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the most appropriate greeting I've received today - I love it!

Dianne said...

You used the green candies beautifully! and the tigers!

this was a wonderful and haunting story! great job dana.

Dana said...

Dianne, thank you! It was good to hear that it wasn't too dark for most people.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to make the rounds. I enjoyed this. Can't relate, but enjoyed it. I like how abstractly you interpreted the pictures. I am a concrete person so I can't do that . . . and therefore I sometimes feel like I'm forcing connections. This, though, I liked.

Em

Newt said...

Oh wow. I was checking on REH's blog for WWC and I noticed his list for PFC was longer than I remembered it so I am going back and catching up on the ones I missed. This was FANTASTIC. I really enjoyed this. So unexpected, so raw, quite well done! I can't wait to read what you do next month!

Dana said...

Newt, I was a bit late in getting mine up, but I'm glad you came to check it out!