06 September 2018

Soooo ... this happened on Facebook Tuesday

You know how they say "Never read the comments"? There is a reason for that. 

Jeff is someone I've known via the internet for 10+ years. He's not what I would call a dear friend, but he is someone who I respected (yes, past tense). I've watched his kids grow up. He's watched my son grow up. I really was taken aback by this post (which has since been edited - he deleted his KaeperDICK references, his inflammatory speech, and his reference to how this is disrespectful to Pat Tillman even though Pat Tillman's widow has spoken out otherwise). I should have just scrolled by, but I believe that complacency is a big part of the problem



Now, in all fairness, I didn't approach this the way I should have if I was looking to engage in a conversation (which really was my intent), but based on his "Whatever" comment and the post editing since Tuesday night, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a discussion even if I had approached it differently.

If you are not aware of what this is all about (I know ... not everyone listens to sports radio like I do), Nike signed Colin Kaepernick to be the face of the 30th anniversary celebration of their "Just Do It" iconic motto.

Of course, social media was all (fake) OUTRAGED at the audacity of Nike. Hello? Of course nothing is more patriotic than standing during the National Anthem at a football game! You think taking a stand against social injustice is patriotic? PPPFFFFTTTTT! 

Kaepernick has been under contract with Nike since 2011 (where were all of you shoe burners then?). He's been negotiating a new, multi-year contract with Nike for several months. This isn't anything new - Kaepernick and Nike didn't just sign a deal on Tuesday - people just didn't care until they saw this photo (now my profile pic on Facebook).



Heaven forbid people dare question if they might be the one who is wrong. Self-reflection and intellectual evolution is for traitors like Kaepernick and Chip Bergh (Levi is also under fire for daring to financially support activists working to curb gun violence).

Look ... if you think Kaepernick's quiet protest of kneeling during the National Anthem is a horrific act? You likely have never seen - first hand - the social injustice that he was protesting. I get it. But maybe rather than getting stuck on kneeling during the National Anthem, you should get stuck on resolving social injustice in this country.

I mean, if you want to burn the sneakers (that Nike already has your money for) and burn the clothes (that Levi already has you money for), go ahead ... but then who is the one who is too stupid to breathe?

According to Facebook, I am.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I have a couple of friends that belong to the enemy camp. One in particular posts all kinds of things like that. I just retaliate with counter memes. If something he posts is not true, I'll post the Snopes link to re-educate him. I think this was one where your brain should have told you to 'KEEP THE FINGERS AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!' :)

Dana said...

Mike, I am sitting nodding my head as I read your comment. You're right, I really should have just scrolled on by. For some silly reason I thought Jeff might actually be open to a different perspective. Based on his response, and the response of his brother (Gene), there wasn't a chance in hell that was going to happen.