06 January 2013

I Still Hate My Job

I wanted to follow up on a few comments that were left on Friday's post.

Mike commented: Family owned business = very low opportunity for advancement. I thought you were a natural born accountant. What's your degree field? Are you a math major?
And this family owned business is really top heavy on family. I have worked for one other, large, family owned business. Although some of the issues there were similar to what I am dealing with in my current position, they did one thing right - they required any family member who wanted to work in the family business to work elsewhere for 5 years before becoming part of the family business. This gave potential family member employees invaluable perspective on how "real" companies work. 
My degree field is paralegal studies. I was a late bloomer - getting my degree at 42 - and was able to work in the legal field for a little over a year (commuting to downtown Chicago) before it was decided that finding something closer to home was best for the family.
I'm With Stupid (Jay) commented: It probably won't make you feel any better when I tell you that your description of your work environment also accurately describes about 90% of corporate America. I think the two big things that would make any job better would be for it to be doing something interesting and for a decent amount of paid time off. Two things that are very hard to find in this country.
I have worked in corporate America for many years, 7 of those with 3M. Maybe I just got lucky with 3M, but it was nothing like my current employer. Employees were valued. Benefits (including paid time off, excellent and affordable healthcare, and the opportunity to work on independent, innovative projects) were readily available. I know there are much better positions out there, but I also know that I need to take my time finding one of those so that I don't find myself exactly where I am now.
I've been working for 32 years, and I've had some really bad jobs. Nurses Aid in a long-term care facility. Parts Masker in a steel fabrication plant paint shop. U.S. Army Soldier (great experience, crappy job). I've also had some jobs that I really enjoyed.

There was a time when I was just happy to pay the bills, but at my age? I just have no desire to spend my remaining 15 working years dreading each week day. I'd rather work 2, lower paying jobs that I actually enjoy, than 1 job that pays the bills but gives me too much insight into the "going postal" mentality.

Know what I mean??