04 June 2012

Why Do I Follow You?

~*~

I've gotten less and less tolerant on social media.

There was a time when I was concerned that someone might get their feelings hurt if I unfollowed them (quite narcissistic, actually), and I figured putting up with them was the nice thing to do.

Now?

Fuck that ... unless you say really stupid things - regularly - then I might continue following you so that I can make fun of you. Otherwise? The unfollow button is my friend.

I run into enough random stupid in real life - I don't need to invite it into my cyber world. And? I'm sure as hell not so important that being unfollowed by me should matter.

Your 17-year old son has a confederate flag as his profile image on facebook? UNFOLLOW.
 
The only time you interact with me is when you are making attempting to make snide remarks that you think are cute and cutting edge? UNFOLLOW.

You can't have your opinion challenged without getting petty and passive-aggressive on all social media platforms? UNFOLLOW.

Lashing out at me isn't enough so you throw my "buddies" into the mix when they have nothing to do with your angst? UNFOLLOW ... and BLOCK.

There seems to be this assumption of friendship? Loyalty? I'm not sure what ... when you've been following someone in social media for a while. They get all butt-hurt when you've finally had enough of them and unfollow.

You'd think they'd throw a party because you were finally gone, especially when it's clear the very sight of you on their dash gets them all hot and bothered.

Not usually the case.

I can't imagine anyone would care why I unfollowed, but if you have the gonads to ask? Don't be surprised when you get an honest answer. You might prefer to have a moment of faux superiority and publicly proclaim "Good Riddance!"

It's better for your ego that way.


This post brought to you by the number 2, the letters U and P,
and the colors green and yellow.

~*~
(21/28)

2 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

I tend to follow and unfollow rather impulsively. I guess I have a higher tolerance level than others because I really don't unfollow much. Sure, if someone is being way over the top stupid or racist or whatever, I will. But, otherwise I'm not easily bothered by people's tweets, status updates or posts.

Jay

Jormengrund said...

Geesh.. Something seems to hit a little close to home here. I don't know if you were preaching right at me Dana, but the point has been made ma'am.. *salute*