06 June 2012

Your Windows Are Steamy

~*~

Thanks to today's Google Doodle, I learned that June 6th is the 79th anniversary of the first "Park-In" (Drive-In) theater in Camden, NJ.

I have vivid (and wonderful, which is odd for my childhood) memories of going to the drive-in theater with my parents when I was very young, and some pretty steamy memories of going to the drive-in theater without my parents when I was a teen.

The Bel-Kirk Drive-In was minutes from where I grew up, and even added a second screen in the early 70's.

I fondly remember the big, heavy speakers that sat on a pole between parking spaces, connected by a cord that was always just a little too short. They were made to rest on the top edge of the window, rolling it up to keep it in place (years later speakers were replaced by a radio signal). In the Seattle area, you could purchase this suction cup and tarp contraption at the concession stand to keep your window clear during those rainy nights (most nights). I remember always getting to play on the playground that sat in front of the screen. I'm pretty sure that's when my parents made out.

When we first moved to Illinois, we stumbled on the McHenry Outdoor Theater. Husband and I took Delaney and Cam there to see one of the first Harry Potter movies.

They were not impressed.

Actually, I wasn't either.

I like cushy chairs and mosquito free movie viewing.

Ahhhh ... the good old days ...

If you are feeling nostalgic, or just want to torture yourself, you can find your nearest drive-in [HERE] (putting in just the state gives you a complete list for the state).

Have you ever been to a drive-in? If so, what are your favorite memories?

~*~
(23/30)

5 comments:

Mike said...

What's a Drive in Theatre? are they like 3D?!

Dana said...

Mike, Just for that? I'm going to make you go to the one in McHenry!

Tracie Nall said...

I explained drive-ins to my daughter yesterday. She had never heard of them...which made me realize I've pretty much failed as a mother.

Jormengrund said...

Ah.. the good old days.. I recall watching Grease and Grease II on the drive-in screen, the original Star Wars, Empire and Return all on the drive in screen, and even better was watching the horror movie fest the theater owners did every Halloween, showing Jason, Michael, Freddie and Jaws, Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and various other horror flicks!

Mike said...

The older Mike knows all about drive ins' and sneaking people in to them in the trunk.