18 June 2012

SHUSH!

~*~

Webster defines "shushing" as:
: to urge to be quiet : hush
I define it as one of the top ten things in life I hate. In fact, I would say there are few things in life I hate more than being SHUSHED!

I'm not talking about being an obnoxious idiot during a movie and being shushed, but those moments when someone shushes you "for your own good".

Let me give you an example.

Friday, my employer hosted an "Appreciation & Accomplishment" luncheon (a.k.a. a "We are too cheap to host an employee (and family) picnic any more, so we'll throw some tables and chairs in the warehouse and serve you a buffet of chicken, pulled pork sammiches (which we'll run out of half way through service), baked beans and pasta salad during your lunch hour and bask in our generosity" luncheon.

Anyway, one of my co-workers and I went down about 15 minutes after the luncheon started and secured ourselves a place at the end of the line. During this time, she asked me a question about a work issue I had been struggling with earlier in the day, so I responded.

Midway through my response, she put her finger to her lips and uttered, "SHUSH!"

*blink*

*blink*

Now wait just a minute here! You asked me a question and you dare SHUSH! me while I'm answering said question??

In her defense (not really - more like 'in her perspective' because I will not defend shushing), she was concerned that my blunt response would be overheard by other co-workers who were standing near us in line.

Here is the problem ...

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

Had those co-workers asked me the same question I'd have given them the same response. I was not embarrassed by my words. I was not afraid someone would overhear my words. I owned those words, dammit!

With a rare exception, shushing should be reserved for children who interrupt adult conversations. Shushing during an adult conversation - with another adult - implies that you think the speaker is an idiot who needs you to save from their words.

I am not an idiot (most of the time)!

And I do not need saving!

I use words with much forethought. Yes, I am more often than not blunt to a fault. If I have a problem with you, you will be very aware of said problem because I will TELL you. No sugar-coated, passive-aggressive hints here. I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out a way to tell you something in a way that won't offend you because chances are? You need to be offended!

Is this always best practice in the work environment? Actually, I think it is exactly what the work environment needs - a little brutal honesty - but my co-workers clearly don't see it that way. They'd rather keep their heads down, their mouths shut, and fear The Man who signs their paycheck.

Fuck that!

And fuck you if you SHUSH me!

For the record? After being shushed I told my co-worker that she has known me long enough (4 years) to know what will happen when she asks me that type of question, and rather than shush me, maybe she should take ownership of her words.

I ate lunch by myself ... at my desk.

~*~
(27/42)

5 comments:

Mike said...

But NT's are all about 'sugar-coated, passive-aggression'. This is what's brought human kind to where it is today.

I'm With Stupid said...

"Blunt to a fault"

"Inconsiderate"

"Rude"

"Obnoxious"

"Lacks Social Skills"

"Lacks Self Control"

"Selfish"

It's all the same.

Sure, you may not give a fuck about the consequences of your bluntness when it comes to YOU, but what about the person you are talking to? Maybe they would rather not have YOUR words hung around them publicly like that? Maybe they would rather others (and bosses) not associate THEM with YOUR "could give a fuck bluntness." Ever take that into consideration?

Jay

Dana said...

Mike, Yeahhhh ... just NOT my style!

Jay (I'm With Stupid), What? Well fuck you too! Look, I get that she might be concerned with how my words make her look, but that becomes her problem. Selfish? Maybe. Lacking self control? Oh hell no! I am very much in control of myself when answering questions. All that other stuff? Mostly true ... and I'm okay with that. If she isn't? Not my problem!

Susan said...

I get where you are coming from. As long as you don't care that you end up eating lunch by yourself, then that's fine. You may even prefer that.

I dream about what I'd say and the emails I'd write to my employers. However, I can't afford to burn the bridge. It would piss me off if someone else burned the bridge for me and I'd avoid that someone like the plague.

Dana said...

Susan, I didn't mind, at all, eating lunch by myself! And I have no issue with my co-worker deciding (if she did) to never ask me a question about work (or anything else for that matter) again. She should consider if talking to me about work is detrimental to her job/career ... and she should have considered that before asking the question in the environment we were in.

I wasn't playing the martyr card. I (willingly) accept the consequences for my (as Jay would describe it) selfish lack of control :)