24 October 2011

Little Drummer Boy

~*~*~


As it's been a while since many of you have heard anything about Cam, I thought I'd give y'all a quick update.

Cam's first year at the therapeutic day school was nothing less than craptastic.  What we (I) thought would be a short stint in the "big house" turned into a battle of wills.  During our IEP meeting in the spring, we struck a deal - if Cam performed well during summer session, he would be able to begin transitioning back to his home high school in the fall.

It was if if someone flipped a switch.

His attitude and behavior improved beyond measure.

His grades were phenomenal (for him) - an A in world history, a B in English.

All systems were "GO" until the therapeutic day school balked - claimed they hadn't made any such commitment to the transition based on summer school (because there were only 2 classes and it was a self-contained session). I called for another IEP and set my foot down. I won. Cam earned it.

Cam started transitioning to his home high school (1/4 time) this fall - taking 2 non-academic classes (concert band and PE) while still maintaining full academics at the therapeutic day school.

He is again involved in his first love (music), playing the bass drum in the marching band and the oboe in the concert band.

His report card first term (combined from both schools) included 2 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's.

*NOTE* For all of you "My little snowflake is in honor society and always gets a trophy" bumper sticker parents - FUCK YOU! My kid is as imperfect as the come, but he's making significant changes and I'm proud!

Cam added an academic class at his home high school second term. He is now at the high school 1/2 time and the therapeutic day school 1/2 time.  Assuming he continues to do well *crosses fingers* he will be back at his home high school - full time - after winter break

Cam's academic/behavioral achievements also earned him Driver's Ed.  He got his driver's permit last month and refuses to let me drive anywhere any more.  For all of you parents of tweens who won't have anything to do with you?  Good news! They want to spend time with you again when they get their driver's permit.  But something tells me this is the last HOO-RAH.

Unfortunately, not everything has been de-thorned roses.  Cam continues to make poor choices regarding friends and "extra-curricular"activities, and those choices continue to bite him in the ass.  A few weeks ago those choices resulted in the police coming to visit us at 2AM to question Cam regarding an incident involving drugs (weed) and a machete.  Fortunately, he was not in possession of either of those items, however he was with the group of kids where both of those items were present.

Choose bad friends? Find yourself in bad places.

I'm hoping this lesson is learned quickly

Progress, not perfection ... right??

~*~*~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad Cam is making progress and hope he will be back at the other school fulltime soon! As for the bumper sticker, I always hated them also!

Linda

Another Suburban Mom said...

My favorite sticker was always, "My dog is smarter than your honor student" Every child is different, and Cam is progressing well. Hopefully he will avoid people who like pot and machetes in the future.

Mike said...

'Progress, not perfection'

There is only progress. Perfection doesn't exist.

Jormengrund said...

Well, could be worse. I mean, I live in CONSTANT fear that my kids will do the same thing _I_ did while in school, and then I'd really be a busy fella.. At least you can thank your lucky stars he's deciding to play his own tune, right??

Lu' said...

I am happy for you both. Nowadays there is just to much bringing the hammer down. I hope Cam doesn't get hit from quilt by association.

Gina said...

I think that's pretty effing fantastic.

Alfro said...

Progress is progress.

Good to hear.

Raquel's World said...

Glad to hear about school progress. Sad to hear about the "weed" and machete.

kristi said...

Hope Cam figures it out! :) Great job on the grades!