27 October 2011

Focus on the Prize

~*~*~

Almost two years ago, I wrote a post about Dove's Real Women campaign (you can read it HERE).

In a nutshell, I believed then - and still believe now - that Dove (Unilever) is doing little more than attempting to increase their marketing base.

Their latest marketing genius??


"Help us create a world where beauty is a source of confidence
for girls everywhere"

Last weekend, Dove called for women all around the country to reserve one hour to help make a positive difference in a young girl’s self-esteem.

I actually like that call to action. It doesn't specify making a positive difference in a young girl's feeling of being beautiful, but rather focuses on self-esteem generally.

Yet I cannot get past their,"Help us create a world where beauty is a source of confidence for girls everywhere".

How about we focus on other more tangible and long-lasting qualities like intelligence or athleticism.  Why do we even need to address beauty - something completely subjective - as being a source of confidence?

Oh! And the funniest part of this? I learned of this campaign on facebook. My future (step)Sister-in-law had changed her avatar to the Dove Movement icon ... right after she spent the previous umpteen million posts begging for everyone to purchase cookie dough from her to help fund a trip for my niece to go to California to meet with a modeling agent.

My niece is a pageant participant and child model - she's 5.

~*~*~

2 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

Obviously Dove is simply trying to increase sales. That's what they do.

5 years old? That's pretty much where Hollywood wants to start 'em out. Also, she should see if she can get her 5 year old daughter a tryout of some kind with Disney. If she's lucky, they'll put the kid on their Slut Production Line.

Jay

Raquel's World said...

I think maybe they mean "beauty" in many ways. Intelligence is beautiful, talent is beautiful. One can have a beautiful spirit, or demeanor. So I choose to look at it that way. And hopefully Dove does too.