20 October 2011

Spell Check

~*~*~

I don't usually get involved in political protests. The masses usually come across (to me) as people looking for attention without being informed. Especially when they hang out with people like this chick.

(If you research this photo and send me an email telling me it's altered, 
I will hunt you down and write misspelled words on your forehead)

But??  I'm (probably) going to make an exception on Monday.

Sears corporate headquarters is on land that should provide tax funding to my son's school district.  23 years ago, in an effort to attract Sears to Illinois, the state provided economic development area (EDA) status to the property Sears purchased and built their corporate headquarters on (you can read more about it HERE).

For the past 20 years, Sears has received a HUGE tax break.  That tax break is scheduled to end next year.  Sears has been threatening to leave Illinois.  The Illinois Senate is voting on an amendment to extend the EDA another 15 years, essentially taking $200 million away from the school district.

I am not one who gets into state politics - especially in Illinois (waste of time anyone?). In fact, I've never participated in any type of march on a State Capitol, but ... but ...

Well, I think this is extremely important.  Rumor has it the real reason Sears is "demanding" the extension of the EDA is because they want to have the option of selling the property should they get a better deal from another state, and the EDA is a great selling feature in the current depressed real estate market.

The school district has the kids all riled up about this (of course), and Cam is certainly old enough to grasp a basic understanding of the impact of this legislation.  It's about time I got all hippie mom, march on the state capital with him, don't you think??  Hell, he'll be able to vote in the 2016 Presidential election.

*pause ... FUCK I'm old*

He turned in his permission slip for a spot on the school provided transportation (they are conducting a lottery as they don't have enough spots for all of the kids). If he doesn't get a spot on the school provided transportation, I'm going to take the day off and he and I will make the 4-hour trek to Springfield.

And there might even be a dinner with Sujomi in the deal for me.

~*~*~

8 comments:

Susan said...

Corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. Would Sears go under if they don't have the tax break?

I'm very glad you are back to blogging here. Welcome back.

Lu' said...

I'm glad you are writing here again. I always felt you were a very good read. I've not stopped by in awhile as you mentioned you were trying other avenues.


For me I like Blogger. I've never used tumblr. I rarely tweet. Facebook is good for catching up and keeping in touch.

Sujomi said...

Cozy Dog! Cozy Dog!

I'm With Stupid said...

All these redevelopment zones in cities and towns all across America are total scams. They're nothing more than corporate welfare. Taking tax money from working people and giving it to rich corporations. Oh sorry, do I sound like an Occupy Wall Street type there? ;-)

The only positive thing that has ever come of this is that these areas are usually zoned to allow for strip clubs too.

Jay

Mike said...

Jay said it.

Aonghus mac Bacastair said...

Dana,
Welcome back, I just happened to check by, and was very glad to see you're back to sharing your thoughts with the rest of us.

On the topic of your post, however, don't be so quick to conclude that Sears is bluffing on this one. I live just outside a medium-sized city in Virginia, and someone just bought a 300 acre plot just outside of town and is leveling it to put up something big. I have personally been approached for an IT position with a company that is moving here, with the recruiter being cagey about exactly who the company is.

The rumor mill around town is that some corporation is fleeing here from Illinois, although no-one is quite sure who it is.

Jormengrund said...

I have issues in trying to side with one or the other when it comes to politics and such. Mainly because unless I'm actually involved with the debate, there are two sides to the story, and you only get one side..

I prefer to keep my opinions vocal to friends and family, and then I vent what I want when I want, and not have to deal with others backlashing at me for my political opinion.

Speaking of which.. Did you see the ruckus the ILWU is raising in SW Washington Dana?? I really enjoy the strife on the home front!

Another Suburban Mom said...

Go for it! Its never too soon to get your children involved in the political process.