17 October 2011

On Your Mark

~*~*~

So ... blogging ...

I wanted more - more interaction - more conversation - more socialization

Or so I thought

I moved to tumblr - immersed myself in that "community" (their word - I would argue that description) - started "blogging" (again, their word - I would argue that description)

It was fun in the beginning. Mindless. Required very little thought or planning. Expectations were minimal. Then I dared to write a post in response to something someone else wrote

*GASP*

I was called negative. Told I didn't belong in the community. Reminded that people go to tumblr to escape and I was too serious. Nastiness ensued

It wasn't like I hadn't seen that kind of behavior before - the passive aggressive, write a post, take it down bullshit, then bitch when you learn I subscribed to your RSS feed and I call you out on your nonsense

I imploded - deleted my tumblr - threw a tantrum

Then I became on of "those" people and rebirthed my tumblr. I should have stayed away. It didn't get any better

As is true in any "community", there is a culture. I cannot speak for all of tmblr, but the "community" I found over there was supportive as long as all that you posted were pictures of yourself, pictures of your cat and pictures of your food ... oh! And pictures of your boobs if you are female (see why I thought I'd fit in?)

I found one or two actually bloggers, but the rest? They just found themselves the hipster version of facebook and thought they were better than those people

I really do need to write to process things. It gets the thoughts unstuck from my brain.  That doesn't mean my writing will be good, or even entertaining, but it does mean that the thoughts won't be banging around, bruising my brain

I couldn't do that on tumblr without consequences I wasn't willing to accept

Here?  This is my space (not to be confused with MySpace). No one can tell me I don't belong here

Well, you can, but I won't listen!

~*~*~

20 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Well either way, even though I do not always agree with your opinions, I respect your talent and am glad you are back.

Dana said...

Raquel's World, What?? You don't always agree with my opinions?? But I'm always RIGHT!! You should agree with them ;)

OsShirt said...

Glad you've seen the light (or the dark, as the case may be)!

Gina said...

YAYAYAYAYAY! So glad to have you back! :)

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

I'll add my voice to the chorus of "glad to have you back". :)

Dana said...

OsShirt, I think I wanted it to be exactly what I was looking for - traditional blogging with more interaction. If that exists on tumblr, I wasn't able to find it and the middle-school drama got to be a bit too much for me.

Gina, It probably won't be an every day thing, but I miss writing actual CONTENT. Enough of that playing around in social (dysfunction) media ;)

Dana said...

Ms. Inconspicuous, It's good to be back. I hadn't realized how much I missed this place!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

grass is always greener...except it ain't

no matter where you are in the waves of internet there will be those who will not respect your opinion...

so just do what you do and don't let the haters get to you

I'm With Stupid said...

So you're officially back to blogging for reals?

I'll alert the media. ;-)

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

You're kinda like the syndicated Seinfeld episodes around here. I never know what time or what station you're on.

Matt-Man

Dana said...

Vinny "Bond" Marini, well, at least I can say that I gave it a shot. The bottom line? Just as in real life, I don't do social very well and tumblr was WAY too social for me!

I'm With Stupid (Jay), I am! At least until some other shiny object catches my attention ;)

I'm With Stupid (Matt-Man), Seinnfeld?? I was thinking more along the lines of a certain BTR show that currently airs at 6:30PM ET on Saturday ... at least last time I checked it was ...

AmbyLand said...

You totally belong here! I missed you while you were away.

Mike said...

Liked this.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I am thrilled you are blogging again. I can't wait to hear you opine.

katherine. said...

well yea! Several have come back.

I only use my Tumblr for Instagram pics.

Dana said...

AmbyLand, I'll admit, I felt like I was missing the social media train - what I discovered is that it wasn't a ride I wanted to take.

Mike, but does it get a big red puffy heart??

Another Suburban Mom, well, you know me - I never run out of opinions ;)

katherine, I'm seeing that ... and it makes me happy!

Emmy said...

Welcome back!! :)

Anonymous said...

As I told ASM, it's good to see you here. :)

Jill said...

Nice to see you back here again. I've been hoping you'd come around.

Jormengrund said...

"Good things come to those who wait" and I KNEW that you'd come back to tickle my fancy with your posts if I waited long enough!

Glad to see that you're back Dana!!