08 January 2011

Regional Dialect Video Meme

~*~*~

Ahhh ... Saturday! The internets are closed which makes it the perfect day to post 5 minutes of my dribble!

Jay posted an audio version of this meme over at Every Day Jay but because I like RULES and this is called the Regional Dialect Video Meme, I decided to do it the right way. *gigglesnort*





If, after watching this, you cannot contain yourself and must do your own version? Here are the nitty-gritty details.

~*~

Introduce yourself - where are you from?

Say these words: Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

Now answer these questions:

• What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?

• What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?

• What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?

• What do you call gym shoes?

• What do you say to address a group of people?

• What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?

• What do you call your grandparents?

• What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?

• What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

• What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

~*~*~

8 comments:

Jay said...

You've never seen the sun shine while it was raining? That actually happens here quite often. The Sun will peek through the clouds and it will still be raining as a storm moves through. Kinda cool.

Great video. I've been enjoying watching and listening to everyone's dialect memes.

Al Penwasser said...

Great video! My answers...
1. TPing the house (by the way, tea pee is what happens when an Indian has too much Snapple and goes to sleep in his teepee).
2. Never had a word for that bug, beyond calling it "bug"
3. Sneakers.
4. Hey, guys.
5. Daddy Longlegs
6. Gramma and Grandpa.
7. Shopping carts.
8. Rain.
9. Clicker.
I'm from New England, if that makes a difference.

Mike said...

Interesting.... there seems to be a live person associated with this blog.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Raining while the sun is out is known as "The Devil is beating his wife". I don't know why.

desert rat said...

You talk like I do! I grew up on the West Coast, too, and you pronounce words the same way I do! Ha! I have a couple of different names for stuff:

"sow bugs" for the "rolly polly" bug; When I address a group of people, I usually say "hello, drinkers!" or "Hey, All!"; If the rain falls while the sun is shining - well, I don't really call it anything special; and the tv remote - well, it IS a "remote" but I generally, personally, refer to it as the "twanger." It's my own special name - not regional or anything and only Steve knows what the hell I'm talking about. Ha!

Raquel's World said...

Enjoyable

Deech said...

Thank you for the Soda Clarification....I am showing the wife this one and letting her know that at least one other person calls it Soda...not Pop!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I like this one and if I find time I shall do it...

Many of my answers will be the same as yours...but not all of them