04 August 2014

Adapt And Overcome ... Until You Feel "Comfortable"

One of the things that has happened as the result of having a childhood filled with turbulence (i.e. being the adult child of an alcoholic) is that I have developed a what I guess can best be called a survival skill set. Although not without stress and anxiety, I adapt well to whatever situation I find myself in ... especially the bad situations. Yesterday, it became clear that I have done that a little too well with life in Podunk.

Mike and I are planning a move to an area about halfway between our jobs. Right now, I have a 5-minute commute to work, while Mike spends at least an hour on his commute.

While looking at apartments and condos in the area we hope to move to, we decided to do a little exploring. I had never been to a Whole Foods (I know! Right??) and there was one in the area, so off we went. Mike warned me that many people find Whole Foods to be a religious experience. I was one of those people.

The first thing that hit me when we walked in the door was the smell - it was a wonderful combination of fresh flowers and produce, with a hint of hot deli thrown in. I had to just stand at the entrance of the market and gather myself for a moment.

Then we started our tour.

The colors were vibrant. The selections were amazing. I saw items I've only ever seen on episodes of Chopped. And the people ...

The people were just as vibrant and amazing as the store itself!

That visit to Whole Foods made me realize just how well I have adapted to life in Podunk ... and that isn't a good thing ... at all ...

I'm excited to be exploring our new life in a far more diverse area. I felt surprisingly comfortable yesterday - there is something to be said for selective anonymity. No one there knew me. They weren't going to report on what they saw in my shopping cart. They weren't wondering who the scary black man was with me. We fit in ... something we've been seriously lacking in Podunk.

1 comment:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Ahhh…I need to make a trip across town to the Whole Foods, but every time it rips a hole in my purse! I want everything I see! Coconut flour, yes…I need that!