27 April 2012

Where have all the bloggers gone?

~*~


Long time passing
Where have all the bloggers gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the bloggers gone?
Social Media has picked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

The more time I spend in social media (defined in this post as facebook, google+, tumblr and twitter), the more I miss traditional blogging. But have you tried to find a good blog to read lately?

I spent a good two hours on blogger the other day, hitting that NEXT BLOG link at the top of the page. That used to be a great way to discover new reads. Now? Most of the blogs I landed on hadn't had a new post in over two years.

*SIDE NOTE* I think there might be a business opportunity in starting up a final resting place for abandoned blogs

Let's be honest here, it's a lot easier to think up an ambiguous, sarcastic one-liner than it is to put 800 words together in a coherent and entertaining blog post. And in this immediate gratification society? Most readers have the attention span of a gnat with ADD - 140 characters is about all they can be bothered with.

If you've been hanging out here long enough, you know that I tend to be a traditionalist (not to be confused with an inflexible, routine driven old fogy). I don't believe the Constitution is a fluid document. I think HNT participants generally showed far too much skin. And I think real blogging is an art form that has been soiled by social media.

There is just something comforting about old school.

I used to worry that books would be replaced entirely by their e-versions as the iPad and Kindle became essential gadgets. Now? I believe the value of bound books lies in the way they touch your other senses - something e-books will never be able to do.

Just like books, I want to believe that real blogs will never go away entirely. Remember all of those fools who started up blogs 5 years ago because it was the thing to do? The ones who couldn't tell a story if their life depended on it? I think we called them mommy-bloggers for the most part.

*WINK* All of you mommy-bloggers who just read that sentence need to unbunch your panties now.

Real blogs? I think their value lies in the way they tell a story. Social media is little more than junk food for the brain. Real blogs? They are the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy of the written word.
 
And I'm hungry!

Tell me, are you still reading real blogs regularly? What are some of your favorites? Are there any blogs I should be reading that I'm not?

~*~

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to read your blog and I have kept you in Google Reader for about 4 years now? The honey HNT is my first visual and that came from when 'Sage' would post his honorary weekly post of his favorite HNT's. Os had you as well and I found your commentary to be very real and raw. So I continue to stick with you, I knew you would slowly come back - you thrive on mental stimulation and you never stop analyzing the best ways to get it. Much like myself.

I have often wondered where the bloggers went but then I realized it... in a nutshell, they either lost substance by always showing their tits (dont get me wrong, i love tits) or their respective spouse found out that their partner has been whoring themselves out on Blogger and forced the removal of blog.. the later one happened a lot and it really got old having to add and delete from the blog roll because they could not just be honest with their spouses. That got really old.

I miss blogging. I have blogged under the names of Dirty Madchen, Dirty Madchen's Ego and Anais Satire. All of which I thoroughly loved and loved the idea of expressing my thoughts in more than just a 140 characters.

But more importantly, I loved the friends .. actual friendships that I gained through telling my own life and my own thoughts.

I have seen your struggles via Tumblr, which by the way reminded me of 'Blogger' many moons ago, and I have had you on Facebook for a brief period and twitter. For me, the Dana I like is the one that always comes back here to Blogger. She is witty, charming, sarcastic, beautiful, enchanting and just an all around wonderful woman and Mom. I believe I keep you around mostly because you are so honest and real. These days, not many people are.

PS If you should find the bloggers, blogs worth a damn.. pimp them out... I wouldn't mind stalking a few myself.

Stacy

I'm With Stupid said...

I'm trying to still read blogs, but there aren't too many out there that I enjoy anymore. It's just not the same fun and irreverent Bloggerhood that it once was.

Jay

kristi said...

I read blogs when I get the chance!

Bilbo said...

You're always welcome over at my place ... and I link to several excellent blogs.

Dana said...

Stacy, *waves* I think I remember ALL of those blogs of yours! Maybe it's time for you to stir up another?

Thank you for all of the kind words. I'll admit - I've tried all of the other places the cool kids hang out (i.e. social media) and I just can't seem to fit in. There is a freedom in traditional blogging - it doesn't have the the social expectations that social media has (I've seen what happens on facebook and tumblr when you violate those social norms - holy hell!).

I will likely always have this place. It really is my meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy!

I'm With Stupid, it really isn't, is it? I keep looking for "personal" blogs, then add them to my reader for a while, hoping they pan out. They don't usually.

Dana said...

kristi, so do tell Kristi, what is it you are doing that is taking up your blog reading time? It's that DAMN social media, isn't it??? :-P

Bilbo, added to my reader! Don't let me down ;)

Mike said...

The 'NEXT BLOG link' doesn't get you much anymore. A lot of commercial blog sites and that's about it. The best way to get to new blogs is to go to commenters sites on other blogs and check out the blogs they follow.

I can't believe you haven't checked out Bilbo before.

Oh and I see you use a reader. That will cut back on seeing new blogs on the sidebars of other bloggers.

Unknown said...

I'm returning to blogging from too much time with FaceBook games.

Gina said...

I thought I was a mommy blogger. Now I'm hoping I'm not. Hmmm... ;)

JackBader said...

When I first started, which was not too long ago there was a great community of bloggers.. a lot have quieted down and or disappeared all together.

I have been really busy myself but am finally getting back to blogging again. I am hoping to find the community again, maybe with some different faces but with the same fun that we had before.

Sujomi said...

*quickly looks to see if I'm still on your sidebar - pumps fist in air in triumph*

Duckbutt said...

There are a lot of us still out here in the sticks blogging. Some favorites: Billion Versions of Normal, Bilbo's, evil pop tart, Transplanted Tennesseean in Montana, Alabama Noise.......

Another Suburban Mom said...

Well I'm pleased to still be up there! But I know you just love my cooking, and not my ass.