20 August 2013

"I think writer's block is simply the dread that you are going to write something horrible." - Roy Blount, Jr.

(Photo via MartinaK15 on Flickr)
I don't know if what I have is writer's block - unless you are defining it like Roy Blount Jr. - and even that isn't totally accurate.

I always said that I write for myself. That this is the place that I sort the thoughts in my head by putting them on virtual paper. This is still true, but a few things have changed.

I have an attentive, stable, and loving partner in my life. I now have the ability to talk to a real person who cares about helping me sort through the thoughts in my head. Someone who doesn't belittle or condemn me for not having it all figured out. A partner who offers me honest and helpful feedback. The healthy relationship that Mike and I have had for almost 2 years now has impacted my need for this blog.

It has also impacted my blog content.

Because I respect Mike (something I was lacking with husband), I do not write about him here unless he knows that I am writing about him here. Although far from perfect, my life is manageable now, and not the train wreck it once was (I know that fact is disheartening to a handful of you). Who wants to read about happily ever after?

Am I right??

Then there's the dreaded "V" word - validation. Let's just say that when you are posting half-nekkid photos of yourself each week, validation becomes a non-issue. Remember when blogging was one of the few viable forms of "social media"? Now it's easier to keep in touch on Facebook, write a 140 character "blog post", or to call the reblogging of large quantities of meaningless and unimportant media images, thoughts, and music selections a "blog".

Quite frankly? These days, it seems the average attention span can't handle much more than that anyway.

I appreciate every comment I get, but traffic has decreased (understatement) and I'm not sure that I write about anything relevant to what was once my reader base. Commenting takes far more time than clicking on a LIKE, a FAVORITE, or a HEART. Blog posts require the reader to actually be an active participant.

I've got plenty to write about, I just don't know if it's anything anyone wants to read.

Maybe it never was?

If you are still active on your "traditional" blog, what keeps you going? How do you stay relevant, or does relevancy even matter to you?

8 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

If nothing else, writing every day whether the content is "relevant" to anyone else, it is very therapeutic. Cheers Dana!!

Matt-Man

I'm With Stupid said...

Blogging is dead and while writing can be therapeutic, the time, hassle and frustration of blogging probably isn't worth it.

Jay

Tracie Nall said...

I think this is such an important question.

For me, blogging is still relevant.

140 characters is not enough.

Facebook is not really where I want to pour out my words, just to have them buried in the newsfeed after minutes have gone by, never to be seen again. (Yes, I know blog posts get "buried" too, but it feels different, and they are still easy to find through a search, and can be linked to in the future.)

Although I understand Tumblr - I don't love it. And it doesn't feel like the place to blog, or really write long form feelings. (I know some people do that there, but I am not into it.)

Blogging is cyclical, and a lot of people do it for a season, and then stop. Maybe what you need is to find a new group to hang with. It might bring some new vitality into your comment section, and make you feel more inspired to share your writing.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I might be past the therapy stage, although I'd like my writing to improve which would play to the "write everyday" plan.

Jay, Dead? Like DEAD dead? Like beyond CPR, call the time of death dead?? Do I need to get a radio show??

Tracie, I keep trying to get back into twitter, but the magic is gone. Facebook is ... well ... Facebook and I do write things here that are not Facebook appropriate. You know I like tumblr, but thoughts there have to be concise. I agree that community is everything in blogging (always has been), but I am having a really difficult time finding bloggers who have similar interests/are in similar life places as I am (but if you know of some please share them with me!). Maybe I'm just too old to be playing on the internet ;)

Jaimey said...

I haven't chimed in or read in a while, but it looks like you're well! So happy to read that. Love and hugs as always! ~Jaimey

Anonymous said...

Where's doggy bloggy and his freaking side kick troll now??? (cant remember the self righteous trolls blog name) Oh wait, they only stick around for the train wrecks...So, happy for you Dana that you are in a good place, let the healing continue.

Dana said...

Anon, how could you forget SNUGS??? Not sure what happened to her. My guess is like all trolls, she's still around, hunkered under a bridge somewhere. DoggyBloggy is still blogging about once a month, but I'm certain he has no time to waste on someone who is happy ;)

Jormengrund said...

I have to admit myself that I don't blog nearly as much as I used to as well. However, most of my trouble stems from trouble of finding the TIME to write, much less read one! When I get a chance anymore, I prefer to read on my favorites (this one included) and if I get some extra time, I'll write a blurb or three and hope someone might read it at some point!
Keep doing what you're doing Dana. Your dedicated readers will still keep paying attention!