15 October 2012

Run For Your Life!! And Take Your Stick-Figure Family With You!!

It surprises me that I can still be taken aback by things that happen on social media.

Yesterday, I posted this on tumblr (it was a random minivan we pulled up behind):




I don’t care that you have 3 kids
Or that you ran a half-marathon
And I can’t unfollow you
Fuck off and die



Was that post offensive? 

If you take it at face value, and not in the faux outrage way it was intended, I suppose you might be able to get there ... with a bucket load of creative license and significant dose of "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!!!"

Should it have resulted in public name calling ("slovenly," "obese," and "dumb fat ass cunt" were the chosen words/phrases)? 

I think that might have been a bit ... well ... over the top ... maybe ...

Look, I get that my opinion may not be shared by everyone. I think the stick-figure family decals are goofy, and the 13.1 and 26.2 decals pretentious, but that's just my opinion.

You like the stick-figure family decals? By all means, display them proudly on your minivan. Tell the world ... wait ... just what are you telling the world? And again, why should I care?

Anyway, I digress ...

You want every other driver on the road to know that you might be driving now, but you could be running if you wanted to? You feel that strangers should be as in awe of your running accomplishment as you clearly are?

Yeah ... no ...

And if your only means of attempting to sway my opinion on stick-figure families and marathon declarations is to sling insults?

It probably won't work ... in fact, it will probably just reinforce my opinion that stick-figure decals are goofy, and 13.1 and 26.2 decals are pretentious.

Any time a person responds to a difference of opinion not with a well thought out retort, but with vile put-downs?

They lose me, and I feel they've done little more than proven my point.

Do tell, are you an insult slinger? Do you feel it strengthens your argument? Is it fair game when you feel attacked, whether you are actually being attacked or not?

11 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I wouldn't have even known that the 13.1 indicated a marathon declaration. Which probably just proves how much I really do not EVER run. I'm okay with that.

I am not an insult slinger, and it is the fastest way to get me to leave a conversation.

Dana said...

From Tracie, 13.1 is a half-marathon. I think the accomplishment is admirable, but I don't understand the need to declare it publicly. And like you, if someone cannot present an idea without insults? I'm not listening :)

Tracie Nall said...

Now you have me curious. So if 13.1 is a half-marathon does that mean they ran 13.1 miles? That seems like a lot to me. It certainly couldn't be 13.1 feet because that seems like not enough.

Is a full marathon 26.2 of something?

Marathons are confusing.

Dana said...

From Tracie, Yes! 13.1 MILES!! and 26.2 MILES!! How crazy is that? Like I said, the accomplishment is admirable (I can't imagine running a 5K).

I'm With Stupid said...

I always find it amazing how personally people take the simplest and most innocuous things.

Jay

thepsychobabble said...

I hear you on the stick families, but man, if I ever managed to run a 1/2 or full marathon, I'd probably be ridiculously proud of myself. At least for awhile:)

Sujomi said...

I want this stick figure decal.

Tracy said...

When I was training for my first marathon, I stuck a 26.2 sticker on my car. I knew that in order for it to be legit, I would have to actually do the marathon, and I did. I think most people who don't do distance running/walking don't always know what the stickers mean, so it also serves as a way for us marathoners to identify each other. People who feel compelled to push themselves physically like that have a bond, which is awesome. However, if someone found my sticker obnoxious, I would probably laugh. It is kind of obnoxious, but I am proud of myself for finishing that marathon; I was going through a lot of difficulties and changes when I was training and that extreme physical exercise helped me to keep my sanity. However I would never think to attack someone personally if they thought I had a sticker that was obnoxious. I think the important thing to remember is that the way that people react to us has everything to do with them, their personal history, their emotional skills, and very little to do with us. However, you can rest assured that there will be always be someone getting offended by something on the internet. Being offended, it's the American way!

Dana said...

I'm With Stupid (Jay), yes, AMAZING is a good word for it. It's a good thing I've never taken anything on the internet personally ;)

thepsychobabble. I get the personal pride of the accomplishment - I don't get the pretentious public display of the said accomplishment. It just seems misplaced.

Dana said...

Sujomi, there were several on that link that I liked ... if I were one to put decals on my car windows ;)

Tracy, that bond that you speak of isn't limited to marathoners/half-marathoners. You'll find it in the military, with parents of disabled kids, etc. Can you imagine if we put decals on our vehicles for all of our accomplishments?

Tracy said...

Personally, I don't have any issue with people putting decals on their cars for things that are important to them. Anything that helps people connect with each other (or even promotes POLITE discourse/disagreement) is all good with me. At times it feels like in these times that it's so easy to feel isolated. Sometimes it's the littlest declarations that can help us find each other, and I don't think that's a bad thing.