27 April 2013

Why I Hate Facebook

I have some social media pet-peeves. I know ... I know ... that surprises all of you, but I swear it's true!

One of those pet-peeves is when people post photos of people for the sole purpose of making fun of them.

What's that you say? It's no big deal? Everyone does it? I just don't know how to have fun?

What about when it is your parents who do it? Your parents who berated you for being fat most of your childhood? Your parents who said things like, "If you weren't such a cow, you wouldn't have fat friends."? Your parents who are now struggling with their own obesity issues?

Is it still funny?

Recently, my mom posted this photo on Facebook. The reference to it being taken in South Carolina is a dig at my aunt and uncle who lived there for years.


If that weren't bad enough, my dad adds his opinion.

Disgusting ...

She's garbage ...

Why not just plop me back in 1979 and have me relive my teen years. I've been on the receiving end of this nastiness from these two people more times than I care to count. And 30+ years later they're still at it?

If this were any of my other non-related friends on Facebook (or tumblr or twitter), I'd just unfollow. I don't see the entertainment value in making fun of others - even strangers. If that's your thing, go for it, but I choose not to be a part of it, or a part of you.

But this is family, and not just distant relatives, but my parents for goodness sakes! Unfriending or blocking them would be ... I don't know ... I just can't go there. But EGADS!

Enough already!

5 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

Hmmmmm...I got nothing other than, that sucks. Cheers Dana!!

Matt

AmbyLand said...

You are totally right. I do laugh at pictures like that but I shouldn't.
Amber

Gina said...

My mom doesn't do that but she posts uber conservative statuses, then when I just can't help myself and I comment, she starts a (very public) war. I've learned to keep my thoughts to myself when I can. Luckily my dad is fairly well-behaved most of the time on there. But those pics like you posted? Straight-up mean. Not cool.

Anonymous said...

Sad...but the goodness in all this is that you have risen above it.

Knight said...

When I see a friend post something like that I just shake my head. I don't personally find it entertaining. This quote comes to mind though.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
Eleanor Roosevelt