14 January 2014

Just Write: The Probation Officer


Sitting in her office yesterday, I had hopes that maybe ... just maybe ... Cam would suddenly be inspired to get through his probation as quickly as possible - that he would realize his best choice (in a very bad situation) was to buckle down and get busy doing what needed to be done.

The first 10 minutes went well. Cam's probation officer went through which parts of the probation requirements he had already met (letter of apology, payment of court costs/fees, etc.). Then she brought up school, and the fact that Cam will have to graduate from high school in order to be released from probation.

Things went sour ... quickly ...

It became the ONE THING that elicits Cam to dig in his heels and fight

A power struggle

There was no empathy on the part of the probation officer. She couldn't, even for a moment, acknowledge that the situation Cam finds himself in SUCKS. Yes, it is the result of an impulsive decision. Yes, he is accountable. He knows all of that. What he craves is just for someone to acknowledge that this place he is in isn't a cake walk.

She chose to go with ...

"Do you know why I do this? I do this because I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Chicago. I do this because I have children and a family of my own. I do this because I have a relationship with God."

*blink*blink*

And then that last thread Cam was hanging on to snapped. It wasn't pretty

As a parent, there are places you never imagine you'll find yourself in. One of those is the juvenile justice system probation office ... 

We go back February 17th

I don't anticipate this visit will be any better

~*~*~

In an attempt to revive this blog, I've decided to participate in Heather King's "Just Write" campaign:
Write whatever is happening around you WHILE you are writing (sometimes that’s the very best) OR whatever DETAILS you remember about your day or a specific recent-ish experience.

Next, try not to clarify or explain what you want to speak through your post too much. (Try not to force a theme or message.) Just write your experiences. What did you: See? Smell? Touch? Feel? Hear? What did it make you think?

Then watch how your ordinary and extraordinary experiences speak all on their own. That’s it!
A special thank you to Jana for continuing to blog and inspiring me to attempt to get back to the platform that was (and still is) my first love. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

"Do you know why I do this? I do this because I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Chicago. I do this because I have children and a family of my own. I do this because I have a relationship with God."

All "I" and "my" and not one word about her client. Yes, I do think she is supposed to work for Cam.