28 December 2012

5 Things I Learned From The HNT Reunion

HNTbutton
  1. There are not a lot of "personal" bloggers left out there. Okay, so this isn't some glorious revelation. Most of us who have been around the blogosphere for more than 3 years have seen this change happening. Where there was once a blogging audience, now most people find themselves as key contributors, with several online personas that could all qualify as blogs (twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest, etc.)
  2. When you retire, it is usually best to stay in retirement. Just ask Brett Favre, Lance Armstrong, or Randy Moss. Sure, you can attempt a reunion, but you have to accept that it won't be what it was the last time you were together.
  3. There is no longer a HNT blogging community. It used to be that if you took the time to acknowledge a blogger, that courtesy was almost always returned. Not any longer. (I may have spoken too soon - traffic and comments picked up Thursday evening) It seems people use the HNT platform for self-promotion and little more. It's every blogger for themselves. This holds true for most "Link-Ups" on blogs these days.
  4. HNT was never about sex bloggers, until it became all about sex bloggers. I can count on a single hand the number of HNT Reunion posts I read that were not prefaced by the ADULT CONTENT warning when I landed on the blog URL. Those warnings used to be the exception, not the rule.
  5. It's never good to allow your self-esteem to be tied to the internet. There was a time when I'd have had 8 comments and 25 page views in the first 10 minutes I posted an HNT. Yesterday? After 14 hours I had 8 page views and 2 comments. This reinforced the lesson in number 2.

4 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

I missed it yesterday, but I left a very profound comment for you. Cheers Dana!!

Matt

Osbasso said...

Agreed. For the most part. I preferred to think of it as a reunion. I never anticipated it to be like "before". In my past HS class reunions, there were an awful lot of people you expected to see there, but didn't show. Same thing happened here. I'm a little disappointed in that. Interestingly, we did have a first-timer crash the reunion!

I wouldn't jump so hard on the adult warning labels, either. In most instances, those were voluntarily added by the blogger, as opposed to being slapped on by Blogger. I can think of at least two of the ones you mentioned that I wonder why they even added them!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for participating. I didn't know about the reunion, but for some reason I decided to go back to HNT to enjoy. It was a great holiday present to see if up and running if only briefly.

Dana said...

Osbasso, my comment about it being like before was really a self-reflection. I fell into that thought process - wanting it to be what it was. I set myself up on that one.