12 December 2011

Remembering Where I Came From

~*~*~

I have an aunt and uncle who are very dear to me ... far more like parents than my own parents were.

When I was 15, life in my own home became unbearable. One snowy January morning, I navigated my way the 40+ miles (on foot and public transportation) to the Greyhound station in downtown Seattle, bought a bus ticket to Spokane (where they live) with money I had been saving for months, and headed east. I spent 2 days living in the Spokane Greyhound station before I called them and asked if I could live with them.

They embraced the idea, found a bed for me, and made plans to have me transfer to the local high school and become a part of their family.

Unfortunately, my parents had different plans. Two weeks after arriving in Spokane my father gave me an ultimatum - get on a Greyhound bus back to Seattle within 24 hours, or he was coming to get me.

I got on the bus.

The last year or so my uncle (now 81) has taken to hand writing letters to Cam and me.

Following is an excerpt from the one I received this weekend. It made me so homesick - something I didn't know was possible at my age - and reminded me that there were some wonderful memories made in that very tumultuous time


Dear Dana & Cameron,

Sitting here looking at the pictures of Cameron and wondering how that good looking young man is doing. He's growing up so fast and really miss you guys being closer so we can be part of the growing up.

...

We only had 23 for Thanksgiving as Rick's kids went to their mother's house this year but was real nice. All are coming for Christmas Eve so we'll have 30+. Be fun and we are going to have a "White Elephant" draw this year so everyone only brings one gift.

We'll have a big taco feed Christmas Eve and ones who don't go to their in-laws, etc. can come Christmas Day for a big ham and scalloped potato dinner.

...

Well, enjoy the holidays and do plan to come visit in 2012. Better yet, move closer, OK?

Love you both and wish you a blessed holiday season!

~*~*~

7 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

That's sweet!! And damn...Tacos, Ham, and, Scalloped Potatoes. What's not to like? Cheers Dana!!

Matt-Man

Mike said...

Maybe it's time to move to Spokane? Or not. I'm sure there's a story there.

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

I'm glad you have someone like that in your life. That's really, really special. :)

Susan said...

I love how he says they "only" had 23 for Thanksgiving. Hosting "only" 23 would flip me out nevermind 30+! Very sweet letter.

Jormengrund said...

It's always best to know where you came from so that you can direct yourself to where you are headed.

If you do wind up closer to me, let me know, since we'll definitely need to get together for lunch or something!!

Anonymous said...

You are never too old to miss family ;) (is that greeting-card-worthy?)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Wonderful letter...