24 September 2007

Size 10 - Oh my!

I had no where else to “brag,” so figured my blog would have to suffice! Unfortunately, one of the people I had hoped would support me in this, offer me encouragement (i.e. Dick Head) doesn’t seem to feel the need to even acknowledge that I’ve lost weight (no, he’s not said one single time, since the beginning of the year, that I look any better than I did almost 70 lbs ago), so I’ll just toot my own horn!

As many of you know, I was “conned” (thank you Tali) in to joining a dreaded weight loss site at the beginning of this year. I’ve struggle with my weight since I was 5 (the last time I was at a “normal” weight) and have lost and gained significant amounts of weight over the years. So, I swallowed my pride (along with the last box of Twinkies) and signed up for SparkPeople.

It was really quite depressing to actually admit to myself just how unhealthy and FAT I had become. I calculated my BMI and was WELL in to the OBESE range. This was a project that was going to be long-term and seemed, well, beyond overwhelming to say the least. I needed to lose just short of 70 lbs to reach my “normal” BMI – a total of 27.5% of my total body weight.

Well, before I knew it I had reached the “overweight” BMI range. I know, most people wouldn’t celebrate being officially overweight, but for me it was progress and definitely worth celebration. Honestly, I really didn’t believe I’d ever see a “normal” BMI. It had been 20 years, and one child since I was any where near that weight, but you know what? I am just 5.4 lbs from being there and I *know* I’ll make that goal in the next few weeks.

The last time I went shopping, I was delighted to find size 14’s fit me. It’s been a few months, and I was fairly certain I needed to move in to a size 12 as I was rolling the waist band on all of my slacks to keep them up (not the most professional look). Off to the mall I went. I grabbed a few size 12’s from the rack hoping – praying to the clothes Gods – that I’d be able to actually zip them up. Well, there was a problem – they were too big! I had to go pull 10’s from the rack. I didn’t have to lie down to zip them up and I can actually do squats when wearing them without fear of busting out the butt seam.

I am quite proud of myself, but I also realize the real work – keeping the weight off – is looming in front of me for the next 40 years or so. It will no doubt be a struggle, but I think this time I can actually make this happen!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

I wish I had your motivation.

Leighann said...

That's incredible Dana! Congratulations :)

I'm with T, share the motivation!

Elisa said...

You toot your own horn if you want to! I think that's awesome. God, I'd love to be a size 10!

Share some of your tricks, please.h

Just Me said...

This is awesome. You should toot your own horn. That sometimes is the best tooting. :)

I agree with Elisa, share some of your tricks. I would love to get to a size 10.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Toot away! That's amazing and quite an accomplishment!

He is a Dick Head if he's not acknowledging this. That's a huge change in your body and your mind.

You rock!!!! Congrats on the weight loss.

Now, tell us your secrets!

Anonymous said...

Hell brag, brag and then brag some more... wooo hooo! :) Super accomplishment!